Whatever has happened to Beccles?

Linny

Enjoy the peace while you can, Linny! cheersbar

If you get up the hill into town please let us know how the King's Head is doing (Now a JDWeatherspoons)...

Oh dear I hope it's better than the wetherspoons in st.neots (I liked the kings head a couple of years ago), sure it's cheap but the beer and service are crap and it's soul-less even when busy, an elderly couple got banned about a month ago for having the cheek to complain about a hair in their food.

We've were told off in hull wetherspoons for having the cheek to sit at a table that had just been cleaned, asked for a clean glass in kings lynn wetherspoons and the barman had the full shelf out before he found 2 that we'd drink from (and I'm no hygene freak by any means), I've not been impressed by one yet.

Totally aggree with you there Leo, i`ve NEVER been a fan of Wetherspoons, as you say, the pubs have no atmosphere and generally are staffed with people who just don`t give a damn about the customers. We`ve got a Wetherspoons in our nearest town (Ferndown in Dorset) called The Nightjar, where Karen, me, and one of our colleagues from work met up and had an early evening meal. I had a mixed grill, and to be honest it was so badly cooked, you could`nt tell what was the steak,chop etc, and you could have used them as mini shovels, they were that hard. Probably been reheated a dozen times?. Never went there again, and have never been to any other Wetherspoons since.

Better off going to Rosie Lea`s in Loddon :naughty::naughty::naughty:

Regards to all ................... Neil.

It is a shame about Beccles they have a good harbour but it seems to be let go somewhat. the toilets and showers are a disaster, there used to be a good pub by the river many years ago The Loaves and Fishes but now it seems that the harbour area has been forgotten,as far as I know it is run by Sentinel which is part of Waveney District Council I believe. I think that if it were properly looked after it could be a gold mine for the town.

Perhaps the group that took over Beccles public hall and Lido would be interested in running it.

all that green space just sitting there doing nothing when you could use it for so many events it just seems a waste.

Sorry going to put my head above the parapet. Beccles is our home town and it is just as good as it always was. Peaceful , clean, not full of louts but just lovely country folk. As for the toilets and facilities at the Harbour, I was under the impression that until our lovely Harbour Master's ( who passed away) his dear wife used to clean these. May be things have been let slip but I am sure that the new staff there will soon get is ship shaped and Bristol fashion. You wait until we get some good weather - everywhere looks better in the better weather.

We were in the marina on Tuesday night, there were three other boats that were also moored, the showers were reasonable, but there were a couple out of order in the ladies.

Whilst I agree it would be great if there was more facilities nearer the marina, if these are only used by seasonal visitors they would be unlikely to survive.

Beccles is a great little town, it is just a pity that is not nearer to the marina.

Regards

Alan

I used to go in the Loaves and Fishes in the seventies as it was one of the few pubs on the Broads selling real ale at the time. It’s been closed for a while now, probably suffered the same fate as many other pubs.

Not been in the new Wetherspoons yet but I’m hoping to do so in a few weeks, I’ll be interested to see what its like.

For my money the best bet in Beccles is the Caxton Club (not to be confused with the Caxton Arms). It’s listed in the Good Beer Guide and although a members club they will let you in if you show your CAMRA membership or a copy of the Good Beer Guide. Really cheap prices and superb beer. I also like the Royal Oak – bit basic but they were selling Green Jack beer and it’s a very friendly pub. I don’t think the Bear and Bells is what it was.

We’ve always moored at the Yacht Station and found the Harbourmaster friendly and helpful. It only takes a few minutes to walk into town. I’m not keen on the swimming pool moorings though.

cheersbar

Another vote for Beccles, I like the place!

I've never had a problem with the toilets there personally, but not tried showering in them. I like the short walk up into town, and it's good to see it still seems to be a thriving market town with proper shops like butches and greengrocers, despite the Tesco invasion.

As for Weatherspoons, I must be lucky in that I've never had cause to complain in the one's I've visited and always had a decent pint (at an excellent price!), so I'm looking forward to trying the Kings Head on our next visit. As an aside, I noticed at the weekend there is a new Weatherspoons in Lowestoft due to open some time later this year, right opposite McDonalds.

I too like Beccles :)

It has retained its quaint small country town feel, and the toasted tea cakes, or afternoon cream teas in Twyfords are lovely.

Never used the toilets or the showers at the harbour, so I can't comment, but they would have to go a long way to beat those at the Waveney River Centre, which are excellent.

The little ice cream shop at the harbour sells really tasty soft ice cream, but their prices are a bit on the high side, IMO.

As for the harbour itself, the moorings are good, and it isn't too far to walk up into the town,

The loss off the harbour master last year, was a very sad thing, as he made the place all the more pleasant, with his accomodating, pleasant, and helpful manner.

I just hope that his replacement will follow in his footsteps.

Dave

I contacted the BA to make them aware that things were below par or rather there were reports as such. I am sure they wont mind me posting part of their reply which was:-

Beccles Yacht Station is owned and operated by Waveney District Council through their company Sentinel Leisure Trust.

The company can be contacted on 01502 588444 or email info@sintinellt.co.uk

I have also forwarded you comments to our Senior Waterways & Recreation Officer for his information.

I certain will contact Waveney District Council and gee them up a bit.

M

• 6 months later...

I was just having a bit of a browse through earlier threads so I hope no one minds me resurrecting this thread, I just thought I would stick my oar in as well.

I know Ferndown I used to stay at a De Vere hotel there when I had to visit Bournemouth Airport and on one occasion I didn't get there until around midnight, but they kept the bar open and I was able to wind down for an hour before hitting the sack.  I used to like the hotel, they were always obliging.

Another two votes for Beccles from us, we were there two days in August and it is a regular visit when we are on the Broads and as I have said elsewhere Mike was a good man and was certainly helpful to us on occasion, he's much missed I'd say.

Actually when we are south I do not necessarily feel a pressing need to go north, although there are nice places up there as well.  Oulton is another favourite.

Keith

• Like 1

Oh dear I hope it's better than the wetherspoons in st.neots (I liked the kings head a couple of years ago), sure it's cheap but the beer and service are crap and it's soul-less even when busy, an elderly couple got banned about a month ago for having the cheek to complain about a hair in their food.

We've were told off in hull wetherspoons for having the cheek to sit at a table that had just been cleaned, asked for a clean glass in kings lynn wetherspoons and the barman had the full shelf out before he found 2 that we'd drink from (and I'm no hygene freak by any means), I've not been impressed by one yet.

i did write a reply to this, but having read back through previous posts, i realised i`ve already replied to it.  Ooooooooooopppppps,  so i ve just deleted it.