Hello and some advice please

kathleenp

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

Yep we are all bought and rearing to get started as Mark (MBA Marine) came out and gave us some amazing advice. It will be moored up at Wroxham untill May when we will probably look for something a bit closer to Norwich. One thing I didnt tell you all was the reason for the boat - my beautiful daughter was diagnosed with a brain tumour back in November and the thought of not being able to drive for 12 months was too much for her - having a boat on the broads is top of her bucket list and now she has something to really look forward to.

She had her op on Friday morning to have it removed and all was successful so as soon as the weather is fine enough and she is well enough you wont be able to keep us away !

I want to get her a get well pressie - something to do with the boat, her friends gave her a framed pic to keep beside her bed but I want to get something a bit more useful but still nice - any ideas?

Kathleen xx cheers

• Like 3

maybe not useful but a personalised plaque with words of your choosing, many companies do these things however if you go to Brian Wards over in Brundall they could do you something on the same material as your helm panel. They are also a great company to deal with and may have far better Ideas than I so worth a look, (they have a website but there is no substitute to going over and talking).

Failing that a bottle of Gin for the two of you to share on board when she is feeling up to it.

• Like 1

How about some crystal glasses engraved with words/message of your choosing ...... Then they can be put to full use for celebrating your new boat.

Wishing your daughter a healthy speedy recovery.

I hope the recovery is speedy, and everything turns out OK.....

I would not get her anything for the boat....

Buy her a bottled of champagne (not the dear stuff, as you will find out).....

Let her name the boat, and give it a proper launch (using the cheap stuff, to smash on it) while you quash some good stuff....

:Stinky

• Like 1

Kathleen, so sorry to hear about your daughter, I have two sons of my own so can't imagine what you are going through.

As for a gift I am with Iain (Broadscot) you being there with lots  of cuddles and kisses, hope she gets well soon, no better way to recover than on a Boat on the Broads (a couple of bottles of something nice should help). Will be thinking of you both.

Grace 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Edward William Marine Services was added to the Financial Conduct Authority's list of 'Unauthorised firms and individuals to avoid' three years ago. Click on the link, scroll down to the list of names, click on letter E, and it's on the second page ( or just click here to go straight to that page)

You pays yer money...

We use yachtmaster insurance and found them very easy to deal with also quite competitive. ..... ours is £130.00 and includes free dinghy/tender cover.

• 3 weeks later...

Good job we went with Yachtmaster then !! phew lol

Kerri and I had our first day out today on our own - really please that I was able to get back into our mooring as it was the tightest corner ever, did struggle a bit outside the Swan at Horning though big windy and it just didnt go where I wanted it to !! I need more practise lol

One more question for everyone... thank you so much for all your help so far dont know what I'd have done without it.

We've been looking at moorings - currently at Barnes in Wroxham, dont fancy it for the summer as just a bit too touristy and also Kerri wants to be closer to Norwich. So thinking of Brundall. We had a look round and currently between Tingdene or Brundall Garden, the former being double the price but seems to be much nicer - anyone have any experience of either of these?

It was good to see you out, if you did not realise I was the weirdo that gave you a wave as you were heading out of Wroxham!

Tingdene does suit your needs, but it would not be my choice for no other reason than I just dont like it, its a little bit 'look how big my boat is!'

• Like 1

Hey we recognised you Mark - hence we both waived back... although I think we just waived to everyone today anyway hehehe

Yeah that is my one worry - our little falcon will look a bit lost in there but it seemed so nice and peaceful. Brundall Gardens was nice for the price - although you need a shoehorn for the berths, but I'd feel a bit nervous if we wanted to sleep over as its just a bit too remote.

Brundall Gardens is very secure, and is nearly fully refurbished.  We are out on the river and have never had a problem. The fees are competitive and Sam is helpful.  You will soon get the hang of mooring, people will always offer to help and if no one is around to help, at least they can't see you mess up.. 

• Like 1