Hello and some advice please

kathleenp

No I dont think we did - we just drove down yesterday and had a wander after (I think it was Chris) showed us around. We're still getting used to everything. We have the trip from Wroxham over to wherever we decide to go in a few weeks - so need to decide soon and have an early start!

• Like 1

Hi Kathleen,

We are moored at Tingdene and find it to be very good having stern mooring with finger pontoons on one side of the boat. There is an electric post/dock light and water point between each pair of boats.

Parking bays are near to the boats. There is a security barrier to prevent unauthorised vehicles entering the marina. The toilets/shower block is always clean & tidy, but where we moor is  a fair walk, but in most cases tends to be a ride in the car.

Yes it is slightly more than some of the other marinas.

If you look in the useful links and slipway information we have a list of most of mooring available and the mooring fees charged, this was updated during last season.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

There are many other small marinas in Brundall to consider. It's we'll worth a walk down there to have a look around. There are also a couple of vacant moorings at Reedham Marina (where we keep our boat) that are considerably cheaper than Tingdene. There is a station in Reedham for the train to Norwich, though it is about 15 mins walk.

Hi,

We have just moved to Cove Marina, very happy, all facilities + 5 minute walk to the station, Yare PH & Brian Wards, you will need to visit them all at sometime.

Give David a ring on 01603713663 I think he has a couple of spaces available.

Paul

Hello ladies,

We are at Brundall also, with Moonlight Shadow a boat share, moored at Broom.  I think Brundall has a lot going for it in general as a place to moor and like Paul we are only a five minute walk from the railway station.  As I have said elsewhere we are lucky with our neighbours.  The one blot on the horizon is going to be the road works in the vicinity of Postwick, I cannot remember exactly what BuffaloBill said now - must concentrate better!

Keith

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Once again such brilliant replies thanks everyone. Been bit of a mad couple of weeks so negotiated another couple of weeks at Wroxham to give me a chance to sort things out.  But ringing Tingdene tomorrow to secure a place there as it seemed so nice and secure and just liked how open it was - it will become 'The Office' during the nice weather (whenever that may be) so I think lack of wifi at the smaller places would be an issue.

Was hoping to get to meet a lot of you at Salhouse but looks like we will be moving that weekend then we have a business meeting all day on the Sunday - unless I bring the business meeting to the boat.... now thats an idea lol :party1:

• Like 1

Hope you all have a good weekend at the Salhouse meet, we are moving from Wroxham to Brundall Fri/Sat so give us a toot and a wave if you see us.

I've got a friend to help us pilot across Breydon Water on Friday as I was a bit nervous about doing it on my own - he is asking me how high the boat is but I cant find it anywhere on the documentation - anyone got any ideas how I can find out? I asked Barnes and they didnt know.

I'm planning Wroxham to Gt Yarmouth then staying overnight round there somewhere then carry on to Brudall Sat morning - does that sound feasable? :Stinky

- he is asking me how high the boat is but I cant find it anywhere on the documentation - anyone got any ideas how I can find out? I asked Barnes and they didnt know.

I'm planning Wroxham to Gt Yarmouth then staying overnight round there somewhere then carry on to Brudall Sat morning - does that sound feasable? :Stinky

Kathleen, Hi

Only way to get your air-height is to take a tape measure with you and measure it. With a pole of some sort laid across the highest part you can get a pretty accurate measurement.

The tides aren't helpful to you for a Fri/Sat trip to Brundall... in that Slack Water Low at Gt Yarmouth is at  13.17 Fri and 14.22 Sat.

So if you plan to arrive and stay at Gt Yarmouth on Fri you'll have to wait until after 14.22 on Sat if you aren't to punch into a tide all the way to Brundall.  And that tide can be quite strong, even on Neap Tides.

We are doing the same trip Sun/Mon and will pass by Gt Yarmouth at 15.17, then take the flood to Burgh castle for an overnight. I will then set off at 06.00 or earlier to take the flood to Brundall.

Wroxham to Gt Yarmouth is 24 miles and at the posted speeds will take you about 4.30hrs - 5hrs. Gt Yarmouth to Brundall is just over 18 miles and takes about 3.30hrs. (You can cruise at 6mph a lot further on the Yare).

Hope this makes sense!

(You could, of course, carry on to Reedham or Cantley for your Friday Night out!)

• Like 1

HI Kathleen. Personally I won't overnight at Yarmouth due to the strong tides, and there has been known to be issues with unsociable behaviour late at night. I'm not saying that it is on a regular basis but it's not for us.

I would much prefer to carry on to either Reedham or Cantley especially as you are relative newbies. 

It looks as if we won't be able to say 'Hi' before you go as we won't be down this weekend  :cry

I was talking to the previous owner on Sunday morning who now owns a Sheerline like ours  :dance

Have a safe trip and maybe we will meet on the rivers somewhere.

Edited to add that the Air Draft (Height above water) is about 7' 11" so arrival for passage through those bridges does need a little planning as I believe that means with the screen down and the canopy/arch too. I'm not sure what it is with everything up.

• Like 1

Thank you - yes I think carrying on to Reedham sounds like a plan - I was thinking more Berney Arms area rather than GY itself.  I was hoping we could do it all without taking the canopy down but this is all proving more complicated than I'd thought lol

Any other tips about getting across Breydon would be greatly appreciated. The guy who is coming to help us pilots boats for a living but he doesnt know the broads so we are going to be a right bunch of ametuars so you are probably better off staying away this weekend ;-)

The rise and fall of the tide around Yarmouth and the

Berney Arms is about 6 to 7ft. Iv'e known some people

have a problem getting on and off, so as newbies, this

is something you should keep in mind, if only for your

mooring lines once tied up. Also, the tide does run fast

around there if mooring or leaving at mid-tide when it is

running the fastest.

There is usually a ranger/harbour master at Reedham

to help you so a much better option in my opinion.

To break the journey up, you could stop at Acle or Stokesby

for a snack or meal and then go down with the tide to arrive

about 13.30 at the Yacht Station and you should have about

8ft 6in of clearance through the bridges. Just keep a look

out for the bridge height gauges on your starboard(right)

side once you enter the built up area. They are easily spotted.

Arriving at this time will mean meeting a very slow incoming

tide until you go around the yellow post but then it will give

you a good push all the way up to Reedham.

(These times are based upon how I would time the passage)

If you do decide to moor at Berney Arms, make sure you use spring lines due to the rise and fall of the tide as BB has already mentioned. You don't want to tie up at high tide only to find your boat hanging from the posts at low water!

Also, make sure you fender up well for the same reason. We moored overnight there at Easter to have an evening in the pub. It's not too bad but can get a bit noisy if it's windy, with the waves slapping the hull. We tend to set half our fenders low so they are touching the water, and the others high so they are doing their job when the water is low.

And ALWAYS come into a mooring against the tide. You'll need to do that pretty much everywhere on the southern rivers as tides are much stronger than oop North!

• Like 1

We made it ! all thanks to everyones brilliant advice, we got to Gt Yarmouth about 13.15 so just in time for slack water and it was just under 9ft going through the bridges but oh my life we had a storm going across Breydon water and so glad my friend was with us - laughing all the way as to him it was something he gets on the North Sea all the time !

Stopped off for a late lunch at Reedham then headed off to Brundal and made it in sunshine for the last leg. Have to say I hope my daughter enjoys being able to get back and forth to Norwich as from what I've seen so far the North Broads are a lot more pictureseque than South lol

Hopefully my next my trip is a lot less stressfull cheers

• Like 2

Hi Kathleen. Glad it all went well for you. 

There's parts of the southern broads which are just as

picturesque as some of the northern broads.

The section from your new mooring into Norwich is one as

is the section from Beccles to the Locks Inn at Gelderston.

We will be down your way on 6-7th June and later covering

Loddon, Beccles and Oulton Broad.

Are you likely to be about then? (or any other members)

Just for interest, how long did it take you?

Bill and Jenny

• Like 1