Buying a Boat

Gracie

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Grace.   How did the visit go, did you decide to bite the bullet and buy her?

The feeling that it is yours and anything you do will just improve things, to make it more comfortable is soooooooooooooooo good! 

If we had a lot of spare pennies, and lived closer to the broads, that is the direction we would go.

SueH

• 4 weeks later...

\well, we have done it, we are now proud owners of a Birchwood 22 (not 25) as from yesterday.

She is in lovely condition and not much needs doing, she really is ready to go.

Got the price down thanks to Frank and Martins advice on haggling, you would have been proud of me guys lol

Going this weekend to have a clean and tidy and maybe spend the night on board.

Just like to say a big thank you for all the advice, I took notes and sounded like a true professional lol.

What an excellent Forum this is for advice and guidance thank you all so much

once again  :kiss

• Like 4

Well Done Grace!

Apart from the bright colour scheme what are your other plans for Your Boat (sounds great doesn't it).

Have you plans to where it will be kept and where your cruising area will be?

As Martin says the hardest part and trim purse has yet to come.

River Toll

Insurance

Mooring Fee

BSS

Fuel

Gas

Renewals

Repairs

If you want any advice of where to get any of the above please feel free to contact me or any of the other forum members.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

Oh I'm so envious.  As everyone else says, now comes the hard bit!  Mind you if you are close, then being able to use her at any time you want is magic. 

What is she called or are you going to rename her?

SueH

Oh and by the way - pink fenders sound the bizz to me!  S

• Like 1

Hmmm Pink fenders eh? I reckon you're going to have to do that now. Actually I think that wouldn't look bad at all.

Congrats for making the "leap of faith", If you use her a lot she'll pay for herself. Whatever you WERE going to do at weekends and holidays, it would cost. Balance that against the running costs and it starts making sense. The capital expense is recoverable later when you upgrade or when you've had enough.

Have you decided where she's going to live? At 22' she may well be good for trailing. Perhaps you've thought of that possibility.

Anyway, Great news especially if it means seeing lots of you on the broads.

• Like 2

Well done Grace! now even your bad days will be good while on the boat, I know there will be other recommendations for Insurance, but I've always used Edward William at Womack, My Hampton 25 cost me £150 a year but you can pay in three instalments if you want and they don't need a survey, I had one claim years ago and they paid up no problem,

Frank,,,

• Like 1

Hello All

All I can say is a huge thank you once again for your support on buying MY boat, (that does sound good Alan).

My husband and two sons have threatened to disown me (me not the boat) if I dress her in pink fenders, pink curtains and name her Pink Lady, honestly you men.

The boat lives at a Marina on the Medway, we intend to use her for weekends but have main holidays on the Broads, haven't given a thought to the trailer idea but might look into it.

Mark if I see Ellieknight will give you a wave.

Sue, don't be too envious, she  is just an old banger really, but in love with her just the same, and looking forward to a good bad day on the boat Frank.

Supposed to be going on a night out with the girls tonight, they will have to pay cos I am broke lol

Grace

• Like 2

Just spent our first weekend on board and it was lovely, most of Saturday evening we spent outside with the canopy back and having a few drinks, although it got cold we just put extra clothing on and had another drink lol

Only took us an hour and fifteen minutes from leaving home so not bad at all.

:Stinky

Grace

• Like 1

Hi Grace,

There is nothing better than spending some time on the back of the boat, ideal if the canopy is down, but it is almost as good sitting under the canopy.

We will attach one of those led lights onto the canopy frame or you can buy lights to make it permament.

At the end of the day with a good glass of Merlot (beer or larger if you wish), just watching anything happening on the river before it goes completely dark, perfect. ice slice

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

Could'nt agree more Alan, on holidays I often sit outside of the boat until very late just listening to the wild life and the water and of course with a glass of something in hand, magical.

We have one of those led lanterns you can charge at home and works for weeks apparently, took it with me when going for a walk at the marina on saturday evening and it worked very well.

Grace

Hi Grace,

When me and my canal budies (three couples Tan being the youngest and into our late sixties, or so my mate keeps saying) leave the hired narrow boat and wander back from the pubs we visit tend to use the wind up led torches.

All that can be heard all the way down the tow path is the sound of all the torches being wound up and the odd flash of light.

Its amazing how the trip back to the boat seems to go quicker :naughty:

Regards

Alan

• Like 1