The canals

Hi Alan,

Yes being at the tiller can be a problem in the rain especially if you are on a ring route or have to get back to the boat yard.

On a bad day you see boats moored up going no where, or you see one or two people on the back of the boat in their foul weather gear, or one of them holding up a fishing umbrella.

The umbrella is not a bad idea when going through some of the tunnels that have roof top vents.

Not any worse than being partially under the canopy with the screen zipped out, glasses covered in wind driven rain for nearly two hours getting up the Chet for a safe haven out of a storm.  

Any form of boating where you are cold and soaking to the skin is never good, fishermen on the other hand seem to revel in it :naughty:

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

I guess those who want a warm & comfy box to sit in will never understand us "real people (wanted to say men but realised I couldn't!!)" who revel in life at the end of wooden stick (standing not sitting) imagining life as captain on one of Nelson's fleet.

Oh are me hearties ..... bit of rain never hurt anybody ....... Chuck a bucket of salty water in me face ...... proper boating.

• Like 4

Being in the open, steering a NB is one of the downsides, unless you are lucky and get a dry weeks weather. I suppose hiring a boat on the Broads with a sliding canopy, was one of the reasons why we decided on trying the Broads. If it's warm and sunny, we can slide the canopy back, and if it's cold or wet, we can enjoy the journey from the warmth and comfort of the cabin, with a nice mug of tea or coffee and see all the yachtsmen in their waterproofs, getting soaked. 

• Like 1

I have to agree with miss smelly loo here......

The best time I have had on the Broads was when we hired San Pedro.... a rear steer.....

To catch the tide we set off from Bernie to get through the bridges at yarmouth as soon as we could, i knew that I would have to have the canopy down, as the falling tide would not be low enough with it up...

(before people say, wait till slack water, or go with the tide to save fuel, i needed to be North as soon as, so went over Breydon with the flow and turned at the dolphin against it)

IT WAS PIZZING IT DOWN

I went over breydon, canopy down waving like a nutter to the "bathtubs" coming south, I had my full waterproof fishing gear on, you should have seen their faces, and if you could lip read, I was called all the silly names under the sun....

But I hit the bridges, (not literally), at the perfect time, straight under and Northward bound......

THEN......

It blerdy stopped raining

It's no fun boating in perfect weather....

You learn nothing.....

:Stinky

• Like 4

I have to agree with miss smelly loo here......

The best time I have had on the Broads was when we hired San Pedro.... a rear steer.....

To catch the tide we set off from Bernie to get through the bridges at yarmouth as soon as we could, i knew that I would have to have the canopy down, as the falling tide would not be low enough with it up...

(before people say, wait till slack water, or go with the tide to save fuel, i needed to be North as soon as, so went over Breydon with the flow and turned at the dolphin against it)

IT WAS PIZZING IT DOWN

I went over breydon, canopy down waving like a nutter to the "bathtubs" coming south, I had my full waterproof fishing gear on, you should have seen their faces, and if you could lip read, I was called all the silly names under the sun....

But I hit the bridges, (not literally), at the perfect time, straight under and Northward bound......

THEN......

It blerdy stopped raining

It's no fun boating in perfect weather....

You learn nothing.....

:Stinky

We did the same, we needed to get pass G/Y and it was pouring down. This was with our last boat a Shetland 4+2. We could not have the cover up, because of the bridges. We were soaked to the skin when we got to Thurne and other boat users looked at us as if we were mad :summertime: . Rain had stopped by the time we got to Thurne.

Regards

Marina :Stinky  

• Like 2

Being in the open, steering a NB is one of the downsides, unless you are lucky and get a dry weeks weather. I suppose hiring a boat on the Broads with a sliding canopy, was one of the reasons why we decided on trying the Broads. If it's warm and sunny, we can slide the canopy back, and if it's cold or wet, we can enjoy the journey from the warmth and comfort of the cabin, with a nice mug of tea or coffee and see all the yachtsmen in their waterproofs, getting soaked. 

Not a downside at all - pits one on total contact with nature and then, when and if it all gets a bit much - tie up and fire up the stove. Perfect bliss and we cruise winter and summer on our nb :-)

I liked it when on hitting another Barge he told Prunella it was a "contact sport".I wonder how many times we will hear that when we get hit when mooring up especially on a windy day.

I love the programme but that comment was well out of order and did not go ddown well with a lot of narrow-boaters. Bumps happen but it should not be seen as the norm. It was the number of bumps we received that helped make us sell out Broads boat and go back to canal boating

The "contact sport" comment isn't something I would have expected from somebody of Timothy's canal boating experience. He hit lock entrances and I think at least one other boat in the previous series as well.

The other series "Barging around Britain" is no better with the waterways employee hitting the sides in the Harecastle tunnel.

You are bound to get some contact with newcomers to narrowboating but it doesn't help the image of the pastime when TV programmes include these scenes (probably for effect).

Roy

• Like 1

Not a downside at all - pits one on total contact with nature and then, when and if it all gets a bit much - tie up and fire up the stove. Perfect bliss and we cruise winter and summer on our nb :smile:

I can see where you are coming from as you own your own boat, but if you are hiring for a week and want to cover the Four Counties Ring, you cant keep mooring up if you get three or four days rain, or you would never get round in time to get back to your hire base. I am not running Narrow Boats down, because in the past I have covered most of the canals and thoroughly enjoyed it. 

Time for a change now, by discovering the Broads, which we have never done before by boat.

I can see where you are coming from as you own your own boat, but if you are hiring for a week and want to cover the Four Counties Ring, you cant keep mooring up if you get three or four days rain, or you would never get round in time to get back to your hire base. I am not running Narrow Boats down, because in the past I have covered most of the canals and thoroughly enjoyed it. 

Time for a change now, by discovering the Broads, which we have never done before by boat.

Understood. We have owned for years. We gave the canals up for the Broads but found the latter was not for us. Beautiful though they are, they are quite heavily utilised boat-wise in the summer. So, we sold an bought another narrowboat, which we currently keep on the River Great Ouse (well we moor on the Little Ouse). It works well as we live in Norfolk (Potter) and love it!

• Like 2

I've watched the Timothy and Pru series and am enjoying it immensely. You lot take it far too seriously! Yes, they have boating experience but still don't profess to be know it all experts. They make mistakes and acknowledge this which is refreshing. It is also reassuring to new boaters as well in that they can see that everyone can make a mistake and still have fun and enjoy the experience. To suggest that this is left out is just plain daft! Why on earth would you want to try and convince people that the mere thought of an error or mistake is catastrophic? That's not real life in any shape or form.

The way these two present this program is admirable. They share some pretty personal stuff with the watchers and their enthusiasm and love of boating is very infectious. Add to this the likes of the wander around the cemetery and reminiscing, the snippets about Spratts Warehouse and Limehouse Basin and Camden Lock. I want more! I'm looking forward to trip on the Midi.

• Like 5

Hi Geoff,

I hoped it would be the Scottish Canals next week, but it would be good for you to see the program whilst you are there.

After the program had finished (we recorded it and watched it later) Tan wished that the next episode was on next, we could watch this type of program for hours, the only issue is that we then long for another canal holiday.

Given the time and the cash we could certainly spend a good deal of time on an extended canal journey. 

Are you setting off from the Falkirk Marina and have you planed your route yet?

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

We just love the programme with Pru and Tim.    Not that I personally would want to go through London on a canal boat, too many weirdos for my liking in some parts they would worry me stiff.     I know it didnt worry those two but they do have a camera crew with them.       I did wonder how they were going to take the canal boat up the Thames but that became clear at the end - they didnt.

Wish next weeks episode was in the UK - have we not got enough canals of our own to film.

• Like 1

I agree Tim & Pru's adventures are worth a watch.

I loved the bit where Pru went into Rotweiller mode when somebody dared to discard an empty bottle in the canal. Just as well she was encouraged to show restraint given the individuals concerned.

Just the right blend of boating and interest provided by the people they meet on the journey.

• Like 2

First time I have seen some of the canals around London, and quite interesting. The only off putting side of having a canal holiday around London, would be some of the locals, like those shown in the film. As Hylander has said, Tim & Pru had the protection of a camera crew, if things had gotten out of hand.  

• Like 2

Just watched my recording from last night of the Canal du Midi.

Quite a bit of carnage. I know there is a whole film crew in attendance, but I do wish the old girl would wear a life jacket and not attempt to jump ashore. But I guess it is a whole lot better than Wallace Arnold!

Great series, I think. I do cringe at the crashing about, though. Having owned and hired on the cut, I prefer the Broads for flexibility, and of course, mudweighting off for the night on a broad is the best way to spend the night.

I read Tom Rolt's book some long years ago and would recommend it highly. I also loved Sheila Stewart's 'Ramlin Rose' pub Oxford. This is a composite reminiscence based novel about the life of 'Rose' a canal woman.