rowing dingys

I suggest you ring Richardson's. The advice in the FAQs on their web site is:

"Can I hire a dinghy or rowing boat?

Yes – these do need to be reserved in advance by phoning the Stalham Boatyard on 01692 581081 or Acle on 01493 750283 as there is limited availability. Sailing boats are only available from Acle."

As for hassle, they can be very useful in the busier times of the year, for getting to shore when shore moorings are full e.g. Horning and Ranworth, or for a bit of fishing (in season,of course), or for doing a bit of exploring. If you've got youngsters in your crew, they can have fun paddling about. Getting one with a sail as well can be even more fun.

BUT, a member of the crew must be allocated the job of looking after it when mooring (or leaving a mooring). FWIW, I haven't used my dinghy for about 6 years, but then, I'm not fussed about mooring at Horning or Ranworth :)

We hired a dinghy from Richardsons last year and I think the cost was about £40, we will never not hire one again it was so much fun.

As Paladin has said you need to allocate a crew member to take care of the dinghy when mooring and always wear life jackets.

We mud weighted at Ranworth last year (August) as all the moorings were taken so rowed over to the pub for a meal, it was quite eventful on the way back after a couple of drinks lol

Great for exploring where a cruiser won't go and I suggest a row around Barton Broad at sunset, breathtaking.

Grace

• Like 1

Life jackets have already been mentioned, but a couple of additional safety points...

If you've mudweighted somewhere and row ashore for the evening, remember to take a good torch with you and leave a light on in the boat, so that you can find it again in the dark.

• Like 1

Hi Andy

Take it from me it's a lot easier getting on and off the dinghy from the bank when moored up than it is mud weighted on a Broad especially if your wearing a little summer dress, really not very dignified lol, don't know about falling in and drowning but my family nearly died laughing watching me trying to get back on the bloody boat.

Grace

• Like 1

Andy, many years ago at Ranworth Island my father in law and my wife were having a dip in the Broad,(it was a boiling hot day) however they could not get back onto the cruiser. I did my RNLI bit and rowed them round to the side of that same island, the area if you don't know it can get very slimmy mud! You can imagine the state the pair of them were in as we washed them down a bit before coming back on board to shower. Dinghys DO have their uses!  :naughty:

• Like 1

We were considering hiring a dinghy, and heading up north, i`d` love to venture further up the North Walsham and Dilham canal, but i`d feel safer in a dinghy than one of the canoes from Wayford bridge, especially with young children on board. The only problem is Maffett Cruisers don`t have rowing dinghies.

Regards to all ...................... Neil.

My advice would be to consider very carefully whether you really want/need a dinghy.

Yes they can be very useful or good fun BUT they can also be a pain in the a***.

Give plenty of thought as to where you are likely to moor overnight as a dinghy bumping against your boat can be very disturbing when trying to get some sleep.

Even worse is if it someone else's dinghy knocking against your boat!!!!

A few years ago we took my Daughters family with us and thought it would be good for the grandkids to have a dingy. It was excellent from the fun perspective, and really usefull at Ranworth when we moored on the Island. Two trips both ways had all off us ready to explore and eat on the staith.

The were two drawbacks, one already mentioned by Jeff. The other was the frantic activity when you started going astern only to have one of the crew shout "the boat". Easy to forget it was there when you don't usually hire one. It was close to being an ex boat when I turned around at Norwich.

• Like 1

That was over a year ago Grace, thankfully am a lot better now ta. I made my goal last year to get back on the BROADS and managed that late September early October, with a fab weeks weather too.

Now only 33 days to go (not that am counting them down) till I return there  for a 11 day holi! :Stinky

cheers Iain.

I haven't had a dingy for a few years but I agree they can be fun and useful. But! You do need to be prepared to do the extra work when mooring. Stern on mooring becomes a hassle in my view. Once you're moored, stern on or not, you find yourself needing to move the dingy sometimes to make sure it doesn't obstruct other boats.

• Like 1