Your Favorite Broadland walks?

lampini

Good afternoon Jane,

I'm new to this Forum but have just signed in and seen your thread.

The walk to the beach from Horsey is my favourite. You sound as if you know it already but if you don't, moor at Horsey Staithe and pay Derek his £5 assuming you are staying. Try and moor at the first mooring on the left as you enter the dyke ( just after Ross's River tours). That is unless I am there in one of the old Martham boats in which case I want it ! This will give you a superb view out over the Mere, and, if you are lucky, a fantastic sunset. Walk straight over the road and across the field towards the dunes. You need to turn left after a while and then right onto the unmade road. It'll take you about 25 minutes to the sea.

I always make a point of swimming there although the last time a particularly witty friend of mine nicked my clothes so I had a rather embarrassing exit from the sea !! Luckily it was freezing cold if you get my drift !!

In October I would have thought that you stand a good chance of seeing the seals, either swimming, or on the sand if you turn right when you reach the beach.

On the way back, time it right , go straight on onto the road and have a drink/meal at the Nelson's Head which is a pub that I love although the food can be a bit hit and miss.

Take a small torch with you in order to help you negotiate the path/road on the way back.

Finally , if you have had a swim, make sure you have bought a couple of tokens for the shower by the staithe from the little NT shop there.

Then settle down for the night with a couple of glasses of wine and listen out for a bitten !

Sorry I tend to bang on a bit when the subject of Horsey Mere comes up !

By the way, looking at Petite Gem I think you ought to have a great chance of getting under PH bridge.

Also hello to all on this Forum. Seems like a nice place to be.

Best wishes

Charles

Welcome Charles and many thanks for that excellent information! We really wanted to get past PH in June, but the pilots said no - Horsey Mere is number one on my list - so plz do bang on to your heart's content! I used to go in the north sea - but only in full drysuit diving kit! (oh and Wells-next-the-Sea when i was 14!)

Have seen a few of Marthams wooden boats, they do look lovely, but the OH is 6'2" and even though he says he's used to his feet hanging off the end, i'm not sure if it would be fair!? :shocked

Would love to hire one tho!

cheersbar

Hello Jane, if you hire Juliette you can turn the whole of the rear cabin into a really big and long double. This is what I usually do on my own as my wife refuses point blank to come on the Broads after a rather chilly first experience in Norfolk in 1982 ! Best wishes, Charles

Hello Jane, if you hire Juliette you can turn the whole of the rear cabin into a really big and long double. This is what I usually do on my own as my wife refuses point blank to come on the Broads after a rather chilly first experience in Norfolk in 1982 ! Best wishes, Charles

Charles - you are a star!  :bow

(think next year's first hire is sorted!)

cheersbar

Down river of Horning round the bend is a small mooring that gives access to St Benedict's Church. We arrived just after the church shut and decided to wait until it opened in the morning to have a look around as it looks so nice from the outside.

With time on our hands and a lovely evening we turned left out of the church left again at the end by the school then all the way into Horning. Nice walk with some very good pubs/restaurants at the end.

Hello and welcome Charles and thanks for your very informative post.

On the subject of the walk to Lowestoft, we used to do this often in years gone by an I don't think it used to take much more than an hour and we didn't rush

As for the moorings at Cockshoot Broad, they are very nice & Well maintained and the walk around the broad and along the river is very pleasant

David

For southern broads walks I would go for the riverbank from ferryhouse surlingham up to the church and back along the track by the old ruined church, very pleasant.

Also cantley marshes is a good circular walk from the reedcutters along floodbank to opposite langley dyke then along farm track up to village and pick your way back to the pub.

And of course when in reedham head along behind the ship till you reach the steep hill up to holy farm lane, head up and turn left to the rail bridge (cracking view) then right beside the railway,part way along go down the steps into the old cutting and carry on to the end then turn right and follow the road back.

All by pubs you notice.....

Northern broads try upton, along floodbank and pick your way through a few unofficial routes to fishley church then head diagonally across the field back to the village.

Scanning through I don't see mention of the walks above Coltishall Lock, all depends how far you want to walk. But there are some lovely walks beside the River Bure - you need to walk into Coltishall from the Common and pick up the River Bure, path along the right bank and then across the river and across fields back to the Recruiting Sergeant.

Just a suggestion but lovely

Liz

• Like 1

There is a walk at Ludham that we love: From Womack Staithe, head up Horsefen road towards the village. Take the right hand fork at the top of the road and you will see a bridleway on the right, which leads to Fritton Lane. From there turn right again, Follow the road round until it turns into a track.  You will reach a point where you can either carry on towards the river and follow it round to Womack Staithe or, if you are feeling less energetic, you can take the rough farm track back to Horsefen Road.  A brilliant walk, with the added bonus of blackberries at this time of year. Enjoy!

cheers

Just remembered one my crew did one morning from Stokesby. 2miles I think it is in length approx. You end up at Acle Bridge where I picked the crew back up. SWMBO has just said it was very pleasent indeed. For me, I had the purr koff koff of the BMC 1.5 to keep me company chugging up the river.

cheers Iain.

There is a walk at Ludham that we love: From Womack Staithe, head up Horsefen road towards the village. Take the right hand fork at the top of the road and you will see a bridleway on the right, which leads to Fritton Lane. From there turn right again, Follow the road round until it turns into a track.  You will reach a point where you can either carry on towards the river and follow it round to Womack Staithe or, if you are feeling less energetic, you can take the rough farm track back to Horsefen Road.  A brilliant walk, with the added bonus of blackberries at this time of year. Enjoy!

cheers

Blackberries!! Sold!