Boating mag - what features, what stories, what news?

BowWave

What, you really want some over-opinionated idiot spouting on about boats virtually no-one can afford? Peter, I thought better of you!

Over opinionated, yes! Entertaining, yes! But at least he's not afraid to say what he thinks, even when it's not P.C. Surely cow-towing to the advertiser rather than being honest with the readership does nothing to convince a savvy readership. Granted that there are one or two gullible, inexperienced folk out there ready to part with their lottery wins and inheritances but editors shouldn't forget that there are other readers with a few more active brain cells! A magazine that is prepared to say how it really is would be welcome. One editor that I know of became quite infamous for demanding perks in return for favourable editorial, hardly creditable.

• Like 2

Uncle Albert and I have one thing in common. When we get interested in a pastime or hobby first we buy a book and then we subscribe to the relevant periodicals. Over the years I've been a subscriber to periodicals ranging from History Today, to Poultry World, Imagine FX to The History of Ships. No matter the subject, the periodical had to walk a very hard line to keep the content fresh and interesting. Having worked in 'niche' publishing for some time I can appreciate how difficult it is to get the 'right' content. After all, everyone's taste and means are different and good content is expensive to produce. Having a draft publication sat ready to go on my desk I used to dread the meeting with the finance department which would totally alter the proposed content of the finished publication. Having said all that he current boating magazine subscriptions we have at the minute will shortly be cancelled as none of them have content in which I am remotely interested. 

Here's the content of a publication I would love to see, preferably in print otherwise a digital publication.

• Ongoing Article:A History of Broadland Boatyards/boat designs. This issue Brooms of Brundall (for example).
  • Ongoing Article:Restoring a Woodie: Ongoing series covering the restoration of a wooden Broads Cruiser, covering the how's, the why's, the materials and tools and where to get them from, joints, techniques etc.
  • Ongoing Article restoring a fibreglass cruiser...
  • Ongoing Article...Boat Handling/Tips for the beginner
  • Ongoing Article...learn to Sail
  • Column by a Broads Ranger
  • Column from the Broads Museum
  • Column From Broadland Memories
  • Article: The Broads Authority explain in detail their reasons for wanting to become a National Park.
  • Column Broadland Wildlife
  • Section: News from the hire craft...special offers, new craft
  • Column: Fishing the Broads, locations, techniques and tackle
  • Section: Sailing News
  • Section:Coastal Boating
  • Section Broads Authority News
  • Section: Food
  • Section:Events & general news
  • Column: Boating Tales...someone like Paul Sheard Rustic) fascinating writing.
  • Index of boating suppliers
  • Advertising: Boats for sale, tools, materials, clothing

I know not everyone's cup of tea...but something I would like to read regularly.

• Like 10

I suppose that there are two types of readership, those whose lifestyle, experience and interests revolve around boating, and then there are those with dosh to spend who want to buy a boat but in all honesty never actually become down and out boaters. I suspect that the first group would be more inclined to buy magazines over an extended period whilst the others would only buy a few editions whilst the enthusiasm is still strong and their boat is still gleaming. My impression of Anglia Afloat was that it largely catered for the latter whilst it is the former that is most likely to buy monthly, but  is probably less likely to be fodder for advertisers. 

Was a time, John, when I earned a good living as a freelancer. Then along came the 'vanity' writers and photographers and such as Archant took to paying reduced rates, or nothing at all. Too many hobby writers and photographers out there willing to sell their work for nothing other than for the joy of seeing it in print! Oh to be a 'staffer' again! Going freelance was not the brightest thing that I did in life although it was good for a few years, till the bubble burst!

Having read this thread FROM my original post< i`ve thought of a few other things.

Whenever AA did a feature on a hire boat, it was always about one of the biggest most modern boats around. Why not have features on hiring at the busget end of the market?. Hire boats that are over 40 years old for example, and articles about how the yards refurbish older boats to give them a new lease of life. Also features on hiring out of season, features on hiring traditional boats, and a "where are they now" section where readers can ask for information on that first boat they hired etc.

Something else i thought about the other day was features about wildlife and what has been spotted and where.If i can think of anything else that i or others have`nt touched on, i`l post it up.

• Like 1

Bit of a catch 22 there BowWave.

If the customer can opt out, this must make it less attractive to the advertiser.

Those who can easily afford to opt out almost certainly would.

Those would be the people to whom the advertiser would be aiming his adds.

If the customer did not have this option, more companies would advertise. This extra revenue should be used to maintain a high quality journal with equally high quality articles. This would encourage greater readership, which in turn would encourage good companies to advertise.

Just my view of course, but it is correct :)

I wouldn't pay to remove adverts; on the internet adverts are everywhere I think i've become slightly immune to them, I just don't notice them.  I do though seem to spot certain adverts, on this site for example I've purchased from JPC because the advert appeared at the right time. Brian wards too is a nice reminder when I need those types of bits (actually reminds me I need to order something from them!).  

However I do find if adverts are too in my face I just don't bother going to that website (EDP for example, I hate that stupid survey that pops up therefore I just don't go there unless someone points me to it). 

Bowwave, please though we need a printed magazine, MBO has an electronic copy and I dont think it really works. I want a printed copy that comes in post that I can read on the boat when my laptops away. ;)

Advertising is part of what a good periodical should be...relevant and not intrusive advertising that is.As far as price for a good periodical I currently pay between £4.99 and £7.99 for my 'trade' periodicals...Animation and CGI magazines and would be prepared to pay similar for a good boating magazine depending upon the content, in depth articles etc.

As a holiday hirer and lover of the Broads for many years and not being in the right geographical area or a financial position to be a boat owner I'd be very interested in many of Timbo's suggestions in particular boats of the past. I often wonder what became of some of the boats we have had over the years, in particular the old wooden Brooms Navigators.

I am also of the old school where if i am interested in something I read up on it. theres nothing quite like picking up a book or magazine. I know the net is a great source of information but theres nothing like printed matter..... One publication that often gets a mention is the book that Hoseasons used to send out which we would read from cover to cover before a holiday. Maybe this sort of info could be incorporated into a magazine..... Just my opinion.

I did subscribe to Anglia Afloat (ipad version) until they lost details of my subscription after 3 issues and they just weren't interested in resolving the issue.

But thats another story

David

One publication that often gets a mention is the book that Hoseasons used to send out which we would read from cover to cover before a holiday. Maybe this sort of info could be incorporated into a magazine.

Hear, hear, David, I cannot understand WHY that brilliant book was stopped! A wealth of information that booklet was. A similar section in your "Magazine" BowWave would be very advantageous I think.

cheers Iain.

• Like 1

Producing an independent special interest magazine for less than £4 at point of sale is IMPOSSIBLE.

Producing an independent special interest magazine for less than £5 at point of sale is EXTREMELY DIFFICULT.

Producing an independent special interest magazine for less than £6 at point of sale is POSSIBLE.

In today's marketplace it is IMPOSSIBLE for a publisher not to be influenced, to some degree, by the advertising support.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

pretty much everything imagineable has been listed at least once, but I'll give you my list anyway. You say this is a regional magazine, so my ideal read would go along the lines of

News, whats happened around the waterway since the previous issue, whats coming up, works, restrictions etc.

Reviews, new products (which can often be tied to advertising revenue), new boats, used boats. Cater for all tastes and all budgets. Again this can often be linked to advertising revenue with a local broker.

A feature about part of the waterway, whats around the river, facilities for visitors, local business and attractions

A feature from another waterway, boaters generally will be interested about boating on other waterways.

Perhaps a readers boating tale,

reports from trade fairs, boat shows etc

perhaps a "me and my boat" feature.

how to features and restorations

brokers lists and adverts

and of course, the infamous readers offer!