Boating mag - what features, what stories, what news?

BowWave

Hi Duncan,

To get you started.. here's my text from the AA post before. Good luck! keep us updated:

I like features such as; new boat reviews (but river boats really not sea boats.. the odd sea boat review is a nice to see but not frequently) motorboat owner do a good job at reviewing older boats which is really interesting as the majority of broads owners aren't bling boat owners.. so to read about older boats, which is probably what we will invest in one day, is a better idea...(they have a freeman 23 write up this month!) Things like local business insight (like a behind the scenes of broadland businesses).  Pub reviews would be interesting (anywhere between medway and north norfolk - We've been to a few anyway but still!!  ;) ).   I do enjoy reading about new toys but only cheap ones (We don't need plotters!) and things that will really help me.. (Cookers, loo reviews etc.. things we may upgrade over time), I also enjoy reading about distant places as there is more to the east coast but don't make it the biggest feature. General broads/East coast news (although it needs to be up to date).. insights into Broadsbeat and the BA would be interesting.. also hireboat news would probably be interesting (New hire boats reviews)..I like the mishaps photos in pbo and MBO.. what's coming up, what can I do when I'm up next (a bit like broadcaster which is always an interesting read).. what happened reviews (Horning boat show review etc).. good old competitions...

Things on this forum which are popular are things like wayford bridges blog, insights into Clive Richardsons boat builds, (restoration projects   :shocked)...

• Like 6

Already I am going to be coming from a different angle.

You see, I’d have a magazine of two halves if you like.  One for inland waterway users and another for the salty lovers giving enough good articles for both to feel it was a magazine for them and indeed to ‘cross over’ between the two.

I don't think there is a large enough audience on the likes of the Broads to warrant a publication based entirely at them - after all many an owner on the Broads especially on the southern rivers have boats they might well take out to sea, or could if they so wished.

It would also be good to have some in depth 'tips and tricks' from anything to do with replacing a battery to working to what size bilge pump you should have or more major boats of boat ownership and safety – so that one can have a library of information to be able to go to throughout different issues on various topics. It would be also good to have a review that might follow build to long term test of a boat, or a restoration or refit that readers can follow along with each edition.

To cover large and small boatyards their individual specialities and skills, to cover sailing and water sports such as those found in Hickling, Horning, Wroxham Broad or Barton Broad to give the sailing clubs some more awareness and encourage people to give it a go or just learn more about it all.

I’m sure plenty of people will have their own views but at the end of the day with Anglia Afloat unable to be published as often it is a tricky area obviously to cover and producing quality articles people want to read is hard, and costs money – not to mention trying to get advertising revenue coming in especially with the launch of another magazine without knowing really how well it might go down with people and what circulation might be after the initial launch of expectant people wanting to see what is new.

Because it is a bit of a niche I am not sure if it would be a goer or if a website that had much the same not in a ‘turn page’ form (they never in my opinion work unless on tablet) might be better with more rich multimedia content and the ability for advertisers to do more with the advertising than just a print advert.

Interesting to see peoples different views

• Like 1

I think robin has a very valid point..

I see a gap in a "Motorboat" magazine for everyday boaters.. MBO is almost there and I like it but it's now electronic and I hate electronic books at the moment (Plus it falls short on some of the practicable tips and its far too salty).. Salty motor boats have the over the top magazines and I can't imagine any "normal boaters" read these. Canals have a ton of canal mags. Salty rags have PBO.. I'm guessing the majority of inland boats in the UK are in the broads and fens though (Followed closely by Thames?) so by all means we need a Practicable motorboater mag which captures all these core regions.. (but don't be forgetting us Broads boaters!!).. 

• Like 1

I sort of mentioned this before but given that most people who own boats buy them second hand, it would be nice to have articles about what's available. The sort of thing would be...

Dawncraft Dandy.  How much would one expect to pay, the pros and cons of that model, any known problems (and how to overcome them), the following issue could cover a different but often available craft and so on. Explore their limitations, would it be ill advised to take a Norman or Dawncraft out to sea?

A readers questions might be interesting "I have a 50hp Mercury outboard. What's the best way to attach it to my 4ft coracle?"

On a more serious note, and referring to a very contentious issue in another place a while back, a qualified experts view on how to tell if a boat used primarily on fresh water is suitable to do sea cruising.

There are many many subjects out there to be written about but what seems to be missed is that we are not all motor cruiser enthusiasts any more than we are all sailies. you do need to cater for both. The other thing is that although we all like to dream, very few of us are very rich. Target the middle and lower income and you won't go far wrong.

• Like 4

BowWave.  IMHO all the topics raised are applicable.  I personally would like to see articles and tests on used boats, must be viable as a useful tool for people with boats for sale?  My real wish is that you keep it in printed foremat, sad I know, but I still have all my Anglia Afloat from years back and quite like to look back over the years and see how things have changed.  Regards Alan.  cheersbar  :wave

I would be happy  to read about small practical DIY projects, local news and views, boatyard and moorings reviews, reviews of (affordable) new and used boats, history features, pub/restaurant reviews, information on local attractions,  exploration of lesser-known waterways, local "characters" historic craft, restoration projects.  For me, the focus does not necessarily be the Broads, nor limited to fresh water. There should be a good balance of articles about power and sailing. 

I am not interested in trade association dinners, business awards, who won the recent "frostbite" regatta at xxx or reverential articles about the so-called "great and the good".

cheersbar

Steve

• Like 1

Hi Duncan,

'Rot in peace'

photos of all the interesting knackered boats , not just the obvious ones we all know about...

boat jumble/ swap shop? 

P.s. the boat in your avatar pic looks well moulded. 

• Like 3

I do think all the above are a good start, but one thing i think would be a good and regular feature is the boating public themselves.Boat magazines are bought by the general public, but you never read any articles about the public, the people that buy the mags, the people who own boats of all shapes and sizes. Also the people that regularly hire, or are boating on a budget, Also, the benefits and pitfalls of buying into a syndicate, or sole ownership. It`s always nice to read all the regular articles, but i like to read more of the public input, with plenty of readers letters (i said readers letters, not readers wives :norty: :norty: ), and their boats or projects. In Practical boatowner, they always used to have a page called "boatowners sketchbook" where people did write ups on ingenious ideas etc.

These days, the majority of boat publications do boat tests on boats the average working man could only dream of after a lottery win, so why not regular features on affordable boats, being family boats for the price of a family car etc. How many people buy a new car for £15-20,000, but balk at an Elysian 27 for under £10,000. It is doable, so why not have articles on the subject.

I remember Ian (Senator) had a line on his posts saying "living the champagne lifestyle on beer money". Could be an excellent title for a regular monthly feature.

• Like 5

Like others I really don't want to read 'club reports' and 'news letters' nor untruthful boat reports. If a boat that I am considering buying has a less than attractive feature then I want to know about it, a boat report that glams up and glosses over the less attractive side of a boat is really valueless. AA boat reports were seemingly aimed to please the builder, not the purchaser.

Conservation, restoration, Time Team style projects, long term user reports, boatyard profiles, mooring profiles, destination profiles AND no blo@dy fashion pages!

• Like 4

All of the above. There are lots of other, non canal, inland waterways including the river Medway.

I quite like an electronic version and I guess distribution is easier and sometimes free. I can't see much future for print copies as has been witnessed with MBM and AA. The new online MBO seems to be doing well and is a good read.

I used to have PBO MBM and AA. Now I just have MBO on download.

It wasn't the cost, it was more the content that stopped me having AA and PBO and sadly the demise of MBM.

Good luck if you decide to launch a new magazine, I will certainly give it a try.

• Like 1

I found this, and posted it on another thread but it is relevant here.

Look at the depth which went into the reporting of the six boats in question, how they were very much independent in their reviews and through. 

These days such a 'test' would be full of glory for all boats and manufacturers concerned, would only go on for about two pages in a magazine and a lot of editorial is often cloaked as ‘advertising’.

It is nice to see back in 1973 things were done properly, with long tests with several boats in challenging conditions and an in-depth personal appraisal of each boat good and bad from those taking part.

Motor Boat and Yachting Sept. 1973.pdf

With all due respect to everyone who has contributed to this thread so far - I would prefer to garner more knowledge about what people would ideally like to read, rather than analyzing the merits of one particular aspect of magazine content.

I appreciate the views put forward regarding boat tests and will put forward a publishers perspective once I feel that the thread is heading towards its natural conclusion.

A few Jeremy Clarkson style reviews wouldn't go amiss

What, you really want some over-opinionated idiot spouting on about boats virtually no-one can afford? Peter, I thought better of you!