Pump Out

sarahjon

We have mobile pump-out units that can be mobile, but the concept of having them mobile has all kinds of implications.

Firstly, you have have to have a waste transfer license for each council area that you worked in. Not cheap.

Then you would need to seek mooring sites that aren't BA controlled as the BA does not permit any commerce to be handled from these sites; some have special dispensation like Woodbastwick for the operation of Horning Ferry only, but other mobile operations have been given the kybosh because of this ruling in the past.

I am absolutely sure that there are many other loopholes to jump through also including the disposal of the waste into the sewage system, HSE and all other manner of red-tape situations.

The  'honey cart' on land was something of an institution in the countryside. But Norfolk has moved on, become civilised, folk are now connected to the main drain, unless they live in Potter's famous 'shed city',  Mind you, a few liveaboards might have a problem. One, on Oulton Broad, has a floating tank that he disconnects from his houseboat then he tows it to a yard to be pumped out

JM

You have failed to mention the Norfolk Long Drop.

I remember well visiting a meeting in Mundsley the village hall, some years past.

A visitor enquired where the toilet was.

A local replied " down the path, rite at the end there be a green door. In a little hut! Mind how you go.

On his return he said " How did yer git on boy"

"Very well old man, thank you very much, but I have to tell you there was no lock on the door.

" Dunt you worry about that me old mucker, we int have any on it nicked yet!

Old Wussername

• Like 1

The last Mobile Pump out I remember was back in the mid 80's, he was water borne, based at Wayford and charged £5, Never knew his real name but everyone called him Pongo, when he was going to retire my Niece nearly bought the whole set up from him, when she looked into insurance, waste licences, disposal and the running cost, it would have run at a loss, I think Pongo stopped working around 1987/8, I think he only serviced a couple of Marinas and the houseboats at Wayford, we all missed him, but back then you could discharge waste straight into the Broads and not that many boats had holding tanks,,

Frank,,,

• Like 1

Mmmm! seems I have a smart a**e Wife!  Judi read this post over my shoulder her comment was! "You should do that job, your always in the s**t"  but don't panic boys I got my own back, I replied "You should know! your the one with the shovel" while we are on the subject quite often I hear my grandkids and their friends complaining that their lives are s**t, my reply is get used to it, lifes full of it only the depth varies, 

Frank,,,,,

• Like 2