Lord Nelson, any news?

JennyMorgan

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve just seen a link to the agents website which suggests the Lord Nelson lease is “under offer”

Sounds encouraging, there may be a chance of it opening after all. I can’t see Wellington selling it so hopefully Reedham river front won’t be blighted by a McDonalds or a Tesco express two guns 

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

I took some photos of the Lord Nelson a couple of weeks ago. It looks to have been completely stripped out inside. However there was little evidence of much further activity. I guess it is going to take some serious work (and money) to get it up and running again. Supposed to have been taken over by the same folks who have the Rising Sun at Coltishall. Watch this space methinks.

post-38-0-94471100-1432763873_thumb.jpg

post-38-0-22663000-1432763898_thumb.jpg

post-38-0-30852100-1432763926_thumb.jpg

I thought it was the Recruiting Sergeant at Coltishall that had acquired it? Looking at all the beams in the pics Howard, its always difficult at first look see if they are supporting or just for show. If supporting, I would imagine an architect would like to see original drawings IF available still as altering such a building could prove somewhat difficult to do. I.E  Planning permission! I would guess its a listed building level two or three. 

My guesses are just that, and I could be well wide of the mark. Just what I have come across in working in old buildings like the Lord Nelson.

cheers Iain.

Hi Iain

I believe the folks behind the RS did show interest initially but pulled out, probably because of the work involved.

You may well be right about the interior, not sure if its listed or not. I believe it had a major revamp back in the 70's or 80's (Carol would know) but not much done since I dont think.

My understanding is that The Lord Nelson has been acquired by the people who own The Rising Sun at Coltishall. They also own The Robin Hood at Sherringham and another pub who's name escapes me, in Wells. They have recently acquired at least two other pubs and as these need a lot less work than The Lord Nelson, they are receiving all their attention at the moment, with The Lord Nelson to follow soon.

• Like 4

It would be nice to see the pub, live up to its name, The Lord Nelson. Just imagine the main lounge area, themed to resemble the Admirals great cabin aboard the Victory. Horatio was Norfolk's greatest son and this pub that bears his name, needs to reflect this in its atmosphere. That is my opinion, but it would need a lot of thought and money spending on it, to achieve something like this. Keep the meals simple, like broth and ships biscuits, no seriously, food needs to be good but not too fancy, just enough choice to satisfy most peoples preferences and pockets.

It would be nice to see the pub, live up to its name, The Lord Nelson. Just imagine the main lounge area, themed to resemble the Admirals great cabin aboard the Victory. Horatio was Norfolk's greatest son and this pub that bears his name, needs to reflect this in its atmosphere. That is my opinion, but it would need a lot of thought and money spending on it, to achieve something like this. Keep the meals simple, like broth and ships biscuits, no seriously, food needs to be good but not too fancy, just enough choice to satisfy most peoples preferences and pockets.

Just my opinion, but theme pubs I can do without. Disneyfication of the Broads ugh 

• Like 1

The owners of the pubs seem to have a liking for old yesteryear style memorabilia. The Robin Hood and The Rising Sun both feature a number of old Singer sewing machines, old metal plaques and adverts from yesteryear and old amusement arcade machines. The Captains Table in Wells had a refurb and similar items appeared, leading to me talking to the barman who confirmed it was now owned by the same people.

On that basis I would expect to see similar items appearing at The Lord Nelson when it reopens.

Anything is better than what is there now ... Although I agree it shouldn't be too OTT it would nice to see a reference to yesteryear (I like pubs with old bits on the wall) and maybe the odd reference to it's namesake.. as I'm sure he used to frequent there quite a bit when he was a teenager ;)cheers

• Like 2

Hi all  

I`m new here but used to have a Broom Skipper...sadly had to sell!!

Anyway, re the Lord Nelson, as I far as I can see from the Heritage England website...they keep THE STATUTORY LIST..the pub isn't listed. So this means that you can do pretty much what you like inside and probably out as well. As far as I know Reedham isn't a Conservation Area either so there should be no issues for the BA with regards any sensible alterations outside except if they want to do something really OTT.

I would have thought that it ought to do well here given the numbers of boats that stop going up and down river right at the front door!. The other pub [ The Ship I think] seems to do ok and it hasn't any moorings, and the Ferry is always busy. I think if a pub offers good wholesome food at sensible prices and a decent range of drink in pleasant surroundings it should do ok. Oh yes and the staff should have half a brain as well!!

Looking forward to seeing the LN in operation at last.

• Like 3

:wave Slowhand  :welcome: to the forum. Sorry to hear you had to sell but I hope you still manage to get out every now and again :)

I'm certainly with you.. If the nelson is there and good it's an excuse to stop. Fingers crossed.

cheers

Theres no reason not to stop as it is, the ship is a good pub with good food and does have some mooring space (for the brave), the last I heard the LN was on hold till the roofers turn up and sort out the leaks, no point fitting out a non-weatherproof building.

Theres no reason not to stop as it is, the ship is a good pub with good food and does have some mooring space (for the brave), the last I heard the LN was on hold till the roofers turn up and sort out the leaks, no point fitting out a non-weatherproof building.

I have moored once outside The Ship, well, light was fading! The one thing you require to do because of where the mooring posts are, is keep checking the fall or rise. Also the same for getting back on later. This was many years ago on a Bermuda 34' I left at slack water, but would imagine it could prove interesting at times!

cheers Iain.

Ditto John,

But it was a very low tide that evening, onto yer bahoochie to get back on board. The quay heading is higher there, than at the village quay I think.

I would not attempt it now though.

cheers Iain.