Police launch crackdown on drivers using mobile phones

Considering motorcyclists are one of most vulnerable road users and stats show that most right handed people who use a mobile whilst driving will use it in their right hand to allow them to change gear I'm amazed that could be considered as causing another road user no problems, oh I suppose until they pull out of a junction into the path of said motorcycle or cycle , I ride motorbikes and I cycle to work illuminated like a mobile Christmas tree and when people pull out in front of me I am more than happy to discuss their parentage at the road side ,

Like most things the technology of vehicles safety systems has evolved considerably the fact that seat belts now have pre tensioners to pull the occupants back into the seat as the airbags have deployed is because if not the air bags will cause injury , hence the reason to be able to disable them if child car seats are being used in the front seat , one of the first things we have to do at a rtc is fit air bag covers because if due to the impact directions they haven't deployed they will more than likely remodel your face if they go off whilst you are in the vicinity, fact not opinion !

• Like 3

In fairness Sean, I have never disapproved of the law against using a mobile whilst driving, for exactly the reasons you give. Nor, as far as I can see, has anyone else. I did ask if anyone who used a taxi radio or CB radio found the mobile phone more distracting... or even less distracting.

PS. to All. Received a reply from Timbo. He's a bit busy with his dad at the mo and doesn't have much spare time for the computer.

• Like 2

I was going through one of the estates near work yesterday, I saw a small van coming towards me the driver had a mobile grafted to his ear with his right hand and was gesticulating to his conversation with his left hand. It appeared that he was steering with his elbows, bear in mind there was still a covering of ice on the road after the snow we had on Thursday.

I have to wonder at times, at least I was going the other way.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I would suggest outlawing all seatbelts and airbags and the fitting of a six inch spike to the centre of steering wheels, that would certainly make a difference to the standard of driving.

I have always had the view that laws should be kept to things that affect others safety (like mobiles while driving/drink-driving etc.) and things that only affect the offender should be down to freedom of choice, I'm big enough and ugly enough to play with matches and sharp pointy things and it's my own fault if I get burnt doing it.

I'm all for a bit of darwinism, it thins out the stupid people and makes for some funny stories..... (and frees up some housing in dagenham, sorry dagenham people...)

• Like 1

Just think, in years gone by, people had the rite to "THINK" FOR THEMSELVES.

Is`nt it marvelous that we now have successive governments that have taken away our ability to think whats right and wrong for us, what`s safe or dangerous for us, and make us realise that to make big expensive gas guzzling or deisel cars safer, you only need to invent yet another tax which automatically makes them more environmentally safe for us?

Oh, i almost forgot, is`nt it marvelous to have a government the knows better than us, who seem to think that an abundance of speed camera makes the roads far more safe  than an abundance of visible police cars that can recognise cars that are obviously not roadworthy, or being driven so dangerously that they are a risk to innocent motorists or pedestrians.

I just love living in modern Britain, it makes me realise that there was no need for me to be born with a brain at all.