Broads Authority - Petition

Poppy

Fair point, Clive, but I bet more photographs are taken of wherries than your house!

Maybe, but Clive can claim that his house was used by the BBC in the filming of Coot Club and the Big Six..... :)

post-195-0-84043500-1422641009_thumb.jpg

I`ve said before that in the past, the BA have done a lot to help improve the broads, with excellent facilities etc, and i`m sure the vast majority of members on this, and any other forum for that matter would agree with me. However, of late, they seem more likely to get involved in political issues rather than to just keep doing what they`re paid to do, and that`s to look after the Broads and rivers.

What on earth is wrong with people when all they want to do is critisize those of us that want the BA to get back to doing what they used to, and stop playing politics.

• Like 2

Fair point, Clive, but I bet more photographs are taken of wherries than your house!

I would rather doubt that too,JM! :-)

Clive's abode is always there with its pretty waterside summer house making it particularly picturesque and photogenic!

As for the Broads facilities being excellent, SpeedTripple, I am not sure there will be many agreeing. Waste collections removed by GYBC last year, public conveniences under threat, poor water depth on the Ant, weed cutting too late each season Thorpe river Green was terrible last year), too few rangers on the water and more, the BA is victim like all other authorities of having too little money and (arguably) making the wrong decisions on how it's spent. Which is, at least, partly, what many of us are unhappy with in the re-branding exercise. 

Andy suggests that the BA, like many local authorities, has too little money. Well, I'm not surprised! I see that the BA is advertising for a Ranger, on up to £24,000.00 per year for a 37hr week. Hardly mega bucks but if it's an indication of what's being paid to staff then no wonder they are cash strapped. Of course it doesn't end there, prestige office block, planning department, well, I could go on, probably predictably so but I doubt very much that the Authority could be accused of offering value for money. 

As for the Broads facilities being excellent, I agree with Andy, things are not too rosey. However it all has to be paid for and there lies the problem. Perhaps more opportunity for commercial enterprise might be an option but how far should that be allowed to go? Do we really want or need plush marina style moorings, suitably expensive, at every turn?

I would rather doubt that too,JM! :smile:

Clive's abode is always there with its pretty waterside summer house making it particularly picturesque and photogenic!

As for the Broads facilities being excellent, SpeedTripple, I am not sure there will be many agreeing. Waste collections removed by GYBC last year, public conveniences under threat, poor water depth on the Ant, weed cutting too late each season Thorpe river Green was terrible last year), too few rangers on the water and more, the BA is victim like all other authorities of having too little money and (arguably) making the wrong decisions on how it's spent. Which is, at least, partly, what many of us are unhappy with in the re-branding exercise. 

You cheeking charles Andy,

If you read my post again, you`ll see i wrote "in the past". 

I take your point about a lot of up to date issues, but things like refuse bins and in Gt Yarmouth and other areas are the actions of local councils, or at least i thought they were, but am willing to stand corrected?.

I take your point about a lot of up to date issues, but things like refuse bins and in Gt Yarmouth and other areas are the actions of local councils, or at least i thought they were, but am willing to stand corrected?.

You are right there, but the facilities are diminishing, regardless of who is responsible.

• Like 2

Andy suggests that the BA, like many local authorities, has too little money. Well, I'm not surprised! I see that the BA is advertising for a Ranger, on up to £24,000.00 per year for a 37hr week. Hardly mega bucks but if it's an indication of what's being paid to staff then no wonder they are cash strapped.

The current average wage in the UK is in the order of £26,500 pa, so I would hardly call that excessive - and remember , £24000 is the TOP of the scale.

I wonder what the trouser polishers at Yare House are paid?

• Like 3

The current average wage in the UK is in the order of £26,500 pa, so I would hardly call that excessive - and remember , £24000 is the TOP of the scale.

Probably a lot more than they`d like to admit, and us to know?.

• Like 1

Lot of people in the Broads area would like something like £24,000! National average is one thing, minimum wage is another.

Now over 300 signatures, I can now see it reaching 500 which I think is worthwhile. 

Many of the flippant ePetitions reach that many signatures Peter, and the target to possibly trigger a Commons debate is 100,000.

You target of 500 is less than 1% of private toll payers and BA area residents.

What criteria did the ePetition signatories  have to meet ?

Not my target, Strow, but sufficient, in my opinion, to show that there is a relevant degree of concern.

Did the ePetition signatories have to be toll payers/BA area residents ?