I thought I would share this because it is not always easy to find jobs on the Broads, so anyone who has a few hours a week during the season to help clean boats, or maybe some younger readers who wanting a few pounds and experience along the way from within a boatyard might be interested.  Perhaps a local who wants a part time job dealing with bookings and greeting new holiday makers and the like might be just up their street.

These are with Barnes Brinkcraft – phone numbers and emails below:

SEASONAL VACANCIES 2015

OFFICE

2 x Part Time Administrator’s/Receptionists required for our 2015 season April to October

We need 2 part time receptionists for an average 3 days (24 hours) per week. This will include Saturdays and Bank Holidays.

Applicants must be reliable, flexible and able to work extra hours when required, for holiday cover.

The role is customer facing, meeting & greeting customers, dealing with bookings, telephone enquiries & general administration as required.

To apply please e-mail a brief (1 x A4) overview about yourself to margaret@barnesbrinkcraft.co.uk or telephone 01603 782625

NO CV’s PLEASE

CLEANERS

Interior boat cleaners/linen staff required for 1-3 days Friday, Saturday, Monday 9am to 3pm April to October – Contact Sharon on 07867 980137 - OVER 18 PLEASE

HULL CLEANERS

April to October - Outside & hull cleaners wanted for our fleet of cruisers Contact Tom on 07810 356057 - Over 14 PLEASE

• Like 3

Oh I wish I lived nearer! One of those admin jobs would be great. Dealing with all things boats, welcoming the happy holidaymakers, assisting with queries etc. The smile on my face would be as wide as a mile! :dance Now what time would I have to leave Leeds each morning to get there for 9am? :Stinky

Regards

David

• Like 7

I cant let that comment go without a reply !  whilst you are very fortunate to live on the Broads JM , and I sometimes wish I did too, it must be some time since you were in Leeds to form such an opinion, the city is now vibrant with top names in the retail, Harvey Nicks for one, couldn't see them opening in Lowestoft ? world class theatres and arenas are packed throughout the year featuring the worlds biggest artists, the city is awash with Michelin star restaurants,multi million pound Victoria Quarter & Trinity shopping centres brings shoppers in from all over the country, Art galleries, The National Armouries Museum, etc etc  you get my point........ normally like your stuff JM , think your just being a mischievous 'Carrot Cruncher' waiting for a reaction ? :norty:

• Like 2

Lastdraft

Remind me old chap. Where is Leeds?

Carrot Cruncher's, that's us alright!

At least we don't interfier with sheep!!

Old Wussername

Winner of the North Allerton Best Baby competition 1943

It was a no contest actually. I romped home. The local gargoyle's stood no chance!

• Like 1

Leeds...a great city.

I have been a visitor many times on business, as indeed many cities, not only in the UK but abroad. You fly in. You fly out.

I don't no why but I find a wonderful attraction to Yorkshire. Am I a Yorkshire man? I was born in North Allerton. However, my family were Norfolk folk as well as Suffolk folk. And that is where I was brought up.

Well I have been to Leeds/Bradford Airport, must be the dearest for short term parking I have ever used!

Been in the past to the Tetley Brewery Wharff place, which I believe has now closed down. Sadly the armoury was closed the day I was there.

Been to several Test Matches, and enjoyed the banter with the Yorkshire locals etc...

Been coming to Norfolk since the early 70's, always a joy, and delight. The Locals are very friendly, even to a Northerner like me!

Basically what I am saying, is, everywhere has its good and bad points, just please don't marginalise, its not nice IMHO. :)

cheers Iain.

• Like 1

Iain

If I thought for a minute that I was disrespectful to Lastdraft and to Yorkshire folk in particular I would be devastated. It was banter, nothing more. I am proud of my Yorkshire connections, friends and family. The latter being an integral part of my family heritage, and continues to this very day.

In this particular instance marginalisation is not justified, and for my part, not intended.

Old Wussername

• Like 2

let me tell yer a story ........................................and it about  the original post too ....!!!

back in the day ............

up early in a morn after said paper round and quick look to see new girl friends stable to see if she were there for a muck out ........

off to do the new boat job the best boat job in the world..........................."hull cleaner "

at a very well known yard in brunddaall run by a man after me own heart ,,,,,shout alot ,loose the plot and general good all round character ,lots of verbals and arm waving ....what a star 

into the team garden shed hull cleaning head quarters  ....................

kit out with bucket brush and grit stuff to to dean them ole hull and fender thinggies ,dinghies ,water lines .....decks and any thing the shout man said ..he was the boss and we did what he said ..................

hard work in rain or shine ......................did it kept it up and kept going 

we all start some wharr , i did so now i,m here doing it a the other end ...............

only two orf that famous crewe carried the boating flagg on to a career.............me and and another who has the largest engine supplier for the marine world in the uk !!!!!!!!!

its hard work .......................

so i started at the bottom and bloody well worked hard  to get wharf i,m at now ..................stood in a muddy ole boat yard cleaning boats ,only difference is now i use a pressure washer ...!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 7

JM. Didn't know this was a contest ? love both places for different reasons. Quite how you compare a department store with a photograph is beyond me but hey ho.

In the spirit of banter shall we put this to bed now ? night night.

Fair do!

I was dragged kicking and screaming around the Chapelfields shopping mall in Norwich the other day, also used to work at Lakeside at Thurrock, just can't see the appeal of such places.

• Like 1

I love visiting London, was impressed with Leeds when the brat was in the Leeds International Festival, would I want to live in either place? Well no. I would like to live in Ludham, or Upton, I am most unlikely to do so however. If I did, wouldd it be as great as I think I would be? Probably not, holidays are essentially different from being a resident, also there is work and family to consider.

• Like 2

Very fond memories of Boat Cleaning days. Very hard work but was always privileged to work outside in the summer whilst others doing Saturday jobs whilst at school were inside. We had a giggle, got to chat to loads of people & still delivered. Used to catch the bus from various parts of the Broads early mornings in August from the boat. To this day still reckon the Vim & Ciff combo the best way of cleaning wash basins!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

On the Richardsons Facebook page there's pictures of the Acle boats during winter maintenance in the Stalham shed. It makes me think Richardsons could do with some 'pilots' to move boats between Acle and Stalham and save tying up skilled staff in doing so. I'd do it for free, no hang on I'd pay for the pleasure!

• Like 5

We live on the Kent / London Border and we work in London. I hate London. Once I am on the road and heading towards Norfolk I start to calm. We will retire to Norfolk / Suffolk in a few years :clap  :clap . 

I would work as cleaning boats and I am sure Ian would help move someones boats from A-B  :wave  :wave .

Regards

Marina  :Stinky

• 4 weeks later...