Mooring Lines?!

Hi All,

Any Ideas what size mooring lines I should be looking for? (I can't remember what we had on the last boat!).

3ply? 14mm? 3 off the length of the boat?

(Orca is 28 feet long and and probably about 4 tons, I suspect she will have a bit of windage being high topsides and deep V)..

cheers:)

Like these aren't they Iain? Although I think these are too thin at 12mm.. Need someone with a ruler lol!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20mts-x-12mm-black-nylon-3-strand-rope-moorings-anchor-ropes-boats-builders-/271622647366?pt=UK_Sporting_Goods_Sailing&hash=item3f3df8ae46.

(wheres the circles there Iain?... the mooring lines need to be in nice little circles!!)

• Like 1

Like these aren't they Iain? Although I think these are too thin at 12mm.. Need someone with a ruler lol!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20mts-x-12mm-black-nylon-3-strand-rope-moorings-anchor-ropes-boats-builders-/271622647366?pt=UK_Sporting_Goods_Sailing&hash=item3f3df8ae46.

(wheres the circles there Iain?... the mooring lines need to be in nice little circles!!)

No idea Alan, I just hire and steer. The slaves do that sort of thing on it lol... That boat I think it is 35ft long 12ft ish wide.

Found that pic on Dan Horner's

cheers Iain.

• Like 1

The thickness of the rope is governed by comfort alone. A quite thin rope will be strong enough but will be painful should you need to pull very hard. That thin rope would also be tricky to undo from a mooring if it has pulled a bit tight.

Go to a chandler and feel some ropes. The ones that feel nice are the right ones.

• Like 3

Hi Alan,

I would go for 4 lines at 14mm, the blue warps always look well against the white hull. I would make two of the lines with a 10 metre minimum or maybe 12 metres and two shorter.

When mooring up I tend to lay out the forward warps back to our side ladders; so I can get down the ladders while Tan goes down onto the bathing platform for the stern warps.

If you specify the length's of the lines at the chandlers most will make off the ends for you at a few pounds per end.

I know you like to do most things yourself, so you may be better buying a fid and check out some instructions on splicing.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

We use 16 mm by 25 ft. braided rope on our Hampton and we are very happy with them we have 2 at the bow and the same at the stern and we carry 2 30 ft. on board in case of extreme windy weather to put on as springs in an emergency the size was recommended by a well known ex navy man.

Clive.

• Like 1

Thanks all. I think we will check into the chandlery as suggested and see what feels best. Apparently we have a garage full of rope so we probably have some bits for some spring line.

No pink ones though :) I do remember the tip about 1 and half the length now (thanks for that.. Good point matt on the keeping them short to...thankfully our leg can be lifted clear of the water though :) ).  Lot's of good tips.. Thanks again! 

I'd properly get a reel of it and cut and splice ourselves as we did that before and after all this work it's nice to sit and play with ropes/lines!!

I'll let everyone know what we find!

Oh whilst on the subject.. any tips on the length of the mudweight line (we do like mooring on the mudweights).. our surveyor is suggesting I put chain on it to although I think I just need to ignore him as I've never seen a broads boat with chain.. Will putting chain on it cause any problems? (It's a 22kg mudweight anyway).. I'm thinking something like 18mm multiply? 

cheers all

A main consideration is the rope material,

Polyester, nylon, and polypropylene.

Polypropylene should be avoided at all costs because it degrades and flakes and is very rough on the hands.

Nylon or Polyester are fine, nylon being a little softer and more stretchy. Both of them harden after a year or two, and can pick up dirt, but they can be machine washed (in a pillow case), and they then come up like new.

I prefer 15mm, which is overkill and could hold many tons, but as someone said, mooring warp size is all about comfortable handling, and avoiding tight knots.

There's masses of really good information on the web about warp selection and sizing like the articles on the Jimmy Green website, and numerous discussions on the Yachting & Boating World forums.

https://www.jimmygreen.co.uk/products/yacht-ropes---rigging/mooring-warps

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ybw+mooring+warps&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=1wrbVMTmDIbOyQPcnYKYDw

I think it is 16mm we have onboard 'B.A'  - Mainly I found this size user friendly on the hands, small ropes are a bit awkward to pull on and work with if there is significant weight on them.

The washing machine method does rejuvenate them somewhat, ours are now about 8 x years old and I find I'm having to machine wash them twice a year nowadays

The colour is another factor - match your boat or not?  White looks very classy but keeping them looking smart and clean is a nightmare so we went for boring blue - well it matches the boot topping if nowt else

Length - 'B.A's head ropes are about 38ft - 2 x feet short of being able to foul the propeller,  The stern ropes are as big as I could get them to be comfortably cheesed down when on deck and not in use.  Mudweight rope again as big as I could use on-deck when it is cheesed down

You can never have too much mooring warps (Within reason) but they can be too short!

Griff

• Like 3