Have You Got a Light Boy!

GeoffandWendy

Whilst making a list off all the equipment we will need to take on holiday, like camera, video cams, spare batteries, chargers, binoculars, maps, fishing tackle, there was something missing. Then I remembered, we hadn't listed a torch!

Just imagine having gone for an evening stroll and returned in the dark to cry's of HELP WE ARE LOST! we can't find our boat, as we carefully make our way along a pitch black Staith, somewhere in the middle of nowhere. 

So yesterday, I ordered two of these. Handy for the pocket, can be charged by placing in sunlight and a wind up backup charger, if needed. No more having to buy spare batteries. A bargian at the price, with free postage

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008HPPLOK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

• Like 3

Our crew on the canals can be heard on the way to the pub at night by the constant winding up of severeral torches. They are part of our Broads boating kit as well.

After a few years the boating kit always takes up more room than the bags for our clothes.

By the way don't forget the matches or a lighter and after seeing Robin a tin a good tin opener is a must, as is a wooden spoon and spatula. :naughty:

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

Our crew on the canals can be heard on the way to the pub at night by the constant winding up of severeral torches. They are part of our Broads boating kit as well.

After a few years the boating kit always takes up more room than the bags for our clothes.

By the way don't forget the matches or a lighter and after seeing Robin a tin a good tin opener is a must, as is a wooden spoon and spatula. :naughty:

Regards

Alan

Two lighters already on our list, a trusty old Zippo and one of those long nosed gas lighters, that you can get from most diy stores, and a box of matches, just in case the Zippo runs out of petrol, or the gas lighter runs out of gas

If you are going early in the season too take a car window scraper as so you can clear the condensation.. the last thing you will want to do is wait for the windows to demist... :)cheers

Thank you for that, good point Alan, I keep one in the boot of the car, so I will just have to make sure I pack it in the NEEDS BAG for the boat.

• Like 1

Forget the scraper! Get one of these:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/K%C3%A4rcher-WV60-Window-Vac-Cleaning/dp/B009PN0WCO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1424273996&sr=8-1&keywords=karcher+window+vac 

Bought ours last year from the local market for £30 and it's brilliant!

Good idea, but I'm not paying Amazon price for one, at £54. There must be cheaper ones around.

Already thought of tin opener and corkscrew/bottle opener. non stick frying pan (fry up breakfasts) wooden spoon and spatula.

Oh and at this rate, a much bigger holdall, to fit all these extras in.  :lol:

Are any of you lot sure, we WONT NEED the Kitchen Sink!

With reference to the opening of cans, I have seen a good video which shows the opening of cans very easily with no tools other that the availability of a flat piece of concrete, just rub the top of the can (where the seal is rolled over) on the concrete hard for a few seconds, this wears away the can at the seal, then squeeze the can and it will open (you should see the layers of the seal after you have rubbed for a few seconds)

Grendel

If you droped that over the side as a mud weight, you would be permanently moored. You would never be able to lift it. 

Imagine your holiday report on here reading something like this :-

It was a lovely April day when we finally left Richardsons at Stallam on the start of our holiday. As we hadn't a lot of time left before sunset, we decided that Salhouse Broad, would be the perfect place to spend the first night, where we could drop the mud weight, and settle down for the night, before leaving the next day to explore the rest of the Broads.

After breakfast and discussing where to head for, I went out on deck to undo the mooring rope from the cleat and with a lifting motion on the rope, nothing happened. Again I grabbed the rope with both hands, but could still not lift the mud weight. Wendy was getting concerned and came up on deck, to give a hand, but no, it would not budge.

We called Richardsons and within an hour, help was at hand. It turned out that someone during the night had obviously played a prank on us, for at the end of the rope, as it broke the surface, was this large white Belfast sink that had been tied to the end of the rope. Our mud weight must have been taken off and this sink attached and gently lowered back to the bottom. The man from Richardsons, said, these things do happen from time to time and wished us bon voyage as we got under way.

Now I wonder who would do such a thing! 

• Like 3

Good little Led torch tested and works ok. good distant on zoom/spot or normal flood light.

Maybe Siddy, but it needs batteries. :rolleyes:  Better with one like I mentioned at the start of this thread. Charged by solar energy and has a wind up handle to charge as well, thus never needing to replace the battery.

We had the solar wind up ones they did not seem to last 2 minutes before they were useless so went to the little LED ones from Latham's where a set of batteries last at least 2 years and give excellent lighting over winter we remove the batteries in case of decay and dry store them for the following season.

• Like 1

Tend to agree...the LED units' power cells seem to last forever.

The wind-up torches are ok but they need so much attention that the operator risks Repetitive Strain Injury just walking back to the boat from the pub! :)

Especially if you use your glass raising arm to wind them up. :lol: 

Each to their own I suppose! Those I have ordered have 3 LEDs. and according to the reviews, last for about six hours when fully charged through the solar panels. I'll let you know when I get them, how good they are.

• Like 1