Tales from The South Side

Day 7 Friday 1st May 2015

Well where did that week go? Friday already.

I always feel sad getting up on the last full day (I’m sure we are all the same) You’ve looked forward to the holiday for such a long time.

For us exactly a year, we booked the boat the day after we returned from having Fourth Bridge from Bridgecraft in Acle.

We weren’t in a great rush this morning so we had breakfast then another walk around the park before setting off at around 10 o Clock, first port of call Somerlayton where we would meet Alan & Dave to say hello & have a look onboard Orca.

I found it quite surreal having followed her restoration and reading Alan’s excellent commentary to be actually onboard Orca.

You’ve done a great job guys, I’ve said it before you should be really proud of what you’ve achieved.

It was a pleasure to meet you both.

It was good to see Steve & Deb again as they had returned to their mooring after their week afloat.

All too soon it was time to return to our boat for a spot of lunch before heading back towards Brundall. Once again after a really fine morning the weather changed again and became cold & windy.

We stopped at the floating pontoon at Hardley Mill on the way up then had a cruise around Bargate before heading back to the boatyard.

We decided to moor at Silverline on the last night as we wanted to get an early start home,

We usually like to moor away from the yard on our last night but decided this time as we hadn’t done any packing away,  we’d do our packing & cleaning back at the yard.

We didn’t expect to get any money back out of our £150.00 fuel deposit because we’d done quite a bit of cruising,  most of it against the tide and used the fuel fired heating a lot as Mam really feels the cold but we got £32.00 back and were delighted.

We got a good start the following morning and made good time until we got to about half an hour from home where we hit gridlock and sat in traffic for about an hour within walking distance of home.

Friday 9th May 2015

Booked Silver Elegance for the same time next year.

So there you have it, another great week on the Broads.

We loved being on the South again and In all seriousness if you haven’t tried the South, give it a go, it’s really lovey and peaceful.

Hope you’ve enjoyed these ramblings.

Until Next time……..and there’s always a next time (September)

Have fun on your travels

David & family

post-30046-0-07692700-1431472961_thumb.jpost-30046-0-73459700-1431472987_thumb.jpost-30046-0-01577800-1431473016_thumb.jpost-30046-0-09832400-1431473045_thumb.j

• Like 10

I certainly enjoyed too David. Shame it's over it's been my wake up read for the week or so :)

It was a pleasure to meet you guys too and I'm pleased you weren't disappointed with Orca lol As Steve said roll on September :) and we will have to catch up for a beer!

cheers

• Like 1

Absolutely delightful read and the photos stunning, thank you for sharing it with us  :clap

I like the South, then again I like the North, I also like both in August, September, October pretty much any month, I love it when it's silly season and boats are everywhere and I also love the peace and tranquility on the occasions we have been out of school term, I love it when it's cold and you can snuggle up in the cabins and I love it when it's hot and I can sunbathe, guess what I'm trying to say is that I can honestly say I am totally in love with Broadland, North or South lol

Thanks again Dave, glad your mum enjoyed it  :kiss

Grace

• Like 5

Hi David,

When are you down in September?

I have looked at the calendar for September and can not see you listed. Sue from Moonlight Shadow is on the water from the begining of September as are Tan & myself.

I will have to check the tides to see if we can under & back through Yarmouth for that week.

Regards

Alan

Hi Ian

All at Silverline were great, really welcoming and friendly.

This was the first time we have hired from Silverline but were very impressed. All the boats were in tip top condition, ours was fantastic.

It's been a long time since we stayed on the southern rivers and we really enjoyed it again, We've booked ithe same boat again for the same time next year.

Incidentally they launched an identical boat, Silver Serenity while we were there.

• Like 2

Here here Paul. Do we need to give Dave a few warning points for advertising the southern broads..? 

I'll let my parents know though you are referring to them as Sea monsters.. (Probably spot on though!)..

David. Keep going mate, this is brilliant.. Pictures are stunning. The southern broads is lovely and you are clearly capturing them really well ;)

The Southern Broads were fine till that ruddy great whale ORCA moved in! :naughty:

cheers Iain.

• Like 3

Soo rude... :taunt:  two guns

Although it's nor far off the truth.. I keep pressing the 160db air horn button instead of the "Norfolk" horn button... did you stop and catch a glimpse Iain?

Sadly Alan I had to spend much of my time on my back in the saloon.

cheers Iain.