Horseshoe or MOB recovery Sling

Hi All..

At present we don't have means of MOB recovery systems. I'm not quite sure why it was missed but it was..

I'm just wondering though how useful either would be on the broads (Remembering we are based on the southern broads), where the current and winds are an issue .. Would such thing just pointlessly blow away? I remember that both are intended to be used in an area where the boat should make a turn around the MOB as so the person can grab but thats clearly not going to happen.

Any thoughts?

http://marinestore.co.uk/CS1320-SLING.html- MOB Sling or http://www.force4.co.uk/department/safety/man-overboard/lifebuoys-rescue-slings/force-4-horseshoe-lifebuoy-yellow.html?? To be honest I don't really want one as I want to be able to grab one and not hestiate thinking which one to grab? 

(I'm aiming towards the MOB sling?) 

cheers

Alan,

It has been discussed here that there are 2 issues.

First if the mob has a life jacket on you don't need a ring or horse shoe buoy. If not then you need to get a floaty thing to them.

Next is how get them back on board. Depending on your freeboard, etc there are some options but they come at a price and may need some mods to your boat. This seems to be the most difficult part.

I doubt any of us would find the recovery East.

• Like 1

I've used a couple of MOB recovery devices 'in necessity' so to speak. By far the most effective system was the horseshoe with a line attached. It was compact enough for me to easily aim and throw it towards the MOB. I found I could steer it towards the MOB. When the MOB saw the 'big floaty thing' coming towards them they started to relax the panic a little. I was able to easily guide the MOB through the water to where I wanted them to be, to effect an easy rescue.

As baitrunner has pointed out, I now need to invest in some strong and long boarding ladders.

• Like 1

We have a throwing line Alan but both Deb and I ALWAYS wear our life jackets while cruising (with crotch straps done up) as you know. I think I'd be inclined to go with the horseshoe type if we were to invest in another.

cheers

I think that life jackets should be mandatory on certain parts of the Broads. Reedham, Breydon,Great Yarmouth for example. Basically where tide and wind at certain times of the year together with water temperature can be a challenging mix.

• Like 2

cheers All,

I will be ordered a horseshoe buoy today .. just need to find a home for it as we don't have a pushpit rail.. hmm... I'll make sure it has a floating line too.. I seem to remember that we have a throw line somewhere already although it's probably not on the boat!

When we had the sailing boat I did make the wearing of jackets mandatory whilst the boat was in motion/mooring up and the crew never argued. I must admit on this boat the crew refuse to.. although I don't wear mine either so can't really demand! I totally agree though they should be worn. I will be enforcing the law that whilst on Breydon and mooring around Yarmouth and Reedham (if we ever moor there) they will be worn though.. and I need to be stricter if it's raining and Icy (wish me luck).

cheers

• Like 1

Whilst I would always recommend the wearing of LJs, I would draw the line at making it mandatory. where ever you were.

Recommend, coerce, bribe or even threaten the person with Iain's singing... , fine, but leave the law out of it :)

Oye MM i'll let you know I perfomed The Messiah at the ripe old age of 19 and arf! So there  :taunt:

Without doubt, the most difficult piece of music I ever tackled. 

cheers Iain

And very tightly I guess Iain

cheers Ray & Carole

Ray,

Not at all, I am very free flowing in letting them go, the trick is, finding the combination to my wife's purse!  :naughty:

I can make a £5 note last a whole minute in certain Theatre Bars in the London's West End!  :naughty:

cheers Iain.

cheers Iain

• Like 1

I can make a £5 note last a whole minute in certain Theatre Bars in the London's West End!  :naughty:

I'm amazed that you found a London West End Venue that had anything priced or even recognised cash under £20 as legal tender!

• Like 1

I'm amazed that you found a London West End Venue that had anything priced or even recognised cash under £20 as legal tender!

Hi Tim,

Agreed, so was I !!! A Small bottle of Britvic Juice an eye watering £4.60p. 

You are 110% correct though, always went to the bar with a £20 note, to order interval dwinkies!

cheers Iain

Alan,

I am thinking of getting a horseshoe buoy as well - let me know how much you pay if you get one? I know Brian Wards do them (think they were about £46) and they will put your boat name on them as well (although that may be extra). Forum discount though!!

Hi Mark,

I'll probably go for this one..

http://www.force4.co.uk/department/safety/man-overboard/lifebuoys-rescue-slings/force-4-horseshoe-lifebuoy-yellow.html#.VXrFo9LBzRY£22.95 + £5 postage. I don't need the name printed on it will probably have to hide behind the door or something. 

Although I like to shop local to either Norfolk or here, if the price is a long way off then I'd rather save and use the bit saved on a pint or two of wherry... (Jonzo we need to get Woodfordes as a sponsor!).  cheersbar

Sadly for us Mark, Brundall is miles out of the way and we've only made our way over there a couple of times, I could get my folks to collect stuff for me (but its a bit of hassle). We have Jeckles closer at Oulton Broad which aren't too bad. I do like BW though and do use them where I can and needless to say the service with them is amazing and worth the extra couple of quid alone, but my chandlers here in medway do price match against F4 so try your luck :) 

cheers:)

• Like 1

Because we wear LJ most of the time, I got an extra floaty line with the aim of putting a carabiner on the end to clip on to the recovery loop on the harness. The other end is having its own block and jammer that can be snap shackled on and then used to aid recovery; in fact the MOB should be able to pull on it to help counteract ladder curve under the hull.

Its a good idea to have two methods of recovery for a person in the water.

A life ring with a length of floating line should be carried on the boat for use in emergencies.

Also consider a rope strop with a large eye spliced into one end so that a person in the water can

put it over his head and then under his armpits. The total length of the strop needs to be about ten

feet long so that persons on the boat can pull the person in the water to a suitable place where he can be lifted or pulled

onto the boat or just held in position whilst the boat makes for the bank. Dave R...........

• Like 2