Beware YP64 NMU on the A17

Rule 168 of The Highway Code is very clear on what to do when being overtaken. Maintain a steady course and speed, slowing down if necessary to let the vehicle pass you. Seems this idiot needs a good few points on his license or a driver awareness course. At least your here to tell the tale Griff, the next person to encounter him may not be so lucky.

The ones that really annoy me are the people in the left hand lane of a dual carriageway or motorway, who do the courteous thing and indicate and immediately pull to the right to make it easier for traffic joining at a slip road, regardless of the traffic in the right hand lane overtaking them that now has to brake to avoid them.  

on a side note I just loaded this mornings incident - a 3 series BMW, cut from the inside lane at high speed into a slip road, then past a car and across the hatching at the end of the slip road to get back into the slow lane- he must have been doing over 80mph. I might upload that tonight.

Grendel

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-0805-A7-1296P-HD-GPS-G-Sensor-Ambarella-Car-Security-Cam-Dash-Camera-DVR-/321694849614?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item4ae681da4e

We have older version of one of these hard wired in each car comes on with the ignition

More expensive but has gps location and speed / acceleration logging you can view trip and log of speed etc on google maps app

also G shock sensor

Bit pricey but worth it for peace of mind

cheers Ray & Carole

Just found a link I used the other day to check if a car has insurance or not.

Since you was driving a jeep size car his came back to be a Fiat 500, He'd be the one spinning around.

http://ownvehicle.askmid.com/askmid.aspx

check if it's taxed, it's not listed yet is '64' a new plate

https://www.vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/Default.aspx

• Like 1

Grendel do you attract these people?

I assume you do a lot of miles so get more "action" than the rest of us.

I want to get one for the boat after the idiot who nearly rammed me on Saturday on the wrong side of the river. And that was a private motor boat

Just found a link I used the other day to check if a car has insurance or not.

Since you was driving a jeep size car his came back to be a Fiat 500, He'd be the one spinning around.

http://ownvehicle.askmid.com/askmid.aspx

check if it's taxed, it's not listed yet is '64' a new plate

https://www.vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/Default.aspx

Thanks, Siddy... two useful sites bookmarked!  :clap :clap :clap

• Like 1

Mark, Hi.

This looks OK, do you have to plug it into the 12V socket? And does it have a memory card built in, please?

We had two incidents of this occurring this last week/weekend, both on the A17. First incident was Southbound and a little old lady travelling at 45/50 mph kept speeding up every time someone overtook her. The second was northbound. We were stuck behind a flatbed truck from Kings Lynn. The truck pottered along at speeds of 35 to 40 mph, speeding up to 60 when there was room to overtake him. On the Sleaford bypass I managed to overtake him, only to have the idiot try to pass me immediately. I'm afraid there was now way I was following behind him into Lincoln.

Disclaimer: This post is not a comment on any of the situations discussed here, or a reflection on any of the posters here. I am speaking generically here.

Sometimes these situations, or similar can be brought about by the person overtaking not observing the highway code. Two wrongs don't make a right, but it can be quite annoying to be following traffic and leaving a safe gap, only for someone to overtake and fill that gap. You then have a choice of dangerously driving too close to the car in front, or dropping back, only for someone else to do the same again. I would only overtake when there is a large enough gap in front of the vehicle I'm overtaking to get into without ending up to close to the vehicle in front, or the one I have just overtaken. I have also seen frequent examples on motorways where you are in the right hand overtaking lane and leaving a safe gap only for someone in the middle lane to pull out into the gap. Again you drop back and the same thing happens again. This often leads to people driving too close together or accelerating as soon as they see someone in the middle lane start to indicate.

As I mentioned at the start, the above is not a direct comment on any of the posters, but just suggesting an alternative point of view for some incidents. Off course there are also plenty of times when it is just down to pure bad driving as well.

• Like 4

Couldn't agree more Keith. Leaving the "two second" gap seems to be treated as an invite for another car to use it.

I too have had silly B*****s playing games, though less so now I run an old dented Discovery.

I'm thinking of getting a dashcam now, and one for Frances (sister).

Looking at this from another angle in the proffesion i am in I have been trained to anticipate the stupid actions of other drivers, adjust your driving accordingly and you will find you are involved in less of these incidents.

Grendel, the car pulling out from behind the slow moving vehicle, it was an incredibly stupid move by the driver of that vehicle but sods law alone says that it was going to happen. Im certainly not criticising your driving but its worth considering there are steps we can take to avoid putting ourselves in the position where these things happen to us, that is other than getting in the car in the first place!!

On the other hand, living in suffolk we are plagued by motorists driving around 20mph less than the speed limit on 60mph roads. The culprits are normally of the mature variety, and when they then enter a 30mph village 9 times out of 10 they are doing 40mph. This is an issue in itself, people feel forced to overtake and this can obviously put lives at risk.......i have never had anyone speed up on me and despite what i have said thats something you cant anticipate happening. Thats just pure stupidity and anyone doing that isnt worthy of their licence.

as I do roughly 500 motorway miles a week, in rush hour, on the approach roads to London, I guess I get to see more than my fair share of idiots, and that is ignoring the lorries that wait until you are level with their cab before indicating and starting to edge over, I am always planning ahead, and watching my escape zones in case of sudden manoeuvres, that was how I knew I had a space in the next lane out, it wasn't one I would have pulled into out of choice, but I had checked as soon as I saw the cars behind the lorry.

I have never been on a defensive driving course, but have ridden motorbikes for a good few years, so always anticipate the driver in front being about to do the worst possible thing, just after you pass the point of no return, this has saved my skin many a time, when I have had my foot hovering over the brake pedal just in case.

one of the biggest surprises I ever got was in a country lane where a tractor towing a 40 foot trailer that was coming the other way turned left, the trailer being centre wheeled swung the back completely across the road in front of me - Glad I had ABS that time.

Grendel

this evening I tried a different camera, I have a cisco flip (a not cheap HD camera), the downside is that it only has 1 hour recording, and it runs off 2 AA batteries. the good news is that I have found rechargeable battery pack for it, that charges from usb. the quality is a world different from the others, visible number plates at a greater distance.

Grendel