Beware YP64 NMU on the A17

Driving down to the Broads early evening Friday 19th

Incident one:-  an up hill crawler and overtaking lane on the A17, I'm in the outside lane overtaking slower moving traffic, I'm the last in the line, a car driver in the slow lane indicated and immediately pulled out forcing me to brake/swerve over the solid white line to avoid a collision.  It was a close call but no one got hurt.  The driver is obviously one of those that knows the highway code has been re-written just for them where they indicate so that gives them right of way over anyone else immediately

Incident two - YP64 NMU a small white car a few miles past Swineshead bridge heading East on a single carriageway 60mph area.  The car is dong 55-ish I see there is a large gap in front of them before the next vehicle, there is a bend ahead a good distance further on, So I indicate and pull out to overtake, when drawing alongside, the young male driver puts his foot down, and matches my pace, I'm getting concerned that bend is getting closer so I back off to try and pull in behind him only he brakes and stops me doing so.  Sure enough a car appears coming round the bend so I'm now head on, on the wrong side of the road, I accelerate the driver in the car does the same.

So I'm faced with a head on smash or pull into the car - into the car I go, he brakes and we miss - just, the car coming the opposite way misses me but it was close - far too close.

I was scared I don't mind admitting it, I then tried to get his number plate - snag there was I was reading it backwards and the centre headrest on the back seat was in the way and I was in danger of causing an accident myself, so  a bit further on I pulled off the road at the two farm shop cafe's opposite each other, leapt out clipboard in hand and succeeded in getting his registration number. I hope he or his blonde girlfriend saw me - might give them a few sleepless nights.  I rang the incident into the police on the 101 non emergency number, they are sending me a form to fill in and send back to them.

I doubt owt will happen to the driver as it is his word against mine, I can only hope the vehicle behind me/him saw the incident and also took reg numbers.

Incident one I hope was just a lapse of concentration and they forgot to look in the rear view mirror or I was in their blind spot - it happens

Incident two was a deliberate act to try and cause an accident and in no way can be considered a lapse of concentration

Not the best start to a weekend afloat and it got worse!

Griff

• Like 2

Griff

If you dont have one get a dashcam preferably with gps which will record speed etc

In any future incidents pass the video footage onto the plod. In the worst case you will have video evidence if an incident occurs.

I drive a BMW 3 litre Z4 and frequently suffer the boy racer problems (being an old balding b*rst*rd) fortunately the BMW has plenty of power to get me out of these situations.

cheers

Ray & Carole

Dash cams - I've been considering one of late, however in this instance it would have been no good I would have needed a camera viewing the nearside

I was driving my Grand Cherokee Jeep

If I had been on the Tiger the situation wouldn't have been an issue as it's overtaking acceleration can't be matched by any vehicle with more than two wheels, (Other than a few rare supercars) I would have been past the car and safely back in the correct side of the road in no time

I'm now calm re the incident but still proper fizzing re 'B.A's scumbag visitor

Griff

Hi Griff.. I'd certainly report him. As long as you got the reg correct. Sadly because I do lots of driving I get a few idiots. I always report them and I do understand that the police prosecuted one so it's worth reporting.  Worst case he will get a phone call or a knock on the door which should make him grow up and perhaps if he has something up with his car (tax insurance) then they can check that out to.

These incidents are a too common daily occurrence, Dash cam essential.

We have one in each car.

Pity you didn't get the number of the other car that may have witnessed it.

But having said that... that driver might have been oblivious to the incident, or not wanting to get involved, and might just say this 4x4 tried to overtake this car... and a driver coming the other way had to brake hard to avoid a collision...

You never know what people think they see.

Hence a dash cam... or maybe more, they are cheap enough now.

This is not my opinion, but there are other forums on the internet, where people are criticised for naming and shaming individuals where some allege that an incident took place and then say it is one person's word against another.

Like I say, it is not my opinion, and I too would like to name and shame, however we now report incidents like this to the traffic police. We had one individual that was deliberately undercutting cars at speed, on a three lane motorway, we had Dash cam evidence too. The Police stopped him, and then called us to see how far we were to go with the prosecution, they suggested a stern word but they were quite willing to take it to court if we insisted. We felt as though our duty was done... he was warned end of.

Hopefully he had learnt his lesson, without wasting public money.

Sounds like the driver of the white car needs someone to have a quiet word in his shell....what a complete and utter idiot. If thats not dangerous driving i dont know what is. I hope the police do catch up with him and relieve him of his licence.....permenantly

Regarding dash cams - there are some really good and really terrible ones out there and what you want is something with a good wide angle view, good day time image quality and importantly good night time image even on roads without street lighting and only the cars headlights for light. 

Have a look at the below link which the chap runs a small review channel focusing often on action cams and dash cams in all conditions.

It s good to see them used ‘in the wild’ so to speak before parting with money.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Techmoan

me thinks "He was probably on drugs trying to impress the tart next to him".    In truth - she was probably scared to death by his behaviour and I hope she dumped him as soon as she could get out of the death trap they were in.      

Glad you were ok - like others I felt really frightened just reading.

Knowing that section of road Griff was on, I have had the opposite I have been over taking going up that hill past two lorries, to be met with a car on my side of the double white lines coming down same hill, there is if memory serves me correctly a speed camera on the downhill side. I hope it nailed the nutter that I had to take action to avoid!

I have seen an accident there in the early days that by-pass road was built.

I hope Griff, that the nutter is nicked!

cheers Iain.

I know the feeling Griff, I run 2 dash cams front and rear, they are only cheap ones, and you can just about get the reg number once they get close, but no matter what quality they will show who is in the wrong. only a few weeks back I was doing 70 up lane 2 on a 4 lane carriageway, as I came up behind a group of cars following a lorry in lane 1 (they had just joined from the slip road) mr Jaguar driver indicated twice, pulling out on the second flash at 30mph, by this point I was only about 20 foot from him, fortunately I had just checked lane 3 and it was clear for a short space, so I had to swerve sharply to avoid mr Jaguar. I then had to get back into lane 2 sharpish as there was traffic coming up fast in lane 3 (er yes I was doing 70mph) so I really carved back into lane 2 sharpish, only to have mr Jaguar flash me for cutting in front of him a bit tight. I have the video (but not here at work).

another one was just the other night in a 30mph limit down a not so wide road with a cycle path one side and parked cars the other, I was doing about 28mph as its quite a short straight, and matey behind decided to overtake, despite the car that had just turned in at the end of the road a few hundred feet away.

me - I just let them get on with it now, knowing the camera is recording.

Grendel

I always give a running commentary too, including the vehicle reg just in case the video is unclear. I repeat it several times too, car make etc and info on the driver and any visible passengers.

I welcome the introduction of black boxes in cars, one day it will happen, no doubt, for a small fee, they could be tampered with...

Imagine recording say Jeremy Clarkson just before he crashed...

In a Jeremy Clarkson accent...... " NOW Watch THIS" lol

Driving fines should be proportional to a person's worth, eg speeding... 10% of their weekly income, or Giro or Pension.

Maybe, to keep this topic fully Broads related lol... we should consider Black boxes on Boats too... Oh boy imagine that lol...

• Like 1

This was from a video taken by an £11 camera fitted to the rear window of my car. I have one front and rear. Just heard today that the guy is being prosecuted, for driving whilst on a phone and they are in talks with CPS wether to do him for dangerous driving as he almosy rear ended me

https://goo.gl/uCTZKe

I had to get a cam to cover myself, driving from center of Bradford back to Leeds on the A650 the climb out of Bradford is a 3 lane road with 3 roundabouts. Your cut up from all sides as they gain a cars length, the roundabouts i drop back in the middle otherwise the car/van on the left cuts you up. As above if you see something going on behind you I just say it out so it pick my voice up.

One I have show G force level for braking etc. great image at night downside I had to get one for Kaz in the car.

Remember if your on the phone it's recording you which I would think be no good if you needed the footage, and for some reason I stopped singing in the van!

Glad your ok Griff.

Thanks for all your replies, I think I will have to look into getting some sort of dashcam that I can transfer between the van/Jeep/car/Tiger.

You have certainly given me food for thought.

However I have pressure on the finances due to the recent scumbag / pondlife thefts from 'B.A'

The police statement form arrived today re the road incident,  I need to get it filled in with a covering letter and sent off pronto which I will do of course

And yes it was indeed a Fiat - white

Griff

Well derrrrrr . . . . 60mph of course, I had plenty of time / room - or so I thought.

And besides - lets go all daft and say he was doing 90mph and I was doing 100mph - that's not what frightened me or got me so upset.

To be honest I couldn't have given a toss if both of us had been over the speed limit, what he did was purposefully try to cause an horrific accident that would have involved the innocent driver coming the other way too

Griff

• Like 1