Ratchet blocks

Warp

I'm looking at buying a ratchet block. It will be 10mm line wrapped 90 degrees going back to 4:1 on a 30' boat. I think I need one with around 75mm sheves (pleased to be corrected).

There are standard ones and automatic light air ones that freewheel under low tensions. I'm not sure if this would be annoying or not given that light airs are common but we tack a lot on the rivers so may just want it to hold the line.

Any advice or experience shared would be gratefully received.

This is what I have on Poppy, 28' gaff rig, with a 10mm mainsheet. Switchable rachet which is handy.  I also have the final link at the end of the boom on a snap hook. This allows when unclipped for a 3:1in stead of 4:1 in reaLLY LIGHT STUFF.

http://www.talamexleisure.com/partnumber.asp?pnid=406707&source=googlebase&utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=Cj0KEQjw2v2sBRCazKGu3tSFz64BEiQAKIE1hnPFa9J8kp5rQ0iU8Fw3svFdOv69lq4i0kbtmJdt4sQaAiZu8P8HAQ

• Like 1

Personally I prefer a manually switched ratchet to an automatic one - some automatics have a habit of engaging when you don't need them. That said, it's many years since I used one so perhaps they've improved!

For a 10mm mainsheet I would have thought that a 57-60mm ratchet would be sufficient but a 75mm would probably also be fine - you just need to be sure that the sheet diameter isn't too small to engage properly with the ridges in the sheave.

Baitrunner, I can try to help but, being only a simple saily :Sailing this could be difficult

When you've tied the big rag (mainsail) to the little sticks (boom and gaff) and then hung it all off the big stick (mast) you need a way to hang on to them and try to get the wind to push you along. You do this by tying a bit of string (mainsheet) to the far end of the of the bottom little stick. This can be a bit hard to hang on to and risks spillage of the G&T ice slice if the arm gets too tired so you can make it easier by feeding the string through some pulleys (blocks) to make it less difficult to pull on - apparently there is some technical engineering principle involved here but sails are genetically unable to explain this because the word engine is involved :dunce: .

The ratchet block being referred to above is a way of making it even easier to hang onto the string because the wheely thing in the middle of the pulley wotsit has some sort of grippy teeth things that help to stop the string slipping on the sheave and also engage with some sort of rackety geary thing that only lets the wheely thing rotate in one direction. Again, engineering principles are involved here so there is no possibility of a saily :dunce:  being able to understand or explain it. The common approach in this situation is just to find the one that looks shiniest and costs the most because that means it must be the best bit of kit for the job :naughty:

• Like 7

John that is magic. :bow  :bow  :bow  I am crying with laughter :naughty:  :naughty:

Would you believe I am actually going on a sailing holiday - good job I have people like you who know the jargon - All I get told is "pull the bxxxxy rope faster you idiot"!

So when that long stick that is attached to the tall stick swings back and forth and goes across the boat do I duck or swim?

Baitrunner,

One thing for sure, when the long horizontal stick swings across you'd better duck, cos if you don't you'll certainly grouse and might even go for a swim!

Yep it can be a case of duck or swim. However if it hits you hard enough that it sends you overboard you may not be in a fit state to swim so take the usual precautions.

Sorry for being a bit incomprehensible.

12mm, yep, that's the one.

On Spray we have a three and a two on the main & have never felt a need for a ratchet block, even in a  good blow.

On Jenny Morgan I do have a ratchet block but then I have a double & a single, the reason being that she carries a smaller main & I reduced the drag on the sheets as much as I could for sheeting out in light winds.

Well and good, new mainsheet collected and soft eye splice is in the end as requested. I also bought some splicing fids to do an end on end splice to lengthen the tail of the topping lift; this is with a view to fitting a cheek block at the foot of the mast and leading the topper back to the cockpit....DO keep up everyone!