Top ten tips for newbies

JawsOrca

Just a few points:

Once moored and engine stopped select neutral and put the throttle about half way then there should be no danger of starting the engine in gear also centralise the rudder.

On an unknown boat check at the earliest opportunity that the rudder does not centralise on its own when forward throttle is given a small burst to swing the stern round, I got caught out with this on Royall Satin in April, it was the first boat that we had ever hired where you couldn't put the wheel hard over and just leave it, you had to hold it in position all the time.

Could the boatyards show people how to get of a bank in reverse, the number of people you see drag the stern along the quay heading when trying to leave a mooring, I was watching the Wherry Hotel webcam yesterday and even saw a private boat do it.

• Like 1

Come on you sailly types, :Sailing  it must be different for you regarding some, well many manouvers! :naughty:

cheers Iain.

That's true but I would say that sailing boats are easier in many cases due to the deeper keel and that the skipper plans without reverse in mind?

Hunters have some decent videos on the subject.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxCXNpHCfVk

"There are several ways to moor a boot"

That's true but I would say that sailing boats are easier in many cases due to the deeper keel and that the skipper plans without reverse in mind?

Hunters have some decent videos on the subject.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxCXNpHCfVk

Ah but your manouvers are made much easier by the skills of us stinkies helmspeople persons  :naughty:  :angel:

cheers Iain

In most cases, there is absolutely no need to physically push the boat away from a mooring. 

Steer into the bank and then engage forward gear for a tad. JUST A TAD. 

Then engage reverse to counter any forward motion and then go to forward again, JUST A TAD. 

And repeat. And again if necessary.

The boat will pivot away from the dock allowing you to reverse out of the space. If you have a wind holding you on the bank, there are few other methods of getting off without problems. 

Like most things, it is not always this simple, but knowing how your vessel reacts to forward thrust with full lock on will allow you to quickly establish just how much a TAD is and how many TADs you may need. 

AND, please look behind you when reversing. I estimate that well over 70% of our hirers stare straight ahead when I am getting them to reverse across the River Yare - that is until I point out their glaring error. 

• Like 5

In most cases, there is absolutely no need to physically push the boat away from a mooring. 

Steer into the bank and then engage forward gear for a tad. JUST A TAD. 

Then engage reverse to counter any forward motion and then go to forward again, JUST A TAD. 

And repeat. And again if necessary.

The boat will pivot away from the dock allowing you to reverse out of the space. If you have a wind holding you on the bank, there are few other methods of getting off without problems. 

Like most things, it is not always this simple, but knowing how your vessel reacts to forward thrust with full lock on will allow you to quickly establish just how much a TAD is and how many TADs you may need. 

That's something no-one else had thought to mention, Andy...  I'm also fortunate enough to be able to add a TAD of stern thrust into the equation!  :naughty: :naughty:

Exactly Andy, glad to hear that you show hirers how to do this.

Me 2! Am very much looking forward to our handover from Andy in September!

As one or two of you know, we are going to be liveaboards in the not too distant.. Anyone who's willing to give up any amount of their time to improve my boat handling skills - well bring it on i say - bet you get bored afore i do!

Oh and BTW... "not too distant" just became "early next year" due to OH playing his cards just right at work.....  :party:

But even when we're living aboard on the canals, we both agreed that we'd still come back to the Broads on our hols - sad or wot?!  :Stinky

• Like 3

Me 2! Am very much looking forward to our handover from Andy in September!

As one or two of you know, we are going to be liveaboards in the not too distant.. Anyone who's willing to give up any amount of their time to improve my boat handling skills - well bring it on i say - bet you get bored afore i do!

Oh and BTW... "not too distant" just became "early next year" due to OH playing his cards just right at work.....  :party:

But even when we're living aboard on the canals, we both agreed that we'd still come back to the Broads on our hols - sad or wot?!  :Stinky

Hi Jane,

What Canal are you going to have your live aboard on? or are you going to be touring the system?

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

From my point of view you can always learn something new and if given advice it may be worth listening too. A few years back i was advised about reversing out from a mooring and have used this method quite a few times since .

• Like 1

Hi Jane,

What Canal are you going to have your live aboard on? or are you going to be touring the system?

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan,

It will be somewhere around the Midlands, we aim to do a little touring around that area first as we haven't yet decided! My aged folks live in Hinckley, luckily, so we have a large choice.. Including of course the lovely (and lock-free!) Ashby Canal! But as long as I could be within 30 mins drive from there... It may well depend on what work we can get!

cheers!

Jane x

• Like 1

Here's another. 

Knots are difficult to work with and unnecessary when mooring. 

A freephone number is your friend. 

Take a rope from a cleat and pass it through a ring (pinch the rope and pass that through rather than dealing with 30ft plus of rope) then (leaving slack for tide) return it to the originating cleat and apply your freephone number. 

A Zero around the cleat

Now an 8 over the cleat

Followed by two Zeros. 

0 8 0 0 

This will hold the boat in a gale - it won't tighten and will come off quickly and easily. I demonstrate how easily this comes off by simply flicking the rope around. 

No half hitches or other knots are required. 

• Like 3

I remember the '0800' technique given to me from a chap at Herbet Woods and it has stuck with me ever since.

Because I have had to do so much single handed in all sorts of different boats in various places and conditions you sort of get a feel for things and do things quite differently from the perceived norm.  If you have not got someone to give you a good shove off from a mooring, you naturally have to use the technique as described by Andy (I'll call that the Tad Tad and Away).

It really is very useful where you are being blown onto the bank - you have the time to untie, make your ropes secure on the deck and then at the helm know you can 'kick your stern' out and away.  

Click here to watch example where I had just a few feet to between my stern and bow with moored boats with a fresh wind pushing the boat on the bank at St. Benets moorings.

The 'Tad Tad and away' method has been used for years and is more commonly known as 'Springing Off' as one uses a fore-spring to shore with extra fendering on the bow (Especially on 'B.A'  Robin).  Admittedly it can be done without using a fore-spring as long as the wind is not too strong

Griff

• Like 2

Griff

You Are quite correct when I was master on a 400,000 DWT (330 metre long ) ultra large crude carrier we used the same technique to unmoor in Kuwait without the use of tugs

It just took a bit longer and a bit more care with the power

The biggest problem was getting the beast lined up with the departure channel with 22 metres draft.

She Was steam turbine powered as well so engine response times had to be carefully considered

Happy days

Glad to be semi retired

cheers

Ray

• Like 1

:SailingAs for sailies advice,? Read my notes on Horning regatta 2015, :hardhat: as most of it's covered in there.

Oh and if you do go and get some sailing certificates, you'll find sailing in reverse is covered! :Sailing

:SailingAs for sailies advice,? Read my notes on Horning regatta 2015, :hardhat: as most of it's covered in there.

Oh and if you do go and get some sailing certificates, you'll find sailing in reverse is covered! :Sailing

I have reversed Poly's old boat under sail to move backwards out of a mooring, I would not choose it as a tip for a newbie :)

Griff

You Are quite correct when I was master on a 400,000 DWT (330 metre long ) ultra large crude carrier we used the same technique to unmoor in Kuwait without the use of tugs

It just took a bit longer and a bit more care with the power

The biggest problem was getting the beast lined up with the departure channel with 22 metres draft.

She Was steam turbine powered as well so engine response times had to be carefully considered

Happy days

Glad to be semi retired

cheers

Ray

So what is a 'tad' in that scenario then?

• Like 1