Top ten tips for newbies

JawsOrca

I'm sure this elsewhere but top ten tips (I'm so surprised this isn't gospel)

1. Drive on the right

2. Overtake mid channel. When safe to do so. Keep clear of the other boat. Don't cut in too soon.

3. Don't travel after sunset. Unless you got navigation lights.

4. Moor against the tide or the wind which ever is strongest.

5. Step off the boat. Don't jump.

6. Wear a life jacket. Certainly were the tide is strong and certainly for children at all times near the water.

7. Watch your crew when on the bank dont use throttle when they have hold of the ropes.

8. You can't stop the boat its heavier than you. Use a turn around a post. If it's being pulled away from you then you won't able to stop it.. throw the rope onto the boat.

9. Go slowly.. everything is easier then.

10. Enjoy yourself.

Feel free to add more but keep it friendly please :)

• Like 10

Its not always obvious to newbies what way the tide is flowing:-

1. When travelling along watch the water close to the bank you can sometimes see debris and bubbles flowing along with the tide.

2.Watch the fishermen and note what way they are facing, if they are facing to the left they are watching their

floats going away from them being taken along with the tide.

3. look at posts in the water as you pass you should be able to see the tide hitting one side of the post.

4. look at the ropes of moored craft on the side of the river, if the bow rope is tight and the stern rope is slack then the tide is hitting the bow first.

5. When approaching a mooring with lots of moored boats and the vast majority are facing one way then that's usually the way to moor up (but not always)

6. Have a broads tide table on board.

• Like 4

Don't EVER put bodily parts between boat and bank or boat and other boat!

It may be very easy to push a boat along with a little hand pressure from stationary but when it's moving it weighs tons and has inertia behind it.

Don't hang on to a rope that's being pulled toward the post it's wrapped around, you will lose fingers.

And most important of all, Don't try driving a boat sober, it just doesn't work (ignore that one).

• Like 2

:wave another one for the newbies is , you can drive a boat backwards but you CAN'T steer it backwards only forwards, ive seen no end of people struggling, because they can't work why it won't steer properly when they're trying to reverse when mooring up backwards. you have to go forwards & straighten it up then reverse.   just a little thing but it may help.  lori

• Like 2

Remember the boat steers from the rear. Small bursts forward and reverse in a straight(ish line)

And remember everyone has( and still will) make a mess of it from time to time, stay calm , try again take help. No problemo!!

Oh, and savour every minute!!!!

• Like 2

That's a great list that you started us off with Alan.

My top tip would be to reiterate that you should do everything slowly when coming into moor. Then if you should happen to touch the bank or another boat it will be a gentle nudge.

Make sure the engine is in neutral before starting, and start the engine, before casting off.

When coming in to stern moor, never leave it in reverse as you are mooring up, if you slip into the water you are mince meat.

Never leave the helm, if the engine is in gear.

When deploying the mud weight, make sure it's tied to the deck cleat first.

Do not put anything down the toilet unless you've eaten it first, the exception is soft toilet paper.... The thinner and cheaper the better.

Do not run engines unnecessarily at moorings, never before 8:00 am or after 8:00 pm... in an ideal world I wish lol.... ( not sure of times, but some signage does specify).

• Like 1

Unless you are fishing your handbag/dog/wallet or a rope out of the water PUT THE BOAT HOOK DOWN! If you really really really feel the need to fend your boat from another with something... use the MOP. The sight of someone approaching my wooden boat with a boat hook in their hand intent on putting dents into the cabin I've laboriously sanded and varnished or shoving a metal hook through my glass window makes me a little batey. Please leave the boat hook alone, and don't let kids play with the thing. Better still, Hire Companies please remove them from your craft..or at least replace the metal ones with plastic?

• Like 8

Always engage gear carefully and slowly forward and back before letting the mooring lines loose. Cables can and do break and you want to know that everything is working before the current / wind takes you some place you may not be able to recover from. 

Actually, for some of the best advice, simply hire from Freedom and get one of our amazing handovers. :-)

• Like 4

Always engage gear carefully and slowly forward and back before letting the mooring lines loose. Cables can and do break and you want to know that everything is working before the current / wind takes you some place you may not be able to recover from. 

That's a very good point, Andy.  :clap

I unmoor solo and then usually just push off into the river before I make my way back to the forward-control position on our Alpha. I've already warmed the engine up but have never thought to do what you suggest.

At Reedham or Gt Yarmouth that could end in tragedy!  :cry 

People are sometimes very critical of others when parking a car. Mooring a boat can and will be a challenge sometimes, nothing to be alarmed about. Your boat will of course go backwards and forwards, and sideways and will in some instances for some inexplicable reason, be pointing just that little bit off where you intend the boat to finish up. You will know instinctively when things are going pear shaped.

So, a bit long winded I know, but slowly is so important, and just as important, is one factor that has not been mentioned, unlike a car, there is no shame in going round and trying again, or again if necessary. Do you know it sometimes demonstrates that the helm knows what he is doing.

• Like 8

Excellent topic Jaws  :clap

To all new Hirers, always read the handbook, no matter how daft a question if you are worried about something ask the engineers at the Hire yard (they would probably have heard it all before) I know this has been said but most importantly insist your children wear life jackets at ALL times on deck, if you want to cross Breydon it really is simple and a breathtaking experience providing you take all the advice on offer and a bit of common sense, you won't go wrong

Grace

p.s Almost forgot, whenever a Sailie Type appears do as Tan (Ranworthbreeze) and I do and run to the nearest cabin and hide, well, it had to be said  :naughty: )

• Like 6