Favourite Craft

Boatingman

Oh Grace.. My parents never took us on the broads when we was kids.. Mum thought I would try and drown myself..:huh: Hmm don't think I would have! :swordpir: 

I know what you mean though, I won't cause a debate about what I think of these (expensive) new boats but the older ones still have ton's more character and neglecting the cost if we was hiring, I'd be going for the proper old boats :) ( I do certainly think Clive needs to paint some of the new boats Orange or Yellow as we running the risk of the iconic colourful hireboats going extinct at this rate  :norty:  :norty: )

As for the Richardsons obsession I think you need to change your forum signature to say something along of the "Official NBN Richardsons Groupie" lol ;)

cheers

• Like 2

Ray (Boatingman) Hi

Attached is a picture of Rippling Foam which we hired in 1949. There is also a picture of Sorrento Star which is now on the Thames, but as Janey Anne says Pacific Star will be at Beccles. The large cruiser moored in Horning nearish to the Ferry was in fact Janca, originally Craigmoore, and Margolleta in the Arthur Ransome film Swallows and Amazons.

There is also Dawn Star on the Broads.

I have loaded Vestella 6 and Cadilly two of my favourite boats on the Broads but as I was looking for these photos I kept coming across more favourites so I have stopped at just these two, oddly enough they are all wooden !!!!

post-40-0-39931600-1438936066_thumb.jpeg

post-40-0-89669700-1438936105_thumb.jpeg

post-40-0-99735500-1438936144_thumb.jpg

post-40-0-24470500-1438936190_thumb.jpeg

post-40-0-03850300-1438936945_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

A long time before we bought our boat, and like many other owners, we hired boats regularly. Unfortunately, we'd been given 'advice' by someone that we should "steer well clear of the old leaky, smelly and damp wooden boats". As we were newbies to the scene, we took this 'advice' at face value and chose GRP vessels. It's only now when we look back that we realise how bad the 'advice' was and how it caused us to miss out on some truly lovely traditional timber boats. :( Of all our GRP hires though, our favourite has always been the Royall Stuart.

Jaws, I am ashamed to say that I have never been on a Woody, will have to remedy that one day. I do prefer the plastic older boats like Major Gem 2, Broadland Mars especially (favourite centre cockpit of all), I think the new builds are stunning but for me they lack the character of the older Boats. Growing up like most people we were by no means rich, my parents would hire the cheaper end of the market Boats, Rather two weeks on an old wreck than a week on a posh one, I guess that's where my love of them comes from, a bit sad I know but I could probably name every boat in the Richardsons fleet lol

Grace

May I add, some of the modern boats do not have as much storage space as the old woodies have/had.

cheers Iain.

Hi Barry

Thank you for photo of Rippling Foam she must have been nearly new at that time I believe she was built late forties.

It is good to see some of the Star class surviving and in such good shape.

Also information re Janca

Thanks again

Ray

I like Swallow from Maffetts. Lovely little boat for two.

You`re not the only one Ian.

Although we love Lightning, and have wangled two weeks for next June, early July (although i`m looking to swap the two weeks around), we`re going to hire Swallow for a week, purely and simply because we love her so much. 

She`s a fabulous boat for 2, and very warm with the heating on in early or late season.  It also helps that she handles a dream.

• Like 1

Springsong. Great photos. Cadilly was/ is stunning , is she still afloat?

Afloat? No, but she is back in the area and looking for someone to restore her properly. We (Springsong and me) have close ties with one of her previous owners who has a whole evenings worth of tales from their time together back and forth to europe and the fjords many years ago.

Check Wayford's website if you want a real challenge and the opportunity to face being broke for the rest of your life! 

• Like 1

Royall Satin is ideal for 2, lovely boat.

Royall Ambassador is great for a larger party.

Had some great hols on those 2.

I don't like the new style showy cruisers at all. Bit like a poor mans private Monaco Yacht.

Don't like wooden boats either even when they're plastered in chrome and an inch of varnish.

Mine is my first hire boat at the age of 10 in 1981, Consul 3 from Norfolk Broads Yachting Company Wroxham, a Broom 30. I've no idea why but that holiday made me fall in love with the Broads and of course I'm still coming twice a year.

Paul - good to read your feedback on Pacific Princess. I've hired from Pacific twice, looked aboard Princess some years ago and always liked that design. Good to hear improvements have been made. How did Contessa compare?

Juliette is a lovely boat, but a little impractical.  Royal Ambassador OK, but the colour scheme is truly dreadful and it is showing it's age now, more so I think, than the 'gems'.  I actually like the 'bathtubs' - nothing much to look at, but eminently suited to the Broads.

I must agree with whoever mentioned the fact that many of the new boats, well built and equipped as they are, have no character whatsoever.  .  Pretty much the same as a lot of houses these days - bland and boring. 

Nowadays, all the new boats are white, and Richardsons, to make matters worse, have 'sanitised' quite a few of the old 60s/70s boats - shame on you Clive! :(

Have to admit that having hired bathtubs, one centre cockpit and one dual helm boat, we do like the fact that the bathtubs give you the best chance of a stress free week without worrying about bridge heights for the most part. Swan Reflection is so easy to handle and with hubby giving me clear directions, and the bow thruster there if I need it, we usually moor up fine.

The visibility from on top of Silver Emblem was great for turning round in a tight spot such as down Cockshoot Dyke. But given the visibility from the inside steering position was so poor, it did also mean that I steered from on top in the pouring rain to get in at Ranworth Staithe.

What I do agree with is that it would be nice to see some more colour and character on the newer boats. I always think how smart Summercraft's boats look in their distinctive blue and yellow. Our first ever hire boat was from them back in the 90s and would love to go back to them. But we really do need a walk round bed as hubby is tall and that limits our choice.