Ugly Boat?

JennyMorgan

http://www.edp24.co.uk/business/horning_boat_firm_to_join_silent_revolution_1_4198972

Perhaps I'm being unfair on this unusual looking boat but my first impression is one of horror! No doubts in my mind that there is an increasing number of unquestionably ugly boats coming both onto the market and into the hire-fleets but why? I appreciate that beauty is in the eye of the beholder but some of the strange looking boats appearing on the Broads can surely only be called ugly. What do you reckon? 

True boaty people kinda of expect to bend over when standing, sleep on a shelf  or curl up in a cupboard, do their doings on a bucket, shower under a 2 litre bottle and cook on a gas ring ..... a bit like true campy people.

However these days holidaymakers require much more from their accommodation .... hense boats tend to be quite boxy.

I not sure it is a good thing or not but if your designing a new boat I guess it makes sense to produce what the market wants.

• Like 2

However these days holidaymakers require much more from their accommodation .... hence boats tend to be quite boxy.

I not sure it is a good thing or not but if your designing a new boat I guess it makes sense to produce what the market wants. 

And beauty is certainly in the eye of the beholder, eh, Lou?

Thankfully we don't see too many on Oulton Broad! I do wonder if some builders produce what the market actually wants or what they think that the market wants. There are some quite stunning looking boats on the market right now so I really don't see the need or excuse for these ugly box boats.

• Like 3

This design has been around about five years, the angle of the photograph does not help.

The chances of ferry failing under the ownership of Mr Funnel are about zero. That is not to say that he would not sell it on as he has other business. From refrigeration when we had a fishing industry to faircraft, Herbert Woods etc he is probably the gentleman with the most business acumen in Broadland.

• Like 1

Richardson's have proven that you can make spacious boats that look really attractive.

I think Ferry just need to make some tough decisions and have an overhaul of their design people. I don't want to see another yard fail..

I do wonder at the fenestration of many new boats, those 'teardrop' windows do nothing for me but that aside I agree that Richardsons are producing some stunning looking boats and I'm sure that they'll find it's worth the effort.

I don't, for one minute, think that Ferry will fail but I do wonder if their box boats will sell well at the end of their hire days.

I do wonder at the fenestration of many new boats, those 'teardrop' windows do nothing for me .

I completely agree with that, Peter. When I was onboard one with Iain earlier this year I thought just that. Aesthetically pleasing from outside, perhaps, but I'd rather have the better view from inside!

Hardy are wonderful boats. The RNLI own some as training boats due to their sea keeping qualities. The business was sold to windboats in 2013 following the untimely passing of Mr Funnel's son in his forties.

I totally agree Peter, but these boats are for the tourist boat charter business on a small land locked inland system. Hence the floating caravan concept.

And that's exactly what there are, love or loathe the looks it is a caravan afloat.

Not many good looking caravans either but they are practical - sheds on wheels... (Ducks ready to miss the shed draggers comments) Lol.

caravan.png

• Like 1

I wonder what technology will be used in this offering – Faricraft’s  ‘Hybrid’ - Fair Princess is basic when it comes to its electric drive. It iis simply a Nanni engine that has an electric motor coupled to it, and is able to drive the boat for a short period but it does not have the battery capacity or HP to go for extended journeys.

Brinks Rhapsody on the other hand has an Elco Electric propulsion system - this is very expensive with a 25hp - 45hp unit costing almost £10,000 that is without the controllers, chargers and batteries that must go with it - not to mention a 50hp engine to power the 20 kVa generator required to charge the batteries.  In the case of Rhapsody all her drive comes from the electric motor – an engine is simply use for power generation to charge the batteries.

While this might look good on paper, I am none too sure if it is any more ‘green’ in reality, it is however nice to depart a mooring in silence and by being all electric all the hassle of the BBS regarding gas cookers, ventilation and gas bottles is swiftly removed from the equation. 

With three large broadland boatyards now getting into hybrid electric technology and boats that benefit from increased ‘home from home’ comforts on board, I wonder in the future if slowly this is where tall new high end boats will be heading.

• Like 2

I completely agree with that, Peter. When I was onboard one with Iain earlier this year I thought just that. Aesthetically pleasing from outside, perhaps, but I'd rather have the better view from inside!

I agree John, apart from that FE which is well documented on here elsewhere:naughty: A lot of viewing head on is blocked off from giving you a full view. Perhaps to strengthen the superstructure maybe? I will say though, for a bathtub its very pleasing on the eye and has many pluses. Oh and surprising good in windy weather!

cheersIain

You are pretty much on the button Robin. If the technology is VRLA, AGM etc it is not very green at all.

Many manufacturers be they Fiamm, Varta, Yuasa, Powersonic etc manufacture or part manufacture in Mexico, Brazil etc where the environmental impact of such business is far less rigorous than where they are based.

While this might look good on paper, I am none too sure if it is any more ‘green’ in reality, it is however nice to depart a mooring in silence and by being all electric all the hassle of the BBS regarding gas cookers, ventilation and gas bottles is swiftly removed from the equation. 

In fact BB went the no gas way back 20 years ago and installed beta diesel generaters in their boats. We have one!

The BBS is certainly a much abridged version cf with a gas installation. We've had both and our present one takes only a little over half the time but still costs the same!

The Brinks Rhapsody solution is currently what I'm having fitted to my boat, all gas will be gone, there will be a microwave and a hot plate, Fridge  (and TV for SWMBO) But I still will have a diesel heater. But I do a lot of short journeys and will have four solar panels on the roof to cover those.

The battery pack is however big enough to do Horning to Potter  but normally for such a journey I'd wind up the Generator  to keep the batteries charged up. the generator is in a "silent" box and very quiet .Oh I could of course plug into the electric posts and use them for what they were meant for charging the propulsion system.

The system is based on the ideas of this gentleman and his canal boat http://worcesternb.blogspot.co.uk/

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 1

It's horses for courses Peter. These boats make a comfortable cruising base, tourists will like them and probably re-book.  In the meantime they get to be educated by seeing proper boats on the Broads. :)

i really don't expect many people to understand my attachment to our original brass and bronze Baby Blake loo, either! ;)

Edited by Polly

Hmm, hard one this.

Traditional usually means 1) How we always done it.

2) Old fanshioned

3) Can't afford to update so we will dig in.

I'm guessing this conversation was the same when the steam engine was first placed aboard.

I remember the hire catalogues of ten or more years ago when they had pages of sailing boats ready to be hired. Didn't see one now.

Boating holidays to a certain degree are not the cheap option and to put up with last centuries technology just because that was the way, wont sell as many holidays as you would think.

Personally, I've got a foot in both camps. I will be looking for shares in a boat on the broads so I wont mind about the latest farckles, but when I spend big dosh on a hire, I want some tech.

I'm running away now.

• Like 1