2 Weeks Coming Soon, advice for southern broads

MrPlant

Hi All:wave

We have 2 weeks planned in mid september and would like to take in all the southern broads first. Not be down south for many years, last time was on our trusty old Ocean 30.

Any new / interesting places we should visit?

Good pubs for stop overs?

Any shallow river level area's to watch out for?

cheerscheersbar

Hi Mr P,

IF tides are low, it can be quite shallow at Rockland Staithe, but a lovely quiet spot with power if you require it. To me, if you have a fortnight, trips up to Norwich & Beccles would be on my list of visits. Whatever you decide, have a great holiday. :)

cheersIain.

Hi MrP.. Depth isn't a problem.. My sounder alarm is set to 3 feet and it only ever goes off down south entering the marina (And I'm slowly dredging that lol). You should be fine everywhere (Oulton is the shallowest I've seen at 6 feet) . As you know everywhere is lovely.. Geldestone, Loddon, Rockland, Oulton (it's got good now.. moor on the floating bit though, do the walk into lake lothing) Norwich  etc, all worth trying to get too.

Pubs in order of preference, Dukes head Somerleyton (although if you book my table when I'm there I will find you!), White horse chedgrave (loddon), Reedcutters cantley (New owners, proper pub.. go starving though or suffer.. massive meals), Waverney house hotel, Beccles (nice spot.. food ok). Locks Geldeston.. can't think of anymore but these are enough.

Enjoycheers 

• Like 3

Hi MrP.. Depth isn't a problem.. My sounder alarm is set to 3 feet and it only ever goes off down south entering the marina (And I'm slowly dredging that lol). You should be fine everywhere (Oulton is the shallowest I've seen at 6 feet) . As you know everywhere is lovely.. Geldestone, Loddon, Rockland, Oulton (it's got good now.. moor on the floating bit though, do the walk into lake lothing) Norwich  etc, all worth trying to get too.

Pubs in order of preference, Dukes head Somerleyton (although if you book my table when I'm there I will find you!), White horse chedgrave (loddon), Reedcutters cantley (New owners, proper pub.. go starving though or suffer.. massive meals), Waverney house hotel, Beccles (nice spot.. food ok). Locks Geldeston.. can't think of anymore but these are enough.

Enjoycheers 

That was a report from our Southern Broads reporter! :naughty:

cheersIain.

• Like 2

That was a report from our Southern Broads reporter! :naughty:

cheersIain.

I keep meaning to see if Jonzo wants to a "thesuffolkbroads.net" ;) 

It will be far more up market consider the bling boats we have down here.. Including mine of course lol ;) (plus no hirefleet (bases) at all.. (I think?!) geez that's scary alone.. poor Suffolk). 

• Like 1

Hi

i take it your bringing the bin liner down?? If so you can t get past trowse rail bridge in Norwich or past beccles road bridge(old) check the tides for springs for loddon and rockland although time it mid tide you  have no problem at 11ft you'll have to   Wait at both swing bridges and get your times right at Yarmouth (sorry if I am sucking eggs but you did ask!!) Sonia s at the ferry house surlingham is a must !! Mud weighting on surlingham broad if calm very peacefull also Langley dyke very wild!

Hi

i take it your bringing the bin liner down?? If so you can t get past trowse rail bridge in Norwich or past beccles road bridge(old) check the tides for springs for loddon and rockland although time it mid tide you  have no problem at 11ft you'll have to   Wait at both swing bridges and get your times right at Yarmouth (sorry if I am sucking eggs but you did ask!!) Sonia s at the ferry house surlingham is a must !! Mud weighting on surlingham broad if calm very peacefull also Langley dyke very wild!

Oh yes we sure are, I thought we would fit in more down south :taunt:

I know old beccles is a no go, but didnt know there was a low one in Norwich, is that the only way to get to the city centre?

Car or trains work getting into norwich!!!

i always moor in the dyke into the broad at rockland and you won't have depth problems. It's a pleasant walk to either the beachamp arms ( not impressed on s recent visit) or the new inne (well worth a visit). 

Loddon is great but although dredged recently I don't know how deep it is but it is narrow in places. 

coldham hall in brundall, waters edge in bramerton. Both good and moorings.

The main Beccles road bridge is fine unless it's a whopper high tide. 

• Like 1

Evening - if you haven't been south for a while a few places you won't have seen are

1. Whitlingham Broad - not accessible by boat but good 24 hour moorings on the river 20 metres from Broad - nice teashop

2. Hardley Mill - great moorings on the pontoon & well worth a look.

3. Waveney river centre - ferry takes you to Carlton Marshes

4. Oulton Broad - new ferry service to Lowestoft - think it's now working

5. Trip to Norwich - even if you choose not to stay the riverside has changed dramatically.

Canoe hire also available in Norwich if you fancy a paddle upstream.

6. In Surlingham there is a vineyard called Wimbri - they sell the wine in Coldham Hall & Waitrose! They may do trips round the vineyard - moor at Coldham Hall.

7. Think you can get a trip round Langley Abbey -moor at Langley Dyke and check it out online - it's where the polo club is and around 300 metres from Langley Dyke.

Haven't mentioned pubs etc as others have already covered that but just a few ideas for new things you may not have seen. Enjoy - sure you will have a fab time!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Evening - if you haven't been south for a while a few places you won't have seen are

1. Whitlingham Broad - not accessible by boat but good 24 hour moorings on the river 20 metres from Broad - nice teashop

2. Hardley Mill - great moorings on the pontoon & well worth a look.

3. Waveney river centre - ferry takes you to Carlton Marshes

4. Oulton Broad - new ferry service to Lowestoft - think it's now working

5. Trip to Norwich - even if you choose not to stay the riverside has changed dramatically.

Canoe hire also available in Norwich if you fancy a paddle upstream.

6. In Surlingham there is a vineyard called Wimbri - they sell the wine in Coldham Hall & Waitrose! They may do trips round the vineyard - moor at Coldham Hall.

7. Think you can get a trip round Langley Abbey -moor at Langley Dyke and check it out online - it's where the polo club is and around 300 metres from Langley Dyke.

Haven't mentioned pubs etc as others have already covered that but just a few ideas for new things you may not have seen. Enjoy - sure you will have a fab time!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks, I am a big Norwich supporter so go Norwich quite alot, but all the other ideas we havnt done, the Vineyard sounds a great idea cheers

Poggymale thanks for all the info - ferry service from oulton? Fantastic, i thought and had a google - look at this baby!

http://www.lowestoftwatertaxi.co.uk/

M/L “TERRIER”

Originally dating back to 1954 she was used in Glasgow and the Clyde as a Motor Launch (M/L).  She was built with a Helsman’s cabin, amidships and a semi open area aft for passengers. She came to the college a couple of years ago from Clyde Marine Services LTD where she was worked regularly and it was time for her retirement.

Well that's just made it to near the top of the to-do list!

We're there from Saturday for two weeks MrPlant (no relation to Robert i presume!) on Song of Freedom from Freedom Boating Holidays.. if it's me helming you won't miss us as i have pink bits in my hair - give us a wave!

• Like 2

Poggymale thanks for all the info - ferry service from oulton? Fantastic, i thought and had a google - look at this baby!

http://www.lowestoftwatertaxi.co.uk/

M/L “TERRIER”

Originally dating back to 1954 she was used in Glasgow and the Clyde as a Motor Launch (M/L).  She was built with a Helsman’s cabin, amidships and a semi open area aft for passengers. She came to the college a couple of years ago from Clyde Marine Services LTD where she was worked regularly and it was time for her retirement.

Well that's just made it to near the top of the to-do list!

We're there from Saturday for two weeks MrPlant (no relation to Robert i presume!) on Song of Freedom from Freedom Boating Holidays.. if it's me helming you won't miss us as i have pink bits in my hair - give us a wave!

Will keep an eye out :wave

So planned our little trip ''down south'' for next week, as said not been down past yarmouth for quite a few years so really looking forward to it!

Passing down via yarmouth at low tide on monday afternoon and would like to head oulton broad / beccles direction first.

Can anyone suggest a nice stop over place. with good pub/food between yarmouth and the bottom of the waveney? :gracie:

if not might just head straight for oulton !