Big road changes to A47 Junction at Norwich

Boaters

Big changes for  users of the A47 junction at Postwick to the East of Norwich with some diversions and a new layout,which may affect your journey to the Broads area.

Looking at the photo it appears to not be very recent as work on the bridge and roads are much more advanced than shown.

http://www.edp24.co.uk/motoring/eastbound_exit_slip_road_at_postwick_will_close_for_good_this_week_1_4270363

Edited by Boaters

Big changes for  users of the A47 junction at Postwick to the East of Norwich with some diversions and a new layout,which may affect your journey to the Broads area.

Looking at the photo it appears to not be very recent as work on the bridge and roads are much more advanced than shown.

http://www.edp24.co.uk/motoring/eastbound_exit_slip_road_at_postwick_will_close_for_good_this_week_1_4270363

Looking closely at the new routes one  can only wonder.......   :shocked

• Like 1

Use this junction several times a week and present coned layout  is confusing and we ended up going round a second time to find the Westbound exit ,would be a night mare in fog or heavy rain at night I am  sure there will be much to put up with before it is  finished ! 

"present cone'd layout  is confusing and we ended up going round a second time to find the Westbound exit"

To true!

I went round twice as I missed the exit the first time and then ended up in the Park-N-Ride the next time round!!

Closing the existing exit slip road is madness as the locals now have to go round 4 roundabouts to get back into Thorpe.

We also counted 12 sets of traffic lights to pass when coming from Thorpe onto the A47 to head north!!

Who the hell thought of that? An accident waiting to happen as you try to watch the moving traffic, the lights and try to see your exit at the same time..........:hardhat: 

This junction isn't very far from us, and yes it's a bit confusing currently. I think the plan makes sense, though, in the context of the new bypass.

In the context of the new Northern bypassbypass, time will tell. But I do fear for the delightful village of Postwick, Postwick Grove, and that part of the River Yare which embraces the May Gurney complex. Once a place enjoyed by pleasure boats and picnic parties from Norwich together with notable artists. Progress I suppose.

If this is progress for Norfolk, then why is Norfolk one of a few remaining English counties without a motorway linking it's county town?

It is also one of 8 English counties that doesn't have a Motorway, Suffolk being another.

Edited by Viking23

And the new Northern Bypass actually leads nowhere. It does not loop round to re-join the 47 but just stops near Taverham. It will however lead to Norwich having sprawing suburbia and will be an incentive for ribbon development along the Wensum Valley. The road also shows muddled planning as it effctively blocks any expansion of Norwich Airport. Not only will the Upper Yare area be Changed but it will not be many years before the spread from this new road makes Wroxham, Coltishall etc. Suburbs of Norwich.

• Like 1

As a lifetime resident of our fine city I will be overjoyed when the bypass reopens properly after 18 months. I am going to avoid the NDR debate & the new slip road.. I have friends who work on the business park who again will be happy regarding the reopening. Coming from anywhere west or south of Norwich I would always recommend that route (towards Yarmouth) for anywhere on the Broads round anti-clockwise as far as Wayford Bridge & reopening the road properly is going to be great!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The bypass may not (yet) do the circle but when it gets to the Wroxham road I shall be happier, as at the moment I go all the way out to Acle to get on the 47. At most times of the day it's better then trying to go round Boundary road.

• Like 1

Fail to see how the new road layout will ease any traffic at all. 

It is lunacy to close an existing slip road that performs the task of taking traffic from the a47 and into Norwich only to have to route those cars all around the area, at least a mile further out of their way, just to go back to Thorpe or St Andrews Business Park and the like. 

Already, leaving Norwich has become a mile longer, and not getting in will become a mile longer too. 

In the grand scheme of the NDR, this might make sense, but to bugger up traffic flow for the existing areas is crazy.

• Like 2

The bypass may not (yet) do the circle but when it gets to the Wroxham road I shall be happier, as at the moment I go all the way out to Acle to get on the 47. At most times of the day it's better then trying to go round Boundary road.

Isn't it quicker to go through the Plumsteads or Blofield Heath, Q?    :wave

If this is progress for Norfolk, then why is Norfolk one of a few remaining English counties without a motorway linking it's county town?

It is also one of 8 English counties that doesn't have a Motorway, Suffolk being another.

I'd drink to that comment Viking if I was allowed too! I really thought by now a proper road from the A1 coming south would have be built. Or the A17 made into a proper road, not a "Farm Road!" that it remains just now.

cheersIain

Essex's county town (Chelmsford) Also isnt linked to anywhere by a M road!   in fact it only has the dirty dozen as a link road

Isn't it quicker to go through the Plumsteads or Blofield Heath, Q?    :wave

It's isn't necessarily So, a quick trip down the 149 and then over the top the Acle, may well be quicker than the roads from Wroxham.

That would certainly have been the case last night, I had a company dinner at The Tamerind, Blofield Heath last night and at some junction towards there, after Wroxham the road was closed by a police car, I tried to go up towards Woodbastwick , but there was a snarl up with a coach trying to get past something big coming the other way. I ended up going down Via Rackheath to go around.

Actually it may still be the case that going via Acle may be quicker after the  NDR is built, as getting past Roys of Hoveton at rush hour / peak shopping time, when the queues stretch from the New medical centre to the lights then again from the River Bridge to the Railway Bridge can take a very long time.

It was a good meal though

Edited by TheQ