Two more Moorings to be lost

ChrisB

1 hour ago, Jonzo said:

Looks like BA 'management' are no longer capable of running the Broads, as they seem to have no influence. Probably best for PacMan to resign?

Jonzo, whilst you have points with which I agree, your final sentence & reference to influence, I  do generally support much of the middle management, most of which are well capable of running the Broads for us. As regards lack of influence, I would link that to the widely held perception that both trust & respect at the top has been lost. I'm not so sure that the NP issue has helped in that regard. Have no doubts though, there are some good people at the Authority, Trudi Wakelin for example, for whom I have a great deal of respect and would like to see Packman step aside for. 

• Like 1

I have always found the rangers very understanding and approachable, the same can be said most of the departments within the Broads Authority, especially the Tolls department. The notices we receive are sent out in a timely and efficient manner.

As you say its a pity that the man at the top has his own agenda. If only it was an elected post, but that's quangos for you!

Regards

Alan

• Like 3

Jonzo - I assure you , that it may well be the landowner!! Not noted for worrying or caring what anyone thinks of him!

As far as the Thurne moorings are concerned, the loss here has been speculated over for some time but those with their ears close to the ground are not far from the truth - or so I am led to believe!! And no, sadly am I going to expand!!

I thought the BA were looking to maintain the same number of moorings overall, if some of the old ones are removed then new ones will be sought.  With a lot of moorings being on short leases the BA have tried negotiating longer leases to justify the cost of up keeping the quay headings.

The problem with moorings near boat yards (river ant) people returning boats have to spend their last night within easy traveling time of the yard, the same then applies to the new hirer who leaves the yard at 3 or 4 and has to find the first available mooring.

BA revenues will continue to drop if hire yards close, I think Clive is running 15 less boats next year, so even if they are kept on the broads in private hands the multiplier is lost and the Authority tolls drop, tolls drop and spending on moorings falls.

21 hours ago, zacthedog said:

Not the BA's fault, but this is getting silly now! would not be so bad if they become private moorings with a reasonable overnight charge, but some one will be making a mint by selling mudweights soon...

The land is owned by Cators, I believe. Cators also own Salhouse Broad and collect mooring fees there, so perhaps the same will happen at Woodbastwick? 

This may also have an impact on the recently re-launched Horning Ferry service which lands here.....

So, then the next question, if there were to be a mooring charge here, would people moan and suggest they would boycott the moorings just as they have said they would with the Ferry Inn opposite or would they pay up and then pay for a Ferry trip to the Ferry Inn to avoid the mooring charges (assuming the ferry service still runs). Alternatively, would this all make the need to hire a dinghy even greater? 

As in all areas of austerity, the vast majority of people who are chasing the money are expected to pay more and more for less and less. There are more public inconveniences now, fewer refuse disposal sites, expectedly fewer moorings and a supposed drive to get more people to this "national park" that's slowly becoming less welcoming. 

Sounds like a recipe for success to me.......

• Like 6

19 hours ago, Jonzo said:

Looks like BA 'management' are no longer capable of running the Broads, as they seem to have no influence. Probably best for PacMan to resign?

FFS Queenie, give the bloke the 'Honour' he craves! Then he can **** off to a quiet retirement.  Until then...... :naughty:

• Like 8

So you think a different person  at the BA would take a differing approach? And that it would be an improvement??

BUT it may not be!!!! Plenty of adages to suggest otherwise!!!

Going back to moorings, I guess it will be possible that they will collect mooring charges but i think that unlikely - that would probably be uneconomic. Remember Salhouse is slightly different in that is run as a self contained business in that it has a member of staff whose salary is covered, probably, by the mooring charges for many more boats and other activities.( Wonder if he takes a cut of ice cream sales????)

Think its a case of wait and see but clearly, whilst there is a minority who do not like JP, the people who pay his salary think otherwise!

I was told by a Landowner in Sussex that Dr Packman is held in very high esteem in that part of the world. He is credited there for being very instrumental in turning round Brighton from it's decline into the vibrant town it is today. (pity he can't help Great Yarmouth do the same) His CV is impressive.

"Dr John Packman BA, PhD, Dip TP, MBA, MIED, MRTPI FRGS

John was appointed as Chief Executive to the Broads Authority on 20 March 2001. He has previously worked as a town planner for Norfolk County Council, as a researcher at the University of East Anglia and in Wellington, New Zealand for the Ministry of Works and Development. Prior to taking up his present role he was Head of Economic Development and Regeneration for Brighton and Hove City Council.
He is currently working with the Authority’s members and staff on significant changes to the organisation to cope with a large projected reduction in National Park Grant following the Spending Review."

2 hours ago, Jonzo said:

If he's so dynamic, why has he been in the same job for almost fifteen years?

I was just pointing out he has the type of background that is looked for in the head of an organisation like the BA.

Why has he stayed? Most likely because he likes the job and is happy to live in Norfolk. It is cheap and on a CEO salary I wager he lives very well.

17 hours ago, ChrisB said:

I was told by a Landowner in Sussex that Dr Packman is held in very high esteem in that part of the world. He is credited there for being very instrumental in turning round Brighton from it's decline into the vibrant town it is today. (pity he can't help Great Yarmouth do the same) His CV is impressive.

I too have heard such things.

A little blunt but not entirely unfair Mr Marshman sir!

OK, We all know about the on-going Packman/NP-status issues (and let's not get into that one here) but what about other things going on for which he may have some responsibility? Shouldn't we be looking at these things entirely independantly?

What we want Dr Packman to deliver is good value for our toll money. If a "BA 24 hour mooring" has constant high usage, this should be continued, but if there's a mooring that has minority usage, but is expensive to hold and maintain, then perhaps they should be dropped and other, better 'value for money' places should be sought?

1 hour ago, marshman said:

It is just so easy to write posts with information you have gained from an Internet Forum!!

Clearly you will have added to that information when you took the opportunity to meet and talk with the guy!!

Try it one day!!

I've never met him Marshman, and I certainly don't like some of the policies he's made, but the current outburst of personal insults toward him has revealed a regrettable side to this forum.

Without knowing the precise details of the negotiations with the landowners, how can anyone correctly apportion the blame for the non-renewal of the leases ?

No, much more fun to slag the BA and it's "evil" overlord........

Thanks Strow, Much whgat I was trying to say.

I don't think this to be so much a slagging match, so much as more a debate about the person responsible for the upkeep of the broads. For that he is fair game, however, I think we need to consider his policies individually. Sure, give him a verble slap for the bad ones, but don't write off everything he does in the name of a few.

I have absolutely no doubt that Dr Packman would find time to talk to anyone who asked for an interview. A charming and persuasive man. However I think that several meetings, perhaps working with the man, are required before making judgement. Yes, I agree with Strowager, insults, rather than comments, based on mere gossip are not the best way forward. However, out of respect to a source, I understand it when some folk don't go into great depth with their comments. I also understand folk forming an opinion based on what they see, or perceive, as being or not being done. Nevertheless, now't wrong with debate, long may it continue.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, imtamping2 said:

I think the question should be if he was CEO of another company with his 14 year track record would he still be there....... ?............. Discuss.......:shocked

Must we? Its almost Christmasxmas2, the season of goodwill lol:

xmas6Iain.