MP's give green light to Fracking under the Broads!

ranworthbreeze

27 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

'I can half imagine the BA being in total support of it . . . . . . . . . . . 

. . . . . . . . . the chance of finding shale gas in Norfolk is about nil!!

Two extremely unlikely scenarios, two like signs make a positive, don't they?

Well I am positive the discussion regarding fracking will go on for a very long time. All sources of energy have to be searched for, but many will say....not in my backyard!!

The EDP at its best !  "But a spokesman said she supported " Who edits that rag?

xmas6Iain

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BroadScot said:

Well I am positive the discussion regarding fracking will go on for a very long time. All sources of energy have to be searched for, but many will say....not in my backyard!!

The EDP at its best !  "But a spokesman said she supported " Who edits that rag?

xmas6Iain

Apart from believing that Spokesman refers to both sexes as it always used to. so I will still refer to chairman not chairpersons and definitely not a chair.

The EDP  appears to have no editors these days, when they started repeating the same article on the same page I gave up with it.

If looking for the devious, then my attention will be focused on the Stock Market. The energy sector has been in the doldrums for a long time driven down by the oil price. Now this is likely to produce a short term shot in the arm.

A covering of strategic purchases in the "Frack Attack" sector could be a good bet.

*****CONSPIRACY THEORY*****

But, have the savvy traders sewn up the market with options over the last few days and weeks because they have already been slipped the SP by Whitehall grey suits.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Strowager said:

......surely someone can theorise a more devious involvement with the BA ?

Especially with the National Park aspect as a catalyst........ :rolleyes:

Catalysts? they're made of platinum,   they've found that under the broads?:D

In all seriousness, if other energy alternatives are an indicator, the consumer usually pays for research, development and implementation and fortunes are made.

But jobs and industry rely on a stable energy market. When big users fail as has recently happened in Steel, unfair competition, collapse of world markets is blamed.

We never hear what part our domestic energy played in their demise.

13 minutes ago, ChrisB said:

In all seriousness, if other energy alternatives are an indicator, the consumer usually pays for research, development and implementation and fortunes are made.

But jobs and industry rely on a stable energy market. When big users fail as has recently happened in Steel, unfair competition, collapse of world markets is blamed.

We never hear what part our domestic energy played in their demise.

Actually there was lot about the energy cost when the closed several steel plants in the UK recently and the cost of our energy was cited as one of the major contributors the to closures.

51 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Actually there was lot about the energy cost when the closed several steel plants in the UK recently and the cost of our energy was cited as one of the major contributors the to closures.

In serious in depth reporting I agree. However on the TV News it was all about D. Cameron discussing it with the Chairman of China when he popped over to do a bit of PR.

5 hours ago, JanetAnne said:

Maybe they could start under Potter Bridge ?  :naughty:

Well some say the land and surrounding area might be lowered by extraction, similar to the brine pumping in mid Cheshire, pumping that created Winsford flash for example. The London basin has sunk due to water extraction over the many years, as clay soils have dried out, the water table is so deep now. This is probably the cause of the major risk to flooding in London. 

The lowereing of the land would make passage under Potter Heigham Bridge more of a challenge. Maybe, they should consider extraction under Hickling Broad, and Breydon Water, thus increasing water depth, without having to dredge lol....

However, as has been said, the fracking will take place deep underground, no one knows what effect it will have many miles from the site.

The rock formation in the UK is fairly unique.

Mind you, we shouldn't worry, they will keep fracking until they get a certain strength earth quake, a bit like keep chipping a windscreen on a car, until it eventually cracks. The windscreen is now considered weaker than it was, and strengthens the structure around it, when fully intact.

You see, it all depends on which part of the internet you read - my understanding is  that the water table under London had been rising for the last 30  years quite rapidly as there was now no industry extracting water and indeed it was now so bad, some of the deeper tube lines have to pump constantly to avoid flooding!! Some foundations are even under threat!! Or perhaps I have just misread Vikings answer.

And if land collapsed as they took out oil, some of the Gulf States would be below sea level now!!

Equally those in the know will tell you that fracking has been taking place off the Norfolk coast in the North Sea for decades without ill effect - its a bit like GM foods. The less we understand, the more we fret about nothing and to prove the point we have a whole political Party intent on taking us backwards and standing in the way of progress ( which you can't!! )

The comparison between water tables and fracking is rather like comparing Hickling Broad to the Atlantic Trench - there's a similar degree of difference in the depth....

And as Marshman suggests, if extraction of gas was going to create a void underground the North Sea would have drained into it by now and we could walk to Holland, as they've been pulling gas out of the Leman Bank and Indefatigable fields since the 1960s.

That's the problem with oversimplified graphics on the telly - the scales don't show the relative size of hole against the depth so everyone thinks the ground is going to open up like the surface sink holes in housing estates caused by underground streams or old mine workings.

Coal mine tunnels 6 feet across and a couple of hundred yards down can and have destabilised the ground but some drill pipe about 6-8 inches in diameter going down 3/4 mile or more are just so different. 

Yes, one thing that's nice about squishy Norfolk is the rarity of Coal Mines.

I remember being surprised when I first moved here and banged in the post of my garden bird table.

The first two feet needed a club hammer, but then I found I could push it by hand right down to ground level :shocked.

No need for pond liners either.......

But West Norfolk and The Fens have Kimmeridge shale and Clay. This is named after Kimmeridge Bay in Dorset, here the shale is exposed.

The shale on the beach if given a high heat source in the form of a bunsen burner will then burn and support its own combustion.

Kimmeridge was home to the first uk oil well and there was a nodding donkey there from the thirties I think.