Pass the parcel

littlesprite

The thrills of internet shopping! I have a parcel that started it's journey in London, I live just 30 miles east of London so hardly a long haul.

The delivery company collected the parcel and took it to Hub 3, apparently a national distribution centre in Hinckley Leicestershire in order to sort and deliver to my local distribution depot at Dartford. Unfortunately the parcel ended up at Southall London instead of Dartford but they spotted the error and it was all under control, my Parcel was dispatched and duly arrived in Birmingham Hub 4 (only 35 miles west of Hinckley hub 3. Having clocked many hundreds of miles  travel my parcel is now on it's way to Dartford the local distribution depot "again"   all being well I should take delivery tomorrow, but I've been told that before.

• Like 4

As I live in a place of which there are two with the same name in Norfolk, one is served by Kings Lynn, the other by Norwich, so when some one reads the name instead of the post code and gets it wrong. it goes to the wrong one. then it has to be returned then off to a hub, then back to Norwich and then I occasionally get the parcel..

Sometimes the driver on the wrong area puts "no one in" on the parcel and it goes back to the company!

We've even had some one change the post code first 3 letters to the other area and then get the phone call I'm just approaching where are you? to which the answer is 40  miles away!!

• Like 1

The joys of online tracking ! :)

The variations that it reveals in speed and efficiency keep surprising me.

I once bought something from Cornwall via a private seller on Ebay, and it was sent to me via a really cheap courier, at less than half the cost of parcelforce.

It was collected in Truro at 13:30 the same day and arrived here in Norfolk at 15:30 the following day.

I've also bought several parts consignments direct from an eBike distributor in China. The tracking showed them packed and shipped the following day, then arriving at Frankfurt hub the day after that, then Stanstead the day after that, then delivered in Norfolk the next day, four days for halfway round the globe.

Sod's law dictates one thing you can be sure of though, if it's something you're depending on, those are the ones that will be delayed. :(

Doug I got Prime a few weeks ago at £59 and 1st order I placed took 7 days, next few been ok and got the odds and sods on wish list you've saved which didn't get on the free postage before.

Not looked at the firestick, I've got smart tv's and all logged into prime so Kaz can get video's that way or on tablet, laptop etc.

I've seen Prime are offering £3 credit if you don't need it next day on and off in last week or so,

• Like 1

Yes! Yes! Yes!

It arrived at 12.10 today,  so with no parcel to track now, I will spend my time watching the grass grow "life can be so exciting"

As for next day deliveries check the small print, I had a problem of next day (3 days) delivery, on checking the small print it states "next day after dispatch" it doesn't say when it will be dispatched.

• Like 1

Yesterday I ordered an item from Marine Scene, in Swansea, I chose normal free delivery, 4-5 working days, I received a text saying it would be delivered today between 12:54 - 1:54 pm

12:54 today...  Knock Knock... parcel arrived, next day, delivery wow great delivery service from DPD 

It wasn't parcel force, that would probably be in the back of a depot miles from anywhere  for a week, judging by my last experience when I requested next day delivery.. I complained on that one and got compensation.

Hi Monica,

We never use Hermes for the reason as per above, a lot of their deliveries are done by people in cars who work sub contract, if customers of ours use them for deliveries to us the lady driver knocks at the door but will not put a foot inside our premises.

We tend to use Interlink or Interparcel (we use their UPS collection service).

Regards

Alan

On 18/12/2015 at 5:09 PM, NorfolkNog said:

........there's an old saying, pay peanuts and get monkeys and there may be some truth in it. 

I find the choice of which carrier to use is much more difficult than just comparing the prices.

I've had terrible service from some of the more expensive ones, but confusingly the cheapest have often done really well.

I quite like the MyHermes setup in my particular area. The local delivery agent has stayed the same for a number of years, and knows when I'm in and where parcels can be left if I'm out, so they have the same local knowledge advantage as the Royal Mail's good old Posties.

This contrasts strongly with several bad experiences with DHL, APC, Fedex, UPS etc., where the constantly changing drivers often can't find my house, and parcels are sent back to the sender, after alleged "delivery attempts". (My front garden CCTV confounds those claims).

I've had good experience with MyHermes when sending too, with their numerous local collection points, where parcels can be dropped off, rather than waiting in for a driver to collect.

I think  that's very much the point Strowager . The service is only as good as the agent or delivery person. I saw an appalling video posted on Twitter recently which showed a Yodell driver literally throwing parcels from one van to another. One of my hobbies is vintage radios and I have had several damaged by different couriers and others have arrived safely. I think it's luck of the draw whether you get the muppet or not!

• Like 1

DPD I have always found excellent and deliver every time in the designated time slot. My Hermes, I am like Strowies agent, he has been with them for several years and always delivers direct, or where we have asked a parcel to be left. He even knows to wait while I get my old bones to the door! Cannot fault them.:clap

xmas6Iain.

Changing the subject just slightly but still parcels,  on our Streetlife a lady has posted.

I have had a parcel addressed to my place but a different address inside the box delivered. It is full of Christmas presents. I have tried the 2nd address to no avail does anyone in Beccles know a MR GLENN SPEED if so can you get back to me as I would not like his prezzies to go amiss.

Most weird,   somebody said it could be a scam of some kind.   I cannot think why.

She also said that if she cannot locate the owner, after Christmas she will open the presents and distribute around various charities.   Somebody pointed out that it is not her property to distribute anywhere and she could be prosecuted.   What are you supposed to do.    Lets face it a lot of people would have just kept the parcels and not said anything.