RNLI out on Breydon, again!

JennyMorgan

Why bother to pay salaries out of tolls when the RNLI provide a service and now seem to go out every time a boat goes aground??

Probably a bit harsh but they do like a "shout" and definition of  "in danger" seems to have been modified somewhat in this age of health and safety!! 

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, marshman said:

Why bother to pay salaries out of tolls when the RNLI provide a service and now seem to go out every time a boat goes aground??

Probably a bit harsh but they do like a "shout" and definition of  "in danger" seems to have been modified somewhat in this age of health and safety!! 

Marsh, wise words with which  I agree quite unreservedly! 

It also begs the question, why did the BA bother?

• Like 6

With all the soft mud around breydon the obvious answer is a hovercraft, you can always get right up to a grounded boat or person stuck in the mud, doesn't need to be anything big realy just enough for 2 crew and a passenger, you can relay passengers one at a time if it's easy access.

Maybe I'm completely wrong and it's far more useful to have something with a much deeper draught than most hire hire boats when groundings are the most common issue to deal with....

• Like 4

Lowestoft beach, like many others around the coast, has a lifeguard station manned and womanned by RNLI volunteers. Wonderful, these people offer a valuable, worthwhile service. Seems to me that had the Authority looked outside the box and bunged the RNLI £20,000.00 p.a., for example, then the RNLI could have provided competent, 24hr cover on Breydon whilst the toll payer would have saved a big lump of cash. Rescue and salvage is not what the Authority is good at, for a start it can't be based around office hours.

A few years ago the RNLI provided a rescue facility at Oulton Broad, all to do with a covenant and a bequest, what a waste of money that was, but Gorleston RNLI on Breydon is proving itself  as a valuable asset for the Broads. All very well being wise after the event but it is a great pity that the RNLI was not consulted in the first place, after all, rescue is what they do.

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, LeoMagill said:

With all the soft mud around breydon the obvious answer is a hovercraft, you can always get right up to a grounded boat or person stuck in the mud, doesn't need to be anything big realy just enough for 2 crew and a passenger, you can relay passengers one at a time if it's easy access.

Maybe I'm completely wrong and it's far more useful to have something with a much deeper draught than most hire hire boats when groundings are the most common issue to deal with....

The problem with running a hovercraft commercially, is  that the law requires them to be "helmed" by a qualified "pilot", and the running and maintenance costs are astronomical when compared to a boat.

Think of the increased scope for haranguing the BA  if the overheads for a hovercraft appeared on the nav budget...... 

Would think that Breydon is too small to justify the expense of a hovercraft but no doubt that it would be an excellent craft for rescue there. Don't think that anyone is seriously suggesting that Authority runs a 9 to 5 hovercraft rescue service though!!

http://rnli.org/aboutus/lifeboatsandstations/lifeboats/Pages/Hovercraft.aspx

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

It also begs the question, why did the BA bother?

1: the part of the psychic apparatus that experiences and reacts to the outside world and thus mediates between the primitive drives of the id and the demands of the social and physical environment.

3 letters, e something o

1 hour ago, JennyMorgan said:

Rescue and salvage is not what the Authority is good at

Lets hope its the only thing they are not good at:naughty:

A chap on this forum is currently asking fellow members what they would like to see in a pub should he open one. That's called market research. He is listening intently to each and every comment so that his investment would be a success.

If I was to put together a boat for use on Breydon I would ask the people with experience of Breydon what was needed. Boat yards, boat owners, salty sea dogs with years of experience of the water, the RNLI and Coastguard. Then I would provide it. 

To my mind the safest thing we could do to Breydon would be to double up on the posts that mark the channel. Not only would that stop a large number of the running aground problems it would also mean that anyone breaking down would have double the chance of getting a line round a post on their way past...

And, if I was in charge of patrolling I would maybe base my shifts around the tides rather than office hours. Why would we send a boat out mid afternoon to sit and wait when the mass exodus was at first light is beyond me. 

• Like 13

16 hours ago, JanetAnne said:

To my mind the safest thing we could do to Breydon would be to double up on the posts that mark the channel. Not only would that stop a large number of the running aground problems it would also mean that anyone breaking down would have double the chance of getting a line round a post on their way past...

And, if I was in charge of patrolling I would maybe base my shifts around the tides rather than office hours. Why would we send a boat out mid afternoon to sit and wait when the mass exodus was at first light is beyond me. 

Simple, but just Brilliant, JanetAnne. Give that girl the biggest choccy bar you can buy, please!   :clap   :clap   :clap

• Like 2

On 27 December 2015 at 11:41 AM, marshman said:

RNLI don't self-launch, only on request of the coastguard - so regardless of their fondness for a shout, the RNLI do not decide if they are sent... 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, HemsbyPie said:

RNLI don't self-launch, only on request of the coastguard - so regardless of their fondness for a shout, the RNLI do not decide if they are sent... 

And the Coast Guard requests the most suitable rescue facility available, apparently not often the SOB!

26 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

And the Coast Guard requests the most suitable rescue facility available, apparently not often the SOB!

Don't know much about the SoB, but if they have the option of requesting a lifeboat or a patrol boat then it's obvious who they'll ask for if a boat is taking on water... Not even sure if the SoB is registered with the coasties as a rescue boat...?