sharpening chisels with paul sellers

jillR

Well, he got there in the end, didn't he? Doesn't he own an oil stone?

I don't know what he was spraying, but I always use 3 in one oil diluted with WD40, or paraffin. I am also not familiar with a convex bevel. The front face of a chisel has two distinct angles. The first shallow angle is done  on a grinding wheel - if you are repairing damage - and the more acute angle at the tip is worked on with an oil stone.

He would not have had a job for long at Hunters if Cyril had seen him leaving planes standing upright on the bench, instead of on their sides to protect the blade.

But we all have different ways of doing things......

• Like 3

I was taught to sharpen chisels at school 46 years ago (ouch), and woe betide you if the woodwork teacher found a plane sitting on its face, you were found not using or sharpening a chisel correctly, or walking around carrying a chisel incorrectly.  Because of him, I've never damaged a chisel (that I use as a chisel) badly enough to need to use a grinding wheel .

For those who don't know, you should carry a chisel (or other long sharp object) with it in the palm of your hand but with your longest two fingers straight along the blade to close to the tip.

SO,  if you fall flat on your face you tend to put your hand flat out, so you either drop the chisel or land with it flat under your palm and don't stab yourself or anyone else, and if you run into someone, your fingers will prevent the blade from stabbing them..

As for sharpening these days I tend to use a diamond sharpening plate rather than an oil stone,  it stays flat!! no curves worn into the stone.

• Like 1

We have all been there done that etc.

I tend to use water stones rather than oil stones, the chap was ok with the grades of paper for flattening the backs of the chisels but he should have used a guide for sharpening the grinding and cutting angles.

I am still using my Stanley chisels that I purchased over forty years ago and spend time sharpening them when required.

Regards

Alan

• Like 2

I haven't ever sharpened a chisel as im no wood worker

I much preferred the engineering side of boating and I could also manage the varnishing

and painting side until fairly late in my boat owning time.

many years ago I was taught by a pro how to sharpen my knives though and was told never

to use a circular motion as it upset the molecules in the metal and to always

sharpen in the same direction for the best results.

as the 1st video showed.

I think he said he was using window cleaner as a lubricant

If I look closely at the palm of my left hand, I can still almost see the imprint of a 1ft steel ruler, with the markings in white against a red background. The implement was wielded by my woodwork teacher. The crime: leaving a plane sitting on its sole on the workbench.

Knowing now, what is involved in keeping a plane sharp, I don't blame him.

cheers

Seve

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BroadScot said:

They don't stay sharp when used for mixing chocolate! :naughty:

cheersIain

It's not me!!! They are in charge of tools and equipment. It's my job to absorb varnish and look good, something I obviously do with ease :angel:

• Like 1