Changing a boat name

Bound2Please

7 hours ago, ChrisB said:

According to the Lobster fishermen of New England if just one virgin "pee's" in the bilge that is enough to ward off any problems with a name change. Not sure of the difference twix a USA one and a UK one.

I have heard of well kept Adnam's Broadside being described as akin to 'virgin's water' so perhaps a pint of Broadside would be far easier to locate.

1 hour ago, imtamping2 said:

Yep, that all looks perfectly reasonable to me, however, a couple of questions you all may be able to help me with.

The 'Ledger of the Deep'. Is there anywhere on the broads where such an item could be kept? :naughty::naughty:

When did Neptune develop this thirst for champers? Surely grog would have been the norm?

Would it be acceptable to perform our renaming on Salhouse? BA seem to be a bit too uptight and possessive over the salty Breydon these days to allow such a ceremony to take place?

How did Griff manage with Broad Ambition? She was up north....

The BA and Insurance go by the boats Reg Number not the name, so you can call your boat whatever you want, but it's always best to notify them of the name change, my boat gets renamed several times a year, anything from it's actual name Kali II to Bl***y boat, Heap of C**p and many others,

Frank,,,

• Like 4

Ah yes the renaming of 'Ivy Lady' (Formerly Star Supreme I, Superb Heart, Superb Gem)  to 'Broad Ambition' was carried out in our 'Boat Shed' up here in Blaxton just outside of Donny.  re-naming has to be done out of the water of course.   It was a simple affair really, after much research I did the following.    Removed all traces of any former name(s) onboard including under / behind bunks ./ furnishings etc.  Then in an anti-clockwise direction one has to walk round the boat seven times (7 being the number of seas the world has) 'B.A' is 40ft x 12ft so I reckon I walked (allowing for a gap) about 700ft, all the time speaking to your boat in a loud clear voice (Thinking it is not good apparently) explaining to her the reason for the name change and of course informing her of the new chosen name, during this conversation one must mention her former names, and her intended cruising area, and of course due deference to Neptune.  The more information you give her and the nicer you talk to her, then the better the outcome apparently.

On completion of the walk, at the bow area one then has to offer up some suitable libation on the bow of your boat (A little sip is allowed for yourself after all that talking).  One then reverently retires away from the boat leaving her for at least 12 x hrs on her own to accept and come to therms with the new name.  Only then can the new name be physically applied.  This ceremony can be carried anytime prior to re-launch there is no time limit applied

The above procedure actually was carried out to the letter by yours truly.  I have to say it has worked as we have since had very little if any bad luck onboard, even after Robin (Londonrascal) became an owner which is pretty impressive given his track record

Of course the name change is not fully complete until the re-launch when a traditional libation is broken on the bow during the proper recognised ceremony, in 'B.A's case 06th October 07 at John Williams boatyard, Stalham.

And there you have it, clear as river water eh? - depending if you are at Coltishall or Gt Yarmouth.

Griff

BA NBN 187.JPG

BA NBN 188.JPG

BA NBN 186.JPG

• Like 4

Here's some documents of Orca's renaming, which was completed by the commodore of our yacht club last feb. Just like BA we had about 50 people turn up and it was fun.  Obviously you could just remove names, put new stickers on.. tell your insurance and the BA etc but I feel better doing it "properly".. (Sadly it didn't quite help keep bad luck away but evenso still better to do).

Tradition:

http://www.hooness.org.uk/documents_for_download/RenamingTraditionHistory.pdf 

Schedule undertook:

http://www.hooness.org.uk/documents_for_download/OrcaSchedule.pdf

• Like 1

And another thing that I've just remembered, all this 'To-Do' re virgins  / boat re-naming etc.  Not required due to the lack of virgins available nowadays (I'd humbly settle for just 'Available')  Up here in Gods country we do still have some virgins as it happens, although whether they are available or not is open to debate.  Some un-educated folk have to been known to claim their given part of the country as 'Gods Country' Which is a load of tosh as they couldn't find 3 x wise men let alone any virgins!

Griff

• Like 3