Changing a boat name

Bound2Please

I have noticed a lot of boats on the broads under go a name change. Question if you change a boats name, does it then have to have a different registration number?..

We seriously thinking of getting a bigger boat (looked at a few already) what are the forumites views on name changing?

Charlie and Wench

PS also moving moorings to up north !!!!!

Edited by Charlie
to add a ps
  • Like 2

Someone asked this a few years back in another place, and I gave my ideas on the subject . . . 

"Now, what you must do is this. On a full moon, assemble the following : 7 virgins, 2 casks of strong ale, 1 black cat, and a stepladder to walk round. Invite all Forum members to attend, then tie the cat to the stepladder, walk in procession round the ladder 10 times, drink the ale, ravage the virgins, (you can call on the assembled Forum to assist), then chant the new boat name until dawn. You can then be assured of good luck for at least as long as it takes to get afloat, when everything will fall rapidly apart under you. In fact, dispense with all the above, and things will still fall apart under you, but what a night you'll have had!!" 

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, Gracie said:

Good luck with buying a bigger Boat, Charlie and Wench, what are you thinking of going for? Something with plenty of storage for wine, I hope. Knowing you two, you could name her 'Cook, Wine and Drinker' lol cheers

Grace

Bound to be one at either Felixstowe or Harwich, that will do the biz, eh Charlie?:naughty:

cheers Iain

19 minutes ago, Gracie said:

Good luck with buying a bigger Boat, Charlie and Wench, what are you thinking of going for? Something with plenty of storage for wine, I hope. Knowing you two, you could name her 'Cook, Wine and Drinker' lol cheers

Grace

Well was thinking of a seamaster or elysian probably spelt wrong lol) Some thing like that nothing to fancy just a tad bigger to hold all your wine darlin  grinssss

• Like 1

You might also need a priest - to bless the virgins of course!!:bow

We thought about changing the name of our boat when we got her, but couldn't agree on anything sensible (well I couldn't think of anything sensible to suggest) so we stuck with it. We have grown quite fond of it now.

I would think you can just tell the BA of the name change and keep the original number.

11 minutes ago, Gracie said:

"Just a tad bigger to hold all your wine darlin" ........You're gonna need a bigger Boat :naughty: Seriously though, nice choices there, Charlie, considering most of us on here are as nosy as hell, let us know how you get on

Grace :kiss

We had a look at a couple Sunday, but wernt really what we are looking for a seamaster that was ex Bernard Mathews named wishbone wasnt bad but again petrol, marinised 105E Anglia engine.  But going to look a 3 or 4 more tomorrow.

They need to be big enough to hold all this wine were gathering for yer darlin....... me n wench cant knock it all back I'll let yer know....

• Like 1

I think naming a boat can be a chance to be creative and unique – which is why when people name their boats things like ‘Escape’ or ‘Aquaholic’ I am rather confused.  Be original, and choose a name that fits your boat I say.

Then you’ve got the choice a location based theme ‘Broads Charm’ for example, or just keep it simple and generic with ‘Charm’. There are even websites which generate boat names for some inspiration, though be prepared for some odd ball ones that come out of the hat.

I like larger boats with a really presence to them, and I also like the ‘broadland’ theme to things like ‘Broads Commander’ or ‘Broadland Navigator’ spring to mind. But I think if I had a boat that was a larger sea going type then you can get creative with ‘Ocean Symphony’ or even go full bore cruise ship stylie ‘Lancelot of the Seas’.

In short, you can be as crazy as you want of simply Diligaf about the whole enterprise :?

35 minutes ago, Charlie said:

Thats why it still looks sad then, its an even bigger no no now then .. Thanks for letting me know that JM

Used to see her when we were out fishing. Cover all torn so obviously the rain got in, real waste because they are handy boats for the Broads. 

We changed our boat name from Fenland Voyager to Zimbi IV 'cos it's a sight easier to say and type!

Saying that our luck has changed, it hasn't gone wrong as often, now crossing everything after that challenging statement.

Mind it was out of the water and we had a bottle of good bubbly that night.

paul

• Like 2

According to the Lobster fishermen of New England if just one virgin "pee's" in the bilge that is enough to ward off any problems with a name change. Not sure of the difference twix a USA one and a UK one.