Southern Broads

Steve2604

There`s loads of them, where do you want us to start.  Seriously though if it`s pubs you`re after, i`m pretty sure Howard (Norfolk Nog) will point you in the right direction.

If i were you, and i was visiting for the first time, i WOULD`NT plan anything, just follow the rivers, and see what happens. If you plan on something using other ppeoples advice, you will more than likely have expectations, which may not turn out the way you expect them to. Just follow the rivers, and enjoy what you find.

• Like 2

Beccles and loddon well worth a visit. Try one of the wilder free moorings if you can get on one between Oulton and Beccles. 

Or moor on the dyke into rock land broad. It's only a short walk to the pub, but the solitude and remoteness is great. 

Where and what are you hiring?

• Like 1

Totally agree with Quo in regards to the Ferry at Surlingham, they do a cracking Sunday Roast, also the Ferry Inn at Reedham, both very warm and welcoming.

I don't really know that much about Southern pubs but I know a man who does, come on Howard, where are you?

Grace

p.s A very warm welcome aboard the Forum, Steve :wave Mark, I think he's probably hiring a Boat :naughty:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Baitrunner said:

Beccles and loddon well worth a visit. Try one of the wilder free moorings if you can get on one between Oulton and Beccles. 

Or moor on the dyke into rock land broad. It's only a short walk to the pub, but the solitude and remoteness is great. 

Where and what are you hiring?

Not until April. Actually hiring from Herbert Woods but want to spend a few days on southern boads.

17 hours ago, Gracie said:

come on Howard, where are you?

I’m here! Day out in York yesterday  :wasted:   so still recovering.

Agree with all comments made so far.

For me a trip to the Southern Broads would not be complete without a visit to the iconic Locks pub at Geldeston. Fantastic atmosphere, good grub and excellent beer (mainly from Grain these days). It does depend on time of course (to get down there) and ability (or otherwise) to get under Beccles old road bridge.

The Surlingham Ferry is excellent as already mentioned. The grub is not Egon Ronay but its home cooked and plentiful. Beer is good too including Humpty Dumpty Little Sharpie as a regular. Dog friendly too, probably one of the best ‘all round’ pubs if that makes sense.

For more up-market dining the Waters Edge is a good bet but pricier. The beer is OK but fairly pedestrian. Coldham Hall also is good for more ‘upper crust’ nosh. The beer is served on gravity but it’s extremely variable in my experience.

A pub which rarely gets a mention is the Ram at Brundall. Superb proper village pub. Good beer and I think they do Indian food or something similar which is available to take away too. Best to moor at Church Fen and go along the boardwalk there.

I’ve not been in the New Inn  at Rockland for a few months but again, friendly, good grub and excellent beer with Green Jack on offer.

Reedham Ferry is a good pub with usually some Humpty Dumpty beers on offer. Can’t comment on the food though. I think the chef has changed recently.

The Ship at Reedham is often overlooked but i think the beer is good (often a Humpty Dumpty on) and the food is basic but home cooked and very wholesome. I had an excellent serving of steak pie there a few weeks back.

Dukes Head at Somerleyton is good too, again food a bit more upmarket and beer is good with often a local beer on from Green Jack, St Peters etc.

Oulton Broad has several pubs ranging from the more basic but sensibly priced Waveney to the more upmarket Commodore. The Wherry Hotel offers a revered carvery. Beer is good but expensive. Often a Green Jack on here too.

A few to be going on with there. The Southern Broads are well worth visiting and tend to be quieter with mooring easier to find. Enjoy!

• Like 6

18 hours ago, Steve2604 said:

I will be visting the broads in a few months and know very little about the south. Im planning on a few days on the South but wondered if anyone can advise me on the best places to see and of course best pubs?

:welcome: Steve (I'm guessing you are a Steve ;) ) 

The south is amazing! It's more coastal and a typical east coast river feel, Very quiet and peaceful.. Lovely place.. Sadly I've moved up north this season ( :( ). You could spend weeks and weeks down there. I'm not too sure there's too much of a point for me to comment regarding pubs considering Howard (et al) has covered lots (He's the broads expert in pubs!) .

Although here goes, the best pubs on the broads are down south so you will be missing our big time if you don't go down. The Dukes head at Somerleyton is my favorite on the broads, it's got a charm and the food is amazing at a very good price and they do local beers. Other favorites are; Locks inn at Geldeston (See for yourself), The Waveney House Hotel Beccles Nice riverside bar.. Not bad food. Good spot, nice sunset, White Horse Chedgrave (Loddon).. Good all round, Reedcutters Cantley.. Very homely.. Massive portions (Don't have lunch that day!), New Inn Rockland. Good all round too. 

Have a good time. Let us know your thoughts after your trip! 

cheers 

• Like 7