And Now For Something Really Serious

addicted

5 minutes ago, SueH said:

So do I pure escapism, glitz and glamour.  Sue

There's nothing that compares,  I love to see the gradual improvement each of the entrants makes which is I think a testament to the genuine hard work they  put in. You can't compare X factor it's not in the same class.  It's a pity most of this years  celebs' are so obscure, it makes for better viewing when they are really familiar figures I think, but it's still great for all that, Some of the costumes are great, so exquisite and beautifully designed. There are not many programmes that have captured the public in this way. That says it all I think. they must be doing something right.

Carole

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Timbo said:

Not much of a recommendation. We also exported the Spice Girls, Piers Morgan and Rover Cars! :default_norty:

If only we could export things on a "no returns, no refunds" basis................

11 hours ago, webntweb said:

It's that bad that the BBC have only managed to export it to over 50 countries.

I bet Simon Cowell is gutted he doesn't have a finger in that particular pie! The man knows his trade and must realise that The X Factor is not in the same league.

Carole

For all that Match of the Day is a bit tired and jaded, I'd still rather watch the football. You see not having a TV I have to make the effort to go and watch television and I expect more from programming after I've made the effort than soporific dross. Having said that I am a Newcastle United supporter so I'm quite used to it after the last ten years! :default_norty:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Hi Ray,

I bet they do not get many footballers taking part with the stingy BBC it would be well under their pay grade.:default_norty:

Regards

Alan

I doubt they could fake injury either for an applause.

5 hours ago, webntweb said:

Some footballers would do quite well on Strictly the way they prance about the field.

I always  love it when the england team get knocked out of all the tournaments ( not that i watch the dross) bless 'em. Still, they can always go and buy a ferrari or two or to drown their sorrows. What was the stupid song ? 30 years of suffering or summat ?  

About 50 years plus now ha ha .

• 1 month later...

I managed to miss this topic ... until now!

Love Strictly Come Dancing ... and hubby is very obliging in letting me watch it every Saturday and Sunday. For me it's the combination of the music and the wonderful dresses and the music and the dancing and the music ... and did I mention the music?!

Tommy Blaize is the most amazing singer. I have one album of his and another one has just been released which I WILL be buying before New Year if Santa hasn't found it! The singers and musicians don't get anywhere near enough recognition. The show would not be the success it is without their live music every week.

As for Shirley Ballas ... I really like her. Darcy is the one that irritates me so I'm hoping that rumours that Shirley might leave aren't true.

As for last night ... Yes I can't deny that Debbie and Giovanni's dance was probably the best one of the night. But I'm not a fan of the themed nights and given that it was the quarter final with the final six dancers I thought that the standard was lower than on many other weeks. I voted for Gemma and Alijaz because I really want to see Alijaz reach the final. But it will be very interesting to see who goes out tonight.

• Like 1

I must admit that I used to be very dismissive about Strictly...to my shame as I hadn't really watched it (I instinctively dislike stuff that's hyped up).  I am now eating my words though, as I've got hooked on it  I still think it's over hyped, but it's great to see a show that takes people on a journey of discovering new skills and demands a lot of them in terms of learning.  I also love the costumes and (most of) the music.  At least it demands something of the contestants. 

Helen

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I haven't contemplated going to the live shows because I wasn't sure how much one would see if seated near the back of a large arena such as the O2. But it's hard to beat live events. Sounds like a great night out. We're going to see The Overtones soon which I am looking forward to.