Wot No Christmas ?

Snowy

I feel I should point out that my original post was not racist in any way, it was purely intended to start a chat, it appears to have been taken wrong, this is because we all have views on what is racism and when the line is crossed.

I feel the word racism is used far to often these days for things that are clearly anything but

if I have offended anyone, I apologise 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

As far as I can see Snowy, no apology is necessary. I have just re-read this entire thread and have found no racist comment, and no religious reference apart from the obvious one that Christmas is a Christian festival.

There is a massive difference between discussing religion (as an entity) and religious discussions (where the religions themselves are debated) and although both are best avoided where possible, the former can be done as long as other peoples views are respected. The latter is a minefield and against the TOS of most forums, this one included I believe. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

54 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

As far as I can see Snowy, no apology is necessary. I have just re-read this entire thread and have found no racist comment, and no religious reference apart from the obvious one that Christmas is a Christian festival.

There is a massive difference between discussing religion (as an entity) and religious discussions (where the religions themselves are debated) and although both are best avoided where possible, the former can be done as long as other peoples views are respected. The latter is a minefield and against the TOS of most forums, this one included I believe. 

You are quite correct, John, on two accounts:

Racism, Sexism, Ageism, Political and Religious Intolerance 

The NBN's public discussion forum is open-access and is read and used by many thousands of visitors of all ages, nationalities and backgrounds. As such, intolerance of other people's politicsreligious beliefs, culture, IQ, gender, physical or sensory impairments or age is unacceptable.

Zero Tolerance 

The NBN has a policy of Zero Tolerance for certain user behaviour. This includes but is not restricted to

postings that display intolerance of other people's religious beliefs, culture, IQ, gender, physical or sensory impairments or age.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

There is a massive difference between discussing religion (as an entity) and religious discussions (where the religions themselves are debated)

Thank you for that John, and indeed my post was to try to show that the marketing of an ancient Yuletide legend about the giving of gifts to children, need not be attached to any Church.

I am reminded of the last verse of the carol "While shepherds washed their socks by night, all seated round the tub", and I find that I still know it by heart :

All glory be to God on high and to the Earth be peace.

Goodwill henceforth from Heaven to men : begin and never cease.

That's the Christmas spirit, for me!

• Like 5

Never understood why Christmas goods like chocolate etc didn't have just a slip sleeve or peel able sticker that could be removed and the goods remain on the shelf until their sell by date!

We use to do our Christmas shopping by boat. A nice slow pootle upto Norwich and then moor at The Ferryboat ph. A walk up King st into town, shop and back to the pub for food and the odd beer. Relatively stress free.

Bought some nice mince pies in Aldi's a couple of days ago only to find the sell by date was the 15 Dec. So I had to eat them:default_biggrin:

Colin:default_winko:

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Islander said:

Never understood why Christmas goods like chocolate etc didn't have just a slip sleeve or peel able sticker that could be removed and the goods remain on the shelf until their sell by date!

We use to do our Christmas shopping by boat. A nice slow pootle upto Norwich and then moor at The Ferryboat ph. A walk up King st into town, shop and back to the pub for food and the odd beer. Relatively stress free.

Bought some nice mince pies in Aldi's a couple of days ago only to find the sell by date was the 15 Dec. So I had to eat them:default_biggrin:

Colin:default_winko:

I think I remember removable sleeves being used way back in time, certainly for chocolate and biscuits. People are probably too canny these days for retailers to get away with it. I have noticed how early Christmas food gets onto the shelves these days and much of it has to be used by the middle of December. There comes a time when turkeys or hams have the use by date of 25 December, that’s when you know it’s almost upon us. :default_xmas6:

On 2 November 2017 at 21:20, donnygeoff said:

NNNNNNNOOOOOOOO.........

Poor old Father Christmas, he only works one day a year, he really looks forward to it, if he is sacked (pun intended) how will he pass his free time, and don't forget, if he is sacked, the elves and reindeer will loose their jobs too. Even the coca cola lorry is being banned from Liverpool, because of the PC brigade blaming it for the obese kids.....

BahHumbug.gif

It's not that the Coca Cola wagon is banned from Liverpool , they're just refusing to pay the £8:00 toll for crossing the new Runcorn bridge :)

• Haha 2

Can I just ask you all a huge favour? Those of you who are planning to put Christmas lights outside your property's, please can you avoid anything blue and flashing?

Every time I drive past, I think it's the police and have a mild panic attack. I have to remove my foot from the accelerator, slam on the brakes, put my seat belt on, throw my phone on the floor, hide my bottle of Rum, swallow my joint, and shove the gun under the seat. It's a major drama, and proper awkward when I'm on my mighty Tiger.   I really appreciate your cooperation and understanding........Thanks

Griff
  • Like 2
  • Haha 15