Ah yes, the how long is a piece of string question!

The real issue is that because we all do the job differently we all get quite varying results from the same product.

2 pack varnish is harder when cured which would suggest it's more suited to your application but it lacks flexibility and can crack away especially if the wood underneath is not prepared correctly. We have, for example, had excellent results from Screwfix no nonsense varnish and then been unhappy with the results from Brava, a much higher priced product.

Our current varnish of choice is solvent based Epifanes though it's drying time is a bit slow at times. 

Funny thing is the man who supplies the Epifanes swears by sanding between each coat using finer and finer grade papers to get the perfect finish whereas a proper time served boat builder I know never sands using anything less than 240 grit. He says the varnish needs something to grip to and gets results to die for. 

So, having been absolutely no help to you at all, good luck with your wheel.

• Like 4

I once asked the same question, and got a different answer from each person I asked. I am varnishing BG's wheel just now with 50/50 International varnish and white spirit for the first coat, then a light sand, clean with white spirit and then two coats of International varnish. Of course, I am doing it wrong according to 99% of people asked. It seems everyone has a different method, so I am no help either. 

It might be of interest to go on YouTube and watch lots of American dudes varnishing - might not be informative but it is amusing. 

22 minutes ago, Wildfuzz said:

Danish Oil, bootiful.

Not if it’s been applied with a yard brush   At some point you will have to go back to bear wood and it’s a right pigs ear to remove. 

I use Ravalak thinned with turps for the first 6 coats then flat back with 240 then Brava with the last coat thinned seems to last quite well. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, brundallNavy said:

Not if it’s been applied with a yard brush   At some point you will have to go back to bear wood and it’s a right pigs ear to remove. 

I use Ravalak thinned with turps for the first 6 coats then flat back with 240 then Brava with the last coat thinned seems to last quite well.

Totally agree!

A decent finish in traditional varnish will usually need 7 coats and will take two weeks, to allow for all the drying time.

It's all a question of personal satisfaction!

Thanks for the suggestions. When I first got "Glenmore" I was a convert to Danish oil and suggested such to Brooms who seemed to instantly develop cardiac problems!

They were not keen at all, I was newish to lots of mahogany and she ended up with many coats of varnish!

I used Danish oil on my Drascombe, very easy to use, applied 16 coats in no time! Looked great for three years, got rubbed down annually and recoated, thought that I had found the answer but then it all went sour. For no apparent reason whatsoever the weather suddenly got under it and it started to lift in places and look awful. It was the son of unmarried parents to get off, never again! Back to varnish! 

• Haha 1

I only used it on the cockpit drop sides. Thy were in a reasonable state but needed new wood to be let in on some ares.

I wood like to have replaced the plywood panels but that required taking the whole thing apart. If we had done that we would have ended up making new sides I think . Anyway back to the oil , it is still on there although last year was showing signs of needing some TLC. Ultimately new sides will be the order of the da\y but when who knows.  

DSCN7657.JPG

DSCN7229 (1).JPG

• Like 2