Some Good News At Last - For Us Anyway

LadyPatricia

8 hours ago, LondonRascal said:

Now I know this is going to sound like I am extolling the virtues of making a boat some kind of Boudoir - though a red light can be handy for night navigation ;)

:facepalm:

Lol

Yes you are right Robin, there are lots of alternatives to be had, some quite cheaply as well. Any boat using foam backed linings does need to be watertight though. Very watertight. A leaky window will soon have your  foam lining wet and sagging and because the surface is sealed with leatherette it can be a nightmare to get dry again. Carpet is far more forgiving, especially on boats left for long periods.

• Like 1

Steve! when I did my ceilings they all had that foam back vinyl stuck directly to the GRP, luckily it the foam had all disintigrated and was full of black mould, I just wire brushed it all off and stuck my batons up with Tec7 it's not the cheapest but you can find it for around £10.00 a tube,  B&Q now do it, Tec 7, if your doing you curtain batons don't forget to use a spring batons between the two sides to hold them in place while it sets, it dosn't slip normaly but if it does you will have a hell of a job removing it to re-position it once it dries, as you know all my ceilings are 6mm varnished ply so there's a bit of weight in them,  If I can make a suggestion! if your doing the cabin roof as well, baton it and do it in removable panels, and use a varnished baton or something to hide the joins, that way you can hide any cables and stuff under them, it's a bit of messing about but if you just carpet over cables you'll have to remove and replace the carpet if you need to replace a broken cable, my way you just remove a panel change or add a cable job done,, I'm surprised Chris didn't mention doing it when you saw him, I talked him into doing it on his boat and now he loved it, it's like spaghetti junction uder his panels with all the bits he added,,,

Frank,,,,

• Like 1

Frank, this job is just for the curtain rails, I made new ceiling panels last season. They have been removed so I could remove the old carpet and will be going back up once done.

i will get some tec 7 and look in to spring battens as you suggest :D

cheers

Steve

Hi Steve,

Have a look at these dry lining support props, these are handy for all sorts of jobs:-

https://drywalltoolsdirect.co.uk/tyzack-support-prop.html

Alternatively if you cut two or three lengths of lath, say  44 x 12 mm or thinner if you can get it so it can be bent slightly.

Position you curtain rail timbers and then have two pieces of plywood (or thin MDF), these will be used to wedge the above laths that need to be cut slightly longer than the gap between the curtain rail timbers and the two pieces of scrap wood. The bend in these laths (effectively props) should support your curtain rail timbers until the  tec 7 has set.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

Alan! Thanks for explaining that to Steve, Steve I forgot you had already made the panels, it was that somewhere above someone mentioned the ceilings and I got distracted, you saw my curtains! they are lined and quite heavy  all that hold my batons on is a good spead of Tec 7 just make sure you leave it a few days to fully cure,

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

White smoke on diesels is commonly (But not definitive)  one of two issues - Fuel starvation or water getting into the exhaust manifold, I doubt its the second one as the river cooling will mask this, but better check your heat exchanger levels all the same

Griff

It a Volvo Penter MD11c Griff, raw water cooled 2 cylinder engine. Been reading up and white smoke 'could be' unburnt diesel particles apparently. Water from exhaust is warm but not hot. It doesn't smoke too badly when idling but does when under load which is why I think it could be fuel related. 

Hoping someone in the know will come up with a possible answer :D

cheers

Steve

Hi Steve we had experience of this with one of our past boats (falcon 27 cabriole 1994) with a Volvo MD 22 engine., with relatively low hours (600)

White smoke, small amount when warm and worst when more revs or cold weather.

I was told from a very experienced engine guy beginning with J it goes with the engine as this type was originally fitted to Oyster yachts and they had the same trouble from new!

John 

2 hours ago, LadyPatricia said:

Thanks John, at least people will know when we are turning up, just look for the smoke signals :facepalm:

cheers

Steve

In that case Steve, rename her.... Apache :naughty:    Seriously, I hope you can resolve the problem pdq.

cheersIain

• Like 3

Mmmmmm.....Volvo MD11C, unfortunately not my favourite engine!!

It is a very different engine to the MD22, and also very different design. It is however quite common for ALL Volvos to smoke in some way!! Lol

Personally a few more checks will need to be done however white smoke can be 'water' or 'unburnt diesel' -  You should be able to tell the difference with the smell or maybe a oily residue left on the river via the exhaust.

Its the direct cooled one, so water can only be via the raw water system. So a quick check can be to run it without the water on etc, remove impeller etc and only run for a short test......

Or just wait and see how it performs over time and don't worry for a while....It could have been like this for a while....

Good luck anyway! 

Regards J 

• Like 3

Also an engine with a cracked cylinder head can also give you the white smoke, its not technically good for the engine to be like this but sometimes they will still run forever before its a serious problem. 

Most of the yards have the gear to test for these various faults.

Good luck again !! 

Thanks for the info J.

we've just replaced both cylinder jackets as they were cracked but the heads were inspected and looked fine when it was apart. One piston ring was a bit 'sticky' (the centre one) on both cylinders but we felt it would release once the engine ran at temp for a few hours. I have since read that the rings could cause white smoke with low compression and therefore unburnt fuel.

anyway as suggested I think we will just use and see what happens 

cheers

Steve

• 1 month later...

Been a while since we updated our progress so here's a few pics 

the inside is just about finished, only a few small jobs left to do. Engine will be run as is and see how she goes. Oh, and she has just passed her BSC so not got that to worry about for a few years. 

Still not sure if we are selling or keeping her yet, other factors have to be weighed up but we are very happy how the inside has turned out.

here is a comparison photo. Many thanks to Chris, Frank (Mowjo), son in law who did a great job on the carpet fitting for us :clap

cheers

Steve

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 7