A New Me

Thought I'd share another bit of news with you lovely people.

The only way it is related to the broads is it may save me a few £££'s on diesel this season :razz:

At the end of January I decided enough was enough and I had to do something about my weight. Being diabetic and on blood pressure tablets at 46 and having aches and pains was getting me down. 

As a couple, Deb and I decided to join slimming world and we attended our first meeting on 28th January. 2 and a 1/2 months later my blood pressure pills have been dropped from 3 different pills per day to just 1 and after my annual diabetic check yesterday my sugars over the last 3 months and my cholesterol are the lowest they have been in the 3yrs since I was diagnosed.

in those 2 and a 1/2 months I have lost 2 stone and the physical changes can been seen as well. This is probably of no significance to most but I just wanted to share with you guys n gals. I feel so much better in myself and if any of you are thinking of losing a couple of pounds I can highly recommend slimming world. I've never eaten so much but the secret is eating the right things :D

The picture shows me at Christmas and as I am now.

cheers

Steve

image.jpeg

• Like 14

The SWMBO and I have joined a gym together, whilst I used to go regularly a few years ago I have somewhat succumb to middle age........ First session together last night (at the gym before someone says anything) and today I can hardly walk, back shoulders and legs killing me........ but everyone tells me its good for me. :shocked

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Wildfuzz said:

The SWMBO and I have joined a gym together, whilst I used to go regularly a few years ago I have somewhat succumb to middle age........ First session together last night (at the gym before someone says anything) and today I can hardly walk, back shoulders and legs killing me........ but everyone tells me its good for me. :shocked

and so is a good drink Stuart cheers

• Like 3

1 minute ago, w-album said:

Ps having my lunch at work stuffing my face with biscuits

I blame work, once you are retired like me :angel: you will be as thin as a rake, gardening !:D

Seriously, well done all, I wish I could still walk round a golf course etc. 

cheersiain

Thanks all, poppy you can eat as much bacon as you like as long as you cut the fat off. 

Grace I think a few jars here and there will be ok, I'll just have to save my weekly syn allowance for the night of beer, especially if Jaws is about. It's Deb he leads astray not me.

will def be out a bit more this year Charlie, hope to catch up with you, maybe at one of the meets cheersbar

Iain, I used to play a bit of golf when my Dad, God bless him, was alive. Got down to playing off 12 but packed in when he passed away. We used to play every week and the enjoyment just went when he wasn't next to me on the tee.

Stuart, I've not upped my exercise yet, I still do none :razz:, but that will happen when the weight loss stops or slows down through diet alone. Not sure I've the confidence to join a gym but time will tell

cheers

Steve

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, LadyPatricia said:

Iain, I used to play a bit of golf when my Dad, God bless him, was alive. Got down to playing off 12

Handy handicap Steve, living where I am, we are spoiled rotten, for very good courses. I managed to get down to 4 handicap, but once I became heavily involved in committee work, my handicap shot up. When I was forced to retire from the game I was up to 11. One part of the UK where you are, I never graced a fairway. Gorleston G.C. my furthest down that side, I played.

cheersIain

• Like 1

What about just walking and swimming. I know time is part of the problem but I walk to work twice a week 1 mile each way and a steep hill home. Also swim once or twice a week 40 lengths each time. I still indulge in several tipples....but the weight is still going down. Note I am just 5 feet tall and lost over 2 stone!!!!

Well done - I can't reiterate the health benefits from this effort

• Like 2

Bacon is my downfall too.  We have now changed to bacon medallions - the difference under the grill rack is enormous.  Just a few drops of water, no fat at all.  

Entering food on the free app 'My Fitness Pal' is quote sobering and enlightening at the same time!

Finally getting used to platefuls of mixed salad with balsamic vinegar and no olive oil.

Porridge for breakfast actually gets me through to lunchtime's soup (no bread).  

I abandoned the gym a year ago as I kept paying the monthly fee and never went.  The money from the gym subs went on a fully equipped gym in the garage, which I actually use instead of having to drive into Norwich every time.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well done, it does get harder but worth the effort and occasional torture. The best is buying smaller clothes sizes. The problem I have is that some people don't like to comment as they worry I have lost weight because  I am 'ill' :(