Richardsons RC45 and RC35

the filling and sanding is a bit of a chore but the next two or three weeks of sanding through the grades compounding through the grades then five coats of wax will no doubt drag on a bit :yawn:

the scaffolding is clever stuff, it has wheels on end so the sections can be moved to get to the lower parts of the hull, I got it from Aquafibre with 80% of the other kit in the shed, the guys there really sorted me out :)

we made them just under 3 inches wide so that when the hull is laid up we can slot in a piece of 2 inch foam in, they are 3 inches deep, the foam will stick up about 1 inch and will be bonded over making a solid box which will also support the floor, there will be bonded floor bearers close to the keel too, so with them and fiberglass transverse bearers the hull will be really stiff and have no wood under there to rot.

The main reason was because we want this boat with a centre cockpit to pass under Potter bridge we could not afford to loose 3 inces headroom but it looks as if we still have just over 6 foot inside (we think)

Hi Clive

What is the idea behind having the bow section deeper than the aft section?

if you mean the sheer then it is to look nice :grin:

If you mean the draft then that is to get headroom foreward where the cabin top is lower The aft section floats close to the surface so as not to produce too much wash (like the old wooden boats) we just hope that it works :lol:

[if you mean the draft then that is to get headroom foreward where the cabin top is lower The aft section floats close to the surface so as not to produce too much wash (like the old wooden boats) we just hope that it works :lol:

Oh I see. That's a novel idea! So basically the bow area will displace more than the aft. I suppose that is dependant on having more weight in that area though, otherwise it'll wheelie :lol:

Hi Mark,

We will hope no one tries to wheelie either of them :grin:

here are the pictures of todays efforts, dispite a few teething problems we eventually found enough compressed air to feed the two spray guns and three air masks and completed the job in the allocated time!

post-503-136713618916_thumb.jpg

post-503-136713618939_thumb.jpg

post-503-136713619213_thumb.jpg

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Hi all, I`ve always been interrested in boatbuilding, ever since i was involved with the fitting out of two ocean going yachts from the age of 10 would you believe. The first was an Ohlson 38, the same make Clare Francis did the Ostar in and winning the womens class (Robertsons Golly). The second being a Bowman Corsair 44, now part of a sail training group, who also charter her for various things, from offshore racing to corperate events. Her name is Black Diamond if anybody wants to google it. Ever since those days, i`ve be facinated with boat building, but never got involved as a living. That`s why i`ve found this thread, and the threads in the restoration section so facinating. I hope you`re going to keep us all up to date Clive, and also if you decide to design other boats. Also, would you ever consider supplying moulding sets to other yards or home builders, or even build finished boats for private customers?. Who knows, Richardson`s could be the new Aquafibre. Regards to all.......... Neil.

Thats 3 or 4 coats, you can see where it has soaked into the wood and wher the filler is, it is a polyester type paint which is catalysed so will all go hard the same.

There is a modification to make on the keel to give the option of fitting a hydraulic pod which was a bit of a oversight :oops: but it is better to deal with t now.

As has been said already, three air masks so that meant there was a spare body who was putting bits together on BV12 :):dance ready for march (I hope) :party:

Neil,

I dont think we are the next Aquafibre as we are only building for our own fleet and private sales, as yet there is no plan to sell mouldings to other hirefleets or builders so we can keep tabs on build quality,, there are moulders who sell to 3rd parties so we will let them carry on.

However, we will happily do plug work for whoever needs it as I dont think there is anyone in that market in Norfolk at the moment. (for the big stuff anyway)

Neil,

I dont think we are the next Aquafibre as we are only building for our own fleet and private sales, as yet there is no plan to sell mouldings to other hirefleets or builders so we can keep tabs on build quality,, there are moulders who sell to 3rd parties so we will let them carry on.

Hi Clive

i suppose that works out a lot better for Richardson's as if you only build them for your self & private customers then people who want to hire these stunner's have to flock to Richo's so work out better for your team.

Jonny ice sliceice sliceice slice

Len is currently fitting out a large "transit" in his Horning shed - I think thats 42' or so which of course is the smaller one with bits added. But it is good to see that individual builders are putting new designs on the water, almost as a matter of necessity. It will please Dan no end!!!!

It is great to see the skills are not being lost to Broadland so keep it up!!!!!

Hi Marshman,

I am glad Len is seeing it as necessity to keep me happy, though I wish he'd asked me about the styling, as I am not totally enamoured! However, I am quite looking forward to seeing the new, longest versions as I think at that length they may look better, and more 'right' (only my opinion of course), and I have got used to them more as time has gone on - much the case with anything new or radical I guess.

It is good to see some new designs coming in, long may it continue, and must admit that Silver Emblem was a very comfortable craft, with a nice fitout.

Dan

• 2 weeks later...