Richardsons RC45 and RC35

Yep, there has been progress :grin:

we had a fourth member of the team start on Monday so that is good news as all four have great experience of pattern making / plugmaking.

I did have some pictures in the middle of the week but did not post them, theese are much better.

As you can see the skin is going on the hull bottom, it is screwed and glued but the screws will be taken out and the holes filled, this is so that the screws do not leave dimples in the mould.

The transom is on and the corners are being formed which is looking good as it really brings shape to the aft end. the straps you see are just holding the layers of wood in place and will be removed before filling and spraying, also you can see that sometimes washers are used, this is where the screws are really pulling shape into the skin, they are used so that the screws do not pull into the wood making indents all these get removed and filled as the glue will do its job.

At the front the stringers have been just about finished, a keel former has been fitted and the skin has started to go on the keel (I will photo that next week)post-503-136713602108_thumb.jpg

post-503-136713602067_thumb.jpg

post-503-136713602441_thumb.jpg

post-503-136713602416_thumb.jpg

Hi Clive

wow you lads dont hang around do they looking at the plug for the hull if thats anything to go by its looks sweet.

can i have the first test run :lol::lol::lol:

will you be putting any for of green on the boat like solar charger or anything as yards are knocking out new build but on the eco front not very much happening???

whats your take on that??

Jonny ice sliceice sliceice slice

cheers for the update Clive, was just wondering how progress was going.

It's certainly progressing well. The front is indeed now looking a more useful shape! :grin:

Cant wait to see the finished article... I take it Team Richardson are working 24/7?? :naughty:

Dan

Hi Jonny,

with regard to the Eco stance, we are doing the following..

The hull has been designed to be as low wash as possible as from the middle/belly part of the hull it then lifts towards the transom and levells off so it is just in the water, this has been proven to produce a low wash hull.

The engine will be mounted in the back of the boat and we have the keel extended as far towards it as possible, this will mean that with the use of a hydraulic pod motor the hydraulic pipes will be shorter resulting in less loss of power.

We will have areas on the cabin roof where we will be able to put 'plants' in the mould to inset solar pannels so that they will not interfere with the sliding roof or stick up like an afterthought.

we will be able to have provision for grey water recycling/storage but this is not always appreciated by the hirer when flushing the toilets with dishwater :)

and a few other bits and bobs which we may or may not use.

Dan,

Some of us are doing 25/7 :)

Brian,

When the fiberglass mould tool has been taken off this work of art will be burnt :o:o (( or taken home and used as a shed or den for the kids :teddy: )

"When the fiberglass mould tool has been taken off this work of art will be burnt (( or taken home and used as a shed or den for the kids )Clive"

Don't trouble yourself with that Clive! Just give it to me and I will see it gets err...................burnt :grin:

We will have areas on the cabin roof where we will be able to put 'plants' in the mould to inset solar pannels so that they will not interfere with the sliding roof or stick up like an afterthought.

Won't they be very vulnerable though Clive, as many of your boat invariably seem to have people standing on the roof in pirate hats shouting "Aaaargh!" at passing traffic :lol::lol:

Excellent photo blog though, I share the fascianation of seeing the stages a boat has to go through to be created. :clap

yes Barry, it even goes as far as the shine we acheive on this plug will affect the finish on the hulls we turn out, I would not say it is set in stone but something just as hard :)

The fitting out is easier but only after the first one as it is much easier when you have the patterns to copy for the second one, as to what worktops, flooring or upholstry is purely down to taste, as are what gizmos you want aboard.

Brian,

When the fiberglass mould tool has been taken off this work of art will be burnt :o :o (( or taken home and used as a shed or den for the kids :teddy: )

Hi Clive

a little marine ply a mas oar a bed sheet rudder you have your own dinghy or cut it in half & make a huge bed out of it i would :lol::lol:

Jonny ice sliceice sliceice slice

Won't they be very vulnerable though Clive, as many of your boat invariably seem to have people standing on the roof in pirate hats shouting "Aaaargh!" at passing traffic

I'm sure I've seen solar panels that can take the weight of a person, not sure about a pirates peg leg though :pirate

I would be happy to test it, but you might need a bosuns chair to get me up there :naughty:

Barry, was that you in the video? I am sure we could get you up there somehow :naughty:

obviously we are still a little way off that stage but would appreciate the offer when we get there :lol:

I guess it woud be difficult Clive but on the back of a few threads that have popped up on here lately I was wondering whether you had given any thought to getting a MOB back on board?

Great thread, realy interesting to see how a boat comes together.

Will you be offering these to the private market as well, like alpha did with its new moulds?

Ian

I guess it woud be difficult Clive but on the back of a few threads that have popped up on here lately I was wondering whether you had given any thought to getting a MOB back on board?

Great thread, realy interesting to see how a boat comes together.

Will you be offering these to the private market as well, like alpha did with its new moulds?

Ian

sorry Ian, What is a MOB?

for now we will be keeping the mouldings for hire in only our fleets but will gladly build for private with whatever finishes or layout people want. We probably wont release hulls for 3rd party builds so we can keep tabs on quality and costs down.

Glad you are finding the thread interesting