Emergency Contact Numbers

Baitrunner

This may have been done before, but I was just thinking I ought to have a list of numbers on the boat for emergencies. I am talking about a private boat here, but guess other than the boatyard number if your hiring, you might need these as well.

I have breakdown cover that will help me out, but I was thinking who would I call  - if for instance - I had an engine failure on Breydon and was drifting? The BA or Coastguard?

Obviously the BA can only be contacted 9-5 Mon-Fri (I assume) and what is the best number in the hope they could get the SoB to help me? Is it Broads control on 01603 756056?

Is the best number for the coastguard 999 or is there a more direct number?

Medical emergencies and more serious life or death incidents etc would obviously be 999 and they could advise.

I guess I had never really thought about this as never had cause to need them - but the more your out and about, I guess the more chance you might need help! 

Has anyone put together a handy list of emergency contact numbers?

There is also the VHF, but wonder if the BA monitor CH16 or would be close enough to pick a transmission up?

• Like 1

If its during the day, just call BA control but in any case chuck your mudweight over nearer the edge and it will stop a lot of your drifting - two down if you have another.  I personally think you only call the Coastguard if you are in any danger or life is at risk.

You could call GYYS or just hang on and hail a passing boat - is the tow boat still around at Berney or you could even call Goodchilds, they are not far away.

I think these are adequate precautions - I think too much is made of the dangers of Breydon. All those numbers are in the Green Book and all private owners should be members of the NSBA for the tiny amount it costs. How on earth did people manage years ago without mobiles - my father used to cross in a 16' converted lifeboat powered by a 2hp British Anzani on a regular basis and survived to tell the tale.

• Like 4

Broads Control operates from 9.00am to 6.00pm, 7 days a week, during the summer season (roughly Easter to the end of October) and GYYS are able to take calls and contact a BA duty manager and standby staff until 8.00pm.  After that a call to the coastguard could be made, and they have the facility to page the BA duty manager/standby staff.

The BA do not operate an emergency service, but they will offer support to the emergency services, based on expert knowledge of the local area (for example they might be able to suggest to somebody like the Hemsby Lifeboat the closest place to an emergency that they might be able to get their vessel to by trailer and launch from).

• Like 1

In an emergency (Iminent danger to life or property) it's always 999 and ask for Coast Guard. They have fairly substantial knowledge of the broads and have the ability to deploy the quickest / most appropriate assets. 

Boaty people seem to be fairly resilient though and nearly always help each other out, I often think that if drivers were the same you'd see a lot fewer people stranded in the motorway!

• Like 3

I was thinking if there was no imminent danger to life, but these things can get out of control very quickly so it was more a case of a bit of help now rather than a full blown rescue attempt.

I did think part of the remit for the SoB was to assist boats in trouble on Breydon?

I know I keep using this as an example, but drifting towards Reedham or Somerleyton bridge or worse the GY bridges where a little help sooner would be very much appreciated!!

No - SoB is a patrol boat like any other BA patrol boat which is more suited to the estuary like conditions that you can face on Breydon occasionally - it has , and does often patrol for a greater length of time away from facilities ( like bushes!! ) and with a number of the aux rangers often of a different gender, the on board facilities are a help - like teapots!!

Please don't turn this into yet another thread as to the suitability of SoB !!!!!!!!

• Like 2

SOB do use vhf as I heard them calling in to humber CG last week on 16 when Blue Horizon was stuck on the mud on breydon, it was about 3.40pm at low water and the message was that all on board the stricken craft appeared fine, the tow crews were notified, and they were going off duty.

It was low water busy time mid afternoon and they were going OFF DUTY knowing a boat was aground on the mud FFS!

In the last few weeks I have been past goodchilds a lot and moored at burgh castle lots and most of the time it's safely tied up with no-one near it.it is perfectly suited to it's job as it has good mooring cleats.

Wildfuzz thanks for the 999 tip I always assumed no signal meant just that, hopefully will never have to try it though.

A note for setting up ICE ( In Case of Emergency) numbers on your mobile,

I have this set up on Sony Z3 so you either touch the power button or double tap the screen and on the lock screen there's a ICE button, press this and it give you your ICE numbers which you can ring without unlocking the handset.

Last month on the android update this stopped work and you have to enable it in settings again.

IF there's any iSheep sorry iPhone users could you help and list how it works on your phones please.

18 hours ago, LeoMagill said:

SOB do use vhf as I heard them calling in to humber CG last week on 16 when Blue Horizon was stuck on the mud on breydon, it was about 3.40pm at low water and the message was that all on board the stricken craft appeared fine, the tow crews were notified, and they were going off duty.

It was low water busy time mid afternoon and they were going OFF DUTY knowing a boat was aground on the mud FFS!

My understanding is that a key part of SOBs role is to patrol Breydon at 'high', not 'low' water (they call it 'covering the tide').  The aim is to turn back boats heading from the south towards the Bure with no hope of getting under the Bure bridges.  I believe this is part of an agreement with the Hire Boat Federation, who are actually not too concerned about their boats running aground on the mud at low water, as minimal damage is caused by that, and the boats will refloat when the tide comes in, but are very concerned about superstructure being ripped off against solid bridges.  

In that case, the message you heard was entirely appropriate - having established that there was no immediate threat to life or limb, and the appropriate rescue services having been informed - the rangers moved on. SOB is NOT a rescue boat (and the BA do not provide a rescue service) it is just an ordinary ranger patrol boat, but better able to manage the sometimes difficult conditions on Breydon better than the white launches.

If the hireboat companies are so worried about their boats clouting the underside of Yarmouth's bridges then perhaps they shouldn't build them so blessed high. Building boats to fit isn't such a silly idea! Perhaps banging home the mantra that passing through Yarmouth at low water is best wouldn't go amiss either.

• Like 2