Happy Yorkshire Day !

BroadScot

Among the dozens of other Yorkshire Day events, York Maze hosted an annual Yorkshire pudding tossing competition.

Organisers said the winning throw at 2015's event was a distance of 34m (112ft).

That's some achievement. I always said the biggest t*55ers came from Yorkshire. :hardhat:

OK, I'm behind the sofa!

I'm not taking the bait against us, you'll come round to our ways shortly.

We haven't done bad today our Yorkshire dales/national park lol has grown again today slowly creeping round the rear of the pennines.

Before our children came along we spent two weeks on the Yorkshire Ouse, I understand why it's called God's County, it's beautiful. We hired a bit of an old wreck of a boat (loved it just the same) we had never done locks before, can't quite remember where but we moored up at our first lock and sat at the pub for about three hours watching boats come and go and to see how it was done, we were so nervous, after chatting to some lovely Yorkshire folk who told us it was a piece of cake and after quite a few drinks and feeling very brave, we went through our first lock with people watching at the pub, I was terrified but we made it, I had arms like a body builder when we finished that holiday with all the turning of the lock key lol

I am not so keen on doing the locks but would go back in a heartbeat, the people and scenery were smashing

Grace

p.s Archie is sooo cute :love

• Like 2

The beer aint bad there either Grace ! cheersbar Ruth and I had our honeymoon in Yorkshire, and have returned many times both for short breaks and longer holidays. The North York Moors Railway is a must do if there. Or for me, driving around the moors ending up at Whitby. Goathland, Aidensfield to those who followed Heartbeat, is worth a look, but would recommend out of season!

The folk are very friendly there.

cheersIain

• Like 3

Yes it is upside down,  although I have heard it said that they are rotated dependant on which riding they are from / flown in, whether this is correct or not I have no idea.  Correct way or incorrect - A Yorkshire Rose they still are of course

Whilst we are here, I recently commissioned 3D Gell self adhesive Yorkshire Rose stickers primarily for car number plates as I wanted a pair for my Jeep / Van et They are 104 x 50mm  They can of course be stuck anywhere suitable (Careful)  The idea is to flog off the surplus stock I have.  £5 a pair plus the usual p&p and I have no idea how much that will be at present

Griff

BA_NBN_256.JPG

• Like 1

I bet at the moment Griff is wishing his water came from anywhere other than Yorkshire, not too good in the Doncaster area at the moment, by all accounts they have only just been allowed to use the water for showers after about 4 or 5 days of having contaminated water.

Alan - The affected area is restricted to parts of 'Thorne' well away from me and Donny too.  Thorne is close to the border with Lincolnshire - It's that 'orrible lot from Scunny wot dun it!

Griff

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BroadAmbition said:

Alan - The affected area is restricted to parts of 'Thorne' well away from me and Donny too.  Thorne is close to the border with Lincolnshire - It's that 'orrible lot from Scunny wot dun it!

Rumour is that they were trying to perfect a Scunny version of Irn Bru made wi Scunny girders, and failed miserably ! :naughty:

cheersIain

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Timbo said:

Christened in Thorne, Junior School in Balby, Vi Form in Scunny...that Uncle Albert's got a lot to answer for!

King Edward Infant and Junior School (Balby)

1970-75

Can still remember the head mistress Miss Burrell and one teacher with the biggest bee hive hairdo...

School now Doncaster Archive.

Stones above doors carved with boys and girls entrances.

After moving back from my time in Northampton, I now live just up the road from it.

cheersbar

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, donnygeoff said:

King Edward Infant and Junior School (Balby)

1970-75

Can still remember the head mistress Miss Burrell and one teacher with the biggest bee hive hairdo...

School now Doncaster Archive.

Stones above doors carved with boys and girls entrances.

After moving back from my time in Northampton, I now live just up the road from it.

cheersbar

KIng Edward Infant and Junior School Balby

1972-77

We overlapped at some point Geoff! The head teacher when I started was Ernie Bishop...little dapper feller with a pencil moustaches. The teachers I remember were Mrs Mosely first year (kinky boots, big boobs and a Nerys Hughes hair do), Mr Widowson in the second year (really really old bloke with three teeth to his name we used to call him Spitfire for obvious reasons) taught us copperplate handwriting. Mrs Hind in the third year. Asked us to write a story about our families...and called my Mum to show my efforts. You see at the time my Aunt changed her religion. I had obviously been earwigging as I wrote "My Mum says she was born a prostitute and will stay a prostitute until she dies!'.

Fourth year I was moved between classes, firstly Mr Low...who was very tall and Mr Nelson...who was even taller.

Names I remember from school were Peter Burrows, Shelly Savage, Mark Garthwaite (who I met up with again at VI Form in Scunthorpe) Nigel Spencer, the Lane brothers.

We lived on Carr Hill at the time, with my Nan living on Mona Road and my aunt living next door to us on Carr Hill. We moved out to the sticks in 77 across to Westwoodside.

It's a very small world really!

• Like 2