Come To The Broads, On Line.

JennyMorgan

I suspect the reason is right in front of you...

4 minutes ago, Jonzo said:

Some of those people would be great on our team and if we all worked together we could achieve much more.

The theory is great but we all want the others to join our team rather than we give up our little bit and join theirs!

• Like 4

Naturally there will always be people who try something and are hooked for life. You can say the same for golf, flying, skiing, almost anything but 50 years ago disposable income was less and there was not the choice of vacations and indeed hobbies that there is today.

Times change and so does fashion and perceived desirability of activity and destination. There were loads of boat hire holidays not just the Broads but The Thames, Grt Ouse, Yorkshire Ouse all have seen decline. A night out was the local, look what has happened to pubs. Once the continental holiday fired up the grey drab British persona there was no going back, the sangria, paella, calamari and flowing wine under a blue sky is one hell of a team to beat.

To answer Vaughan's question first...as a kid my love affair with the Broads began with the boats...Captain XII to be precise, then the countryside...the wildlife and fishing, and then the history. History became a lifelong passion that took me from the back alleys of Doncaster, to Cambridge, to Athens, to Bahrain, New England, Jerusalem, and finally back to where it started on the Broads.

Not all of time on the Broads, from childhood to adulthood, was spent boating. For many years we couldn't afford to go boating so instead we camped as a teenager I hiked around Broadland, I spent my first honeymoon under canvas at Potter Heigham. But Broadland is water-centric. The clue is in the name.

In later life what has become important to me about Broadland is the people that inhabit it. Without the good friends like Doug, Mike and Pat, John,  Martin, Fiona and Charlie I would have had to give up on Norfolk and quite a lot else. From locals to visitors the people of Broadland have been both supportive of me and an inspiration to me. Family almost. 

What distresses me about the current situation regarding the Broads is the political turmoil, back stabbing, general idiocy and scheme after stupid scheme coming from just one man. Just one man. Who demonstrates on a regular basis his total lack of understanding, knowledge and empathy for the communities of Broadland elected or otherwise riding rough shod over the majority and purposefully sidelining those that directly fund his organisation in pursuit of what I see as his personal agenda. Just one man. Just. One. Man.

If there was one issue to unite all of the disparate parties, for me it should be the immediate implementation of a democratically elected executive of the Broads Authority.

• Like 6

I do wonder which generation has got this right.

If we had our time again, I think we would enjoy ourselves more when we were young, have debts, don't worry about them, you don't know what's around the corner. 

For both of us now, get to 60 retire early, great opportunities, sounds great, so we thought too. We worked hard for it, time to enjoy retirement. We could  upgrade the boat, buy a house in Ludham, yes we started to look into that.

How wrong we were. We were both hit by medical conditions.

I don't know or even understand much about the politics of the Broads but my love affair started when I was five or six, one of my earliest and fondest memories was of me sitting on Dads lap 'driving the boat' a tatty old Gold Gem from Richardsons she may have been but I thought she was a palace, was taught to fish, learned about the wildlife and how to respect that environment, been on or near water at every opportunity ever since and showing my own children the very same. I hope it's allowed to continue for people old, young, middle aged and for generations to come, I know there are other places that are beautiful, home and abroad but there's just something special about the damn place and like all of you, has a hold over me that I just can't explain

Grace

• Like 3

Tan myself and the boys came to the Broads fairly recently 2001.

We love being close to the water be it the Broads, on canals or at the coast, funny really because neither Tan & I can swim.

Of course we have been boating since 1974. The slowing down from modern life is what appeals to us 4 to 6 mph just pottering about and wishing the time to get back into the car remains far away, sadly it always arrives and you are back to your daily pursuits.

Regards

Alan

• Like 3

I cannot link this myself as we are not on Face-ache but if some-one can post it here, you will see Crocodile Dundee in his hat, giving us the low-down, live from Whitlingham Gravel Pits. First shown on About Anglia yesterday evening.

Go to :

ITV Player website then select news, then your area - Anglia - and search Norfolk Broads.

The article is "Plan to get more youngsters to visit the Broads".

I live next to the sea, with panoramic views of the Isle of Arran every time we go to Morrisons or a drive along the seafront to Barassie. I was brought up in Ayr, so beach visits were many when a kid.

It was SWMBO who suggested we come to the Broads, a wonderful one it was too, why you may ask, when I live in a beautiful part of the country as it is? Simples, its different, once on the boat chugging along at break neck speed of 4mph, you forget all your worries, well we did, it was chill out time for Ruth and her Sister both being school teachers.

Its self catering but not as you know it!:norty: You choose to eat on board or go and sample the local fayre in the pubs etc.

Enjoy it ALL while you can, when you can is my message to you all. If you wish to walk n climb may I recommend climbing Goat Fell on Arran, the views are stunning nearlly 3000ft up !

cheersIain

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

I cannot link this myself as we are not on Face-ache but if some-one can post it here, you will see Crocodile Dundee in his hat, giving us the low-down, live from Whitlingham Gravel Pits. First shown on About Anglia yesterday evening.

Go to :

ITV Player website then select news, then your area - Anglia - and search Norfolk Broads.

The article is "Plan to get more youngsters to visit the Broads".

http://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2016-08-31/broad-plan-to-get-more-youngsters-to-visit-national-park/