Speleologist

Can see the RSPB going for this and then our problems will really start!

JM - Did you really have to post that on a public forum?

I had the same thought earlier today - Worst nightmare is if the RSPB get their hands on it.

As a result I'm now also looking down the back of the sofa, van seats, shooting jacket and even our holiday tin.  As a well timed lottery winner (Tonight?) I'd buy it just to keep it out of the clutches of the RSPB

Griff

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

Can see the RSPB going for this and then our problems will really start!

JM - Did you really have to post that on a public forum?

I had the same thought earlier today - Worst nightmare is if the RSPB get their hands on it.

As a result I'm now also looking down the back of the sofa, van seats, shooting jacket and even our holiday tin.  As a well timed lottery winner (Tonight?) I'd buy it just to keep it out of the clutches of the RSPB

Griff

I think it almost guaranteed that they are already looking at their overloaded coffers. 

• Like 2

With over one million members and income around £100 million it would be easy to raise that cash.

I think it was 2005 they spent 2.8 million on aquisition of land at Arne (Dorset) Halvergate (suffolk) and Hesketh (Lancs) so £2.5 is not without precedence.

And yet with all their income they still rattle their tin with some success at the door of the Lottery Heritage Fund.

If you want to look at sinister governance, look no further.

• Like 1

The Broad, Sailing Club, Boatyard, Nature reserve.

This makes interesting reading :-

http://www.costar.co.uk/en/assets/news/2016/September-2016/Hickling-Broad-Estate-put-up-for-sale/

The last paragraph in particular

Edited by ChrisB
To bring attention

I wonder if anyone has actually logged boat movements on Hickling, to me it's one of the most idilic broads on the system.

The broad extends to quite a large area, some unseen from the main navigation channel, although over the last 6 years we have noticed even these areas silting up, some with a depth of only 20" or less.

So if I owned Hickling, I would build the largest marina possible, multi screen cinema, ice rink, 10 pin bowling, fast food restaurants, a large multinational supermarket, with petrol station, with a petrol and diesel pumps on the marina lol,  a few theme pubs, an old peoples home, with all rooms over looking the broad, I will have the penthouse suite lol. I would allow a well known store from Wroxham to have a few shops too. Why not build a glass bottomed bridge, a theme park a railway or tram link.

This is all the things that Hickling is not, I hope non of it is ever developed but most important, I hope the current and future boating fraternity are not deprived of something that we have used and enjoyed for hundreds of years.

I wonder what the Broads Authourity think of this, they control and maintain the navigation, at the toll payers expense, I hope there is something written into the conditions of sale that navigation will continue.

What will happen to the Pleasure Boat inn, they recently spent tens of thousands on new quay heading, so who now actually owns this and the land and moorings?

• Like 1

Sadly it seems all the bad news for our Broads are all about money ! Looking at many places on the river,Horning ,Wroxham,Waveney to name a few are now in parts like the designs we see in some of the housing developments we now see around,with the loss of that traditional " Broads Landscape ' we knew in the past.We visit Hickling and area as to me it is one of the remaining unspoilt areas left on the Broads that has not changed to much.Viking there was a petrol outlet there in the seventies,hand wheeled pump operated by Mr Beale at the garage across from the Dyke, Passing through that bridge ,is like going back ito past times.My thoughts are what happened to the  "As Was " requirement needed some years back when you wanted to develop a property and had a shed load of restrictions to adhere to to make fit in ?

Much could revolve around the leases of the boatyard, sailing club etc. Depending on the length of such agreements the sale might go through in Lots with various buyers taking what is desirable to them. Brown's appear to be pushing the commercial aspect which I can not see going down well in certain quarters

23 hours ago, Speleologist said:

According to an article in today's Times, Hickling estate is on the market with an asking price of 2.3 million. Doesn't seem to be on the agent's website yet (Knight Frank).

For a tiny bit more £2.6 million, you could build yourself one of these..

80,000 visitors a day  that would sort Norfolk's tourist industry out, just need a canyon to build a bridge over lol.

Problem with the Chinese glass bridge, they had to close it 13 days later for maintence checks.

Now how about this for an idea, Wroxham has it's own seperate foot bridge, but pedestrians walking over the old Potter Heigham bridge have to take their lives in their hands, especially if you have small children.

So a glass bottomed foot bridge, walk of faith, and watch the boats go underneath, just inches away, would really put Potter Heigham on the map. 

Might be a good idea to put it on the upstream side though, or some **** will hit it lol. Give it the same clearance as the new road bridge, safe from big cruisers, masts etc. What a vantage point for the three rivers race.

Anyone willing to back this? please send non returnable deposit to ...

Richard

• Like 2

A shame we couldn't crowdfund a purchase. In the meantime lottery ticket purchased.

I'm doing my bit to stop the Royal Society for the Predation of the Belated by visiting all of my elderly relatives to stop the vultures from getting a foot in the door. When one great aunt told me she had left money to the RSPB I suggested it only fair that they should help with her shopping, cut the grass, change light bulbs for her etc. She would ring them two or three times a day until one day she informed me she had changed her will. "Those RSPB won't do anything when I ring them up so I've left it to the Blue Cross who sorted out Uncle Bill's pigeons for me." I consider it a job well done!

• Like 7

You want to watch me changing a light bulb for my mother in law, who is in her mid 80's and still living in her own home.

Since my shoulder replacement, I can't raise my left arm above shoulder height, so try unplugging a bayonet style bulb with just your right arm.

At home, I can use step ladders so my head is tilted and wedged against the ceiling, then I can change it lol.

All pictures that I hang now are also at shoulder height too lol. Actually, not quite true, my left arm can be lifted above my head, by my good arm, but won't stay there, so I load finger and thumb with said nail, push my arm up the wall with my good arm, then knock the nail in using a hammer with my right. Sorted.

How you manage to get round these problems lol.

• Like 1