Microsoft Windows 10 Update

Hylander

37 minutes ago, Hylander said:

I have just sat and waited for 2 1/2 hrs while Microsoft Windows 10 updated.      Hubby's laptop did it last week.   So be prepared to lose use of your laptop for a long time while it is doing it.

Sorry if this has been covered before.

Did both of our lap tops last weekend. The i3 took longer than the i5 but nothing like 2n a half hours. 

cheersIain

44 minutes ago, BroadScot said:

Did both of our lap tops last weekend. The i3 took longer than the i5 but nothing like 2n a half hours. 

cheersIain

Was much intervention by you involved over the course of the update Iain, or did it run without any involvement required from you ?

• Like 1

Yes, but now you can't disable Cortana, without going into the registry. I know she doesn't interfere if you don't use her (that sounds creepy), but there used to be an easy disable option. Another way Microsoft want you to have what they want, not what you want.

my android tablet did an update yesterday, and turned stuff that had been turned off back on without asking, then had to be rebooted again to finish urdating.

I may have to reboot my win 10 laptop so it can update in that case, though last time immediately after hitting the reboot button, I did the same for my linux laptop, that downloaded, updated rebooted and was back online, all before the win10 machine had managed to shut down.

We do live in Norfolk and the speed is terrible.      Other half's took 2 and 1/2 hrs as well as mine.   What I object to is the fact that there was not an option as to when to do it, it just did it.   Then spouts 'dont turn this laptop off'   well that is all very fine but what if you were nearly out of battery or could not leave it on for any reason.   Do tell me how it could be done overnight with the laptop switched off.

Yesterday I was on the laptop for 20 mins before going on a site visit and due back in a few hrs, so knew the lappy would be asleep when I returned but went into a reboot when I logged back on and lost it for over a hr doing the update it ran itself,

Screwed me over as couldn't logon to work server & mails etc.

I did mine yesterday as my chosen time and had no real issues with either doing the update or what was updated, I set a time that was convenient for both the actual update and to sort any issues if they had arisen, I am no expert by any means but wonder if the make and age of the equipment and its operating system has any bearing given there seems to be such a wide variation in experiences every time there is a major update.

Fred

Updated SWMBOs fairly modern laptop yesterday which hadn't been switched on since the end of July, it took about half an hour including two reboots.

We are lucky, in that a year or so ago BT dug a trench from Stalham to Lessingham and laid in a fibre optic cable. This has meant we went  to Broadband  6 mHz back then and since August have now got 24MHz broadband, not bad considering the distance from the Stalham exhchange, and one of their engineers 5 years ago said we would never get off dial up!!