Tile Removal

Baitrunner

Apart from the illustrious Mr Griff, does anyone have any top tips on removal a few tiles?

we had an old floor standing boiler which was replaced last week for a walk mounted one. 

I now have 4 tiles that had been cut to go around the old boiler that i need to remove.  I also have 4 spare tiles to replace these with, so zero room for errors. 

I have never had to do this so need to get it right. 

I have a grout remover tool which doesn't look like it will be too helpful. The grout and adhesive does seem to be very hard, but isn't concrete. It was proper tile adhesive.

I was thinking if a dremel with a fine cutting disc to make sure the grout was completely removed before I try and remove the old tiles.  Does this sound like it will work or should I just buy a rug?

any help gratefully received. cheers

Had a very similar problem when I dropped something sharp and heavy right in the middle of our dining room floor chipping a chunk out of the tile of course. I got the angle grinder with a thin stone disc and cut the damaged tile into sections that then easily broke away without disturbing the surrounding ones.

• Like 3

cheers all. Yep the angle grinder is out. Been there and seen the mess on other projects  

Thought the dremel might be a lighter touch though. I can also probably rig a dust extractor up to keep the mess down. I have a large dust collector for the table saw that can be hooked up to routers etc could get it near my work area.

My problem is patience. Or lack of it:facepalm:

think I have a plan now, pending any revelations from the Griff!

Apart from the illustrious Mr Griff, does anyone have any top tips on removal a few tiles?

Why? - Should have been obvious to ask me direct in the first place I would have thought

Sorry for delay, - had a proper full day. got collected at 0830 this morning, driven up to near to Carlisle to do a huge estimate, then back to Donny, home for 1700.  Then off to one of my local farmers (Where our syndicate shoot is run from) to reload his huge commercial wood burner (They are away for the weekend), got it filled and running only to discover one of the pumps not working, took me well over an hour to sort that one out.  Then out with MrsG for dinner.  then 2 x hrs trying to get the estimate typed up (Still not finished)   2130 off to the pub with the lads now home after having walked the hounds.

Ok tile removal (Same for floors and walls) without damaging the neighbouring tiles

Standard angle grinder with a fine diamond blade (Designed for use with ceramics / porcelain etc), safety glasses, henry hoover with plastic clevis tool.  Close internal doors to rest of house, open windows and or external door if there is one.

Keep clevis tool close the back of the blade then using angle grinder run it along the grout lines of the tiles to be removed down to a depth just below the bottom of the tiles.  Hammer - smack the tiles hard, then with sharp old wood chisel and hammer if needed remove the tiles in pieces.  Then again with sharp old wood chisel, VERY carefully and GENTLY remove remainder of grout to the edges of the remaining floor tiles that are still in place.  Clean the floor of old adhesive etc.  Fix in place replacement tiles, allow adhesive to cure then regrout

If you don't want to risk a standard angle grinder, a slower but safer / alternative tool is a multi tool and a 'Heel' diamond blade.  this will be slower but the results are the same.

What you DON'T do is just smack the damaged tiles with a hammer before removing the grout, this has the definite possibility of the shock wave transferring through the damaged tile through to neighbouring good tiles and chipping / damaging them too

Hope this helps,

Griff

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Baitrunner said:

Thanks Q. That just means more grass to cut :(

Oi I didn't say that,

I'd Dremel ( with face mask, goggles and gloves those cuttings disks are renown for breaking up in use)  Dremel the grout out round the edges so that there is no pressure on the adjoining tiles then using a small bolster try to get under the edges of tile to prise them off.

Trying to get under the tiles in the grout lines after removing the grout with a bolster no matter how small is asking for trouble damaging the adjoining tiles - Don't do it, just smack the tiles to be removed in the middle of em good and proper, then you can get under them from the middle of the tile outwards encouraging them to lift rather than shoving them sideways towards their neighbours

Griff

• Like 6

Thanks Griff. 

I shoukd have just pm'd you but that seemed too cheeky. I went for the subtle approach!!!! :naughty:  Too subtle for a busy Yorkshireman:bow:bow

i will probably start with the dremel as it worked for me cutting out my table deck fittings and it's not as mental as the angle grinder!!! If that takes too long maybe a multi tool will find its way into my workshop this week :dance

if you don't hear from me I cocked up and am relaying the whole floor:facepalm:

• Like 3