Salty Bottoms Easter

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The boats are all going to look great in the Yacht Station on Friday, all shiny and clean :grin:

It will be a different story by Sunday evening when our botties are salted :naughty:

There are some clean, shiny bits on Clanny thank's to Jonathan's magic wax, the hull is all done to the rubbing strake and to the gunwales on one side and for the first 6' from the bow the other side. The super structure, decks, bathing platform and canopy are filthy and I can't see me getting time to clean the rest up prior to the meet. will just have to hide her behind Sea Hunter and a surprisingly shiny Crackerjack. cheersbar

There are some clean, shiny bits on Clanny thank's to Jonathan's magic wax, the hull is all done to the rubbing strake and to the gunwales on one side and for the first 6' from the bow the other side. The super structure, decks, bathing platform and canopy are filthy and I can't see me getting time to clean the rest up prior to the meet. will just have to hide her behind Sea Hunter and a surprisingly shiny Crackerjack. cheersbar

Ian..... you really shouldn't have posted that. I have only just finished nagging LB into submission in terms of polishing the bling. You have now given him an escape route duh! :evil::o:lol:

With all these fast Sealines I had to give Crackerjack a polish as it might be worth another Knot :naughty:

Are we listing some waypoints for the run out.

Jonathan :Stinky

Hi all...

Yes Johnathan, I absolutely agree that we should have a waypoint route planned for the journey, I would never go out to sea without a passage plan and route to follow. GPS or not...(I still havent got a C Map card for mine, though I will have by the time we go), and in worse case scenario I would have to use a map anyway. We have never navigated north of Gt Yarmouth and so I would not be happy without an indication of a route.

I think it would also be wise, as a simple matter of courtesy (with my safety hat on), to advise the coast guard that we have a number of boats going out.

thoughts???

adam... :pirate

As I have never plotted a course, or planned a passage, I will be on a very steep learning curve. I'll have my laptop with the plotter software and GPS dongle, and a Garmin eTrex. I will need taking through it in "idiot speak", if one of you kind experienced salty types can help ..... pleeeeeease!

Would we be best to do this at a "briefing" on the Friday evening at Lowestoft maybe?

I dont have chart plotter or gps on board so unless I can pick one up Sea Jem might have to stay in the marina. :(

I did my day skipper theory recently so it is reasonably fresh in my mind, but the whole going to sea bit might be best after I have followed up with the 4 day practical anyway.

Wayne

Wayne

Why don't you pick up a coastal map. Even if you have GPS/Plotter etc, its a good idea to have the paper map on board anyway, so when/if you upgrade it wouldn't be money wasted..

The Lowestoft map is pretty easy to understand - there is a couple of sand banks which you keep clear of, but they are easily identifiable on the map, and easy to remember too.

I gave all my maps away when I sold my other Sealine as I didn't expect to get another salty boat, so I have just ordered this:-

http://www.rya.org.uk/shop/pages/product.aspx?pid=SCF5614%28RYADefaultCatalog%29&mode=t&cat=Charts+Almanacs+%26+Pilotage%28RYA+Main%29&type=CHA%28RYADefaultCatalog%29&course=

Some of the more experienced members might be able to pick a better selection for you, but this selection covers what I need for now. If you are a member of RYA you will also get 15% discount.

By the way, if there is going to be a course set, could we include the Seals as I've never had the time to pop up there before !

Hi all...

Mark...I think it would be a really good idea if we had a "route briefing" and perhaps those who have more experience could plot a course up to Scroby sands from lowestoft. I will give it ago too two guns

Wayne...the luxury of having GPS should not replace the basic know how of the map and compass (as my instructor said) and my first ever journey was bringing back Jupiter mist from Burnham on Crouch to Lowestoft (approx 70 miles).

As part of my boat handling course, I had to plan that route on a map beforehand (and follow it!!!) and we never even switched on the GPS during the passage. Its a really good discipline to learn...after all..mariners have being doing it for years long before GPS was invented!!!

ps..I wanna see the seals too! :naughty:

LB

From the forecast charts it looks like we may get the weather so seal spotting it is, early days yet though.

Adam you are dead right, relying purely on chart plotters and GPS is very bad practice, I tend to plot on paper as this is far easier and then transfer the waypoints into the plotter, last year the course from paper took me straight through a drying height on the plotter so I moved the waypoint to a place that was safe on both, assume the paper was right but decided discretion was the better part of valour. :o

Wayne, I only have day skipper theory, not saying that you shouldn't do the practical and any training can only be a good thing but you are as qualified as me and I will be out there. :Stinky

Mark, don't worry about the idiot speak I am fluent as it is my native language :grin:

As we are getting very close now it might be a good idea if those attending can confirm, I can then confirm everything with Oulton and try and get RNSYC to put us aside some space.

Ian

hi,

on the subject of CHARTS!!i use one for the east coast it,s a standfordssmall boat,s chart ,they,are made from tearproof/waterproof paper so can take some stick on board and under the chart table http://www.stanfords.co.uk/stock/the-ea ... lk-126124/.

As regarding the trip to Scroby sands ...to see the seals,you,ll have to get pretty close to a dangerous piece of shifting sands to get a good view,Sealions and seals fight you know if you run aground ,this will be very much dependent on wind/tide and swell for me to go there!!.

If anybody dosn,t fancy that long a trip on sat a quick trip out to see how the boats handle ...especialy for us first time out to sea in a new boat,to them, may be a better option with a longer trip on sunday...lowestoft to Yarmouth (via scroby)what do you think??

confirm The Grand Cru for friday at oulton and one night at lowestoft.

Wayne

Why don't you pick up a coastal map. Even if you have GPS/Plotter etc, its a good idea to have the paper map on board anyway, so when/if you upgrade it wouldn't be money wasted..

The Lowestoft map is pretty easy to understand - there is a couple of sand banks which you keep clear of, but they are easily identifiable on the map, and easy to remember too.

I gave all my maps away when I sold my other Sealine as I didn't expect to get another salty boat, so I have just ordered this:-

http://www.rya.org.uk/shop/pages/product.aspx?pid=SCF5614%28RYADefaultCatalog%29&mode=t&cat=Charts+Almanacs+%26+Pilotage%28RYA+Main%29&type=CHA%28RYADefaultCatalog%29&course=

Some of the more experienced members might be able to pick a better selection for you, but this selection covers what I need for now. If you are a member of RYA you will also get 15% discount.

By the way, if there is going to be a course set, could we include the Seals as I've never had the time to pop up there before !

Having a chart on board is a legal requirement of your insurance gps is not.

Jonathan :Stinky

Ian I will confirm when I'm back in the water.

As we are getting very close now it might be a good idea if those attending can confirm, I can then confirm everything with Oulton and try and get RNSYC to put us aside some space.

Ian

Hi Ian

When you try and confirm spaces with them, can you ask them whether it will be OK to do an Easter Egg Hunt for the kids in the grounds or the clubhouse if the weather is inclement please. Also, is there a large screen TV, said beasties could watch a film on whilst drinking bar bought fizzy drinks and pop on the Saturday evening whilst we chill in the bar without them ice slice:grin: