So Are The Broads Flooding?

JanetAnne

Tide already looks to be .5m higher than expected and with the wind still fairly strong from the NW it looks like they got it right this time. Still some time to go but if you look here http://www.ntslf.org/data/realtime?port=Lowestoft you will see the problem - the tide did not really go out today!

Latest warning was for the Lower Bure and that is caused just by the tide not going anywhere and backing up.

Defo beginning to look a bit dodgy! Probably not the best times to make cracks about GY - it was lapping over the top on Wednesday so tonight, if it continues will be touch and go. If I recall the tide earlier in the week on the graph was around 3.5m and it looks as though it might get there or more.

Keep safe folks, wherever you are around this coast - you might need to!

• Like 1

From the graph it looks as though it won't be long Peter - it will be touch and go tonight. I think Walcott has been evacuated and it is worrying times looking every bit as bad as 2013. My guess it is already going over or about to go over the top in places like Yarmouth

Perhaps the only small plus is that the winds seem a little less than originally expected but its still pretty strong.

The sea water is pouring over the top of Mutford Lock at this moment, the Broad is flooded and water topping the river walls. Judging by the water in my garden it is as high as the historic 1953 flood. I only hope that Richard (NBF) and his dogs are safe on their mooring at Oulton Broad Yacht Station. As for me by road I'm cut of from civilisation unless I want to go for a paddle. Brrrrr, it's freezing so no way!

4 hours ago, grendel said:

At this rate Griff will be going round the side of potter bridge

Just back from loosening a friends ties at Herbert Woods. The bridge is showing 5 foot 2 hours before the peak. All of the carpark flooded and the water approaching Lathams . ( cheap biscuits tomorrow although they might be a bit soggy ).

Hi all,

Karen and I hope all are well, and that those that are affected by the floods are not hit too bad. I feel a bit awkward saying this from the safety of where we are, but I always think of, and treat The Broads as our second home, as I always do feel at home when up there.

If this were to happen elsewhere in the world, there would be celebrities using their fame to try and make us donate to an areas reconstruction, I wonder if you will see anyone famous trying to raise money for the people of the east coast region. Somehow I very much doubt it.

Karen and I wish all that are at risk all the best, and hope all is well.

• Like 3

I toddled around the manor earlier, just to check you know. The tide line was quite clear, Oulton Broad came incredibly near to bursting its bank at at least one point. Despite a great deal of salt water entering the Broad over the Lock there don't appear to be any dead fish, pheww!

• Like 1

Very interesting to read the updates from those who have been in the area. We can get Anglia News on the cable tv so were watching that last night. But I agree that the east coast doesn't tend to get that much coverage nationally.

It also looks as though there was a proper low tide today and that should enable some of the excess start to drain away - over the next 24hrs still some fairly big tides but after that falling off quite a lot thankfully. In addition after tonight the winds dropping with high pressure setting in, and that too should be another factor in getting these levels back to approaching normality over the rest of this week.

Peter - you could see it was going to bad at Mutford!! Thankfully no real damage done but it must have been touch and go!!  You could probably have sailed half way up your lawn!!

• Like 1